• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spring set in magizines

Judge.410

Hi Everyone,
I'd like opinions on spring set (memory) for magizines. I still rotate mine about every 3 months, but I've been told by alot of folks you don't have to any more because the steel used nowadays is alot better and you can leave your magizines loaded for a year or longer. Some opinions are you can also load one or two less rounds in the mags. and they won't take a set. I use Kim-Pro Tac-Mags and Wilson Combat. Thanks

When People Lose Everything...They Have Nothing To Lose...And They Lose It ! " Semper Paratus " (Always Ready)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have never suffered a failure of a mag spring with any quality mag.

I daily carry either a S&W PC 1911 or a Les Baer TRS 1911, both with 8 rd mags topped off full.

My hands down favorite 1911 magazine is the Cobra II by Tripp Research. They also have rebuild kits and mag springs of superior quality.
http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
A 1911 mag made in 1911 and loaded since 1911 should still work fine, assuming it didn't corrode from improper storage.

"Creep" in metal at room temperature is pretty much negligible.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I think it is pretty much an non issue. I normally leave all of my mags fully loaded, sometimes for years between using them, and they all function flawlessly. Just my experience although I'm sure someone may come up with a failure story or two but I think it would be rare.

Gunslinger

I have a mag for my Hi-Power that's been loaded since I carried it in SEA almost 40 years ago. Never have had a problem. Whether fully compressed or fully relaxed, the fatigue is identical from what I've read. At least on well made magazines like a Browning's.

Judge.410

Thanks to all....it is settled.....I will leave my magizines alone...it's alot less work and worry for me. I just wanted to eliminate a possible problem when the "chips were down". I've not had any issues so far and I've got an old beretta that dates back to 1944 and 2 original magizines......no problems. Thanks Again

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Scientifically, a spring should never experience loss of tension or pressure unless operated outside the confines of the material and angle/diameter ratio.

But this means nothing if the designer of the magazine is a moron, or simply doesn't care if it fails.

'Piano wire' is the most common, but it's composition can vary wildly. However, it's also the easiest to finagle.

You can remove it from the magazine, stretch it, and bake it to 're temper' it. This is, in fact, how they are made in the first place. If it's messed up anyway, what have you got to lose?