• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Jason Frierson, Nevada Assembly, district 8

Nevada carrier

Please write your respective legislator! after this legislative session it will be another 2 years before they meet again, and they only meet for 3 months per session, the time to get things done is right now! What ever you want accomplished, they won't know unless we tell them.

Mr. Frierson,

I am a registered voter and currently enrolled at the College of Southern Nevada. I have made the lawful carry of firearms for self defense a part of my daily life for some time. In a perfect world, we shouldn’t have a need to carry arms, however, neither you nor I live in that world. What I am about to ask you may seem extreme at first, but I will take you through the logical process to justify why what I am about to ask of you is absolutely necessary in order to maintain the level of freedom, liberty and security we have in Nevada; freedoms that few other states enjoy.

Currently, Nevada law totally prohibits the carry of firearms on college and university campuses without written permission from the president of the institution. For all practical prepossess, this written permission is arbitrarily denied. I am asking you to cast your vote to change Nevada’s law to remove this arbitrary restriction of my liberty. I know you are probably asking yourself why it is necessary to be armed on a college campus, but first let me remind you that first and foremost, the right to bear arms is not only guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, but by the Nevada Constitution as well.

Personally, I rarely have concern for my safety while on CSN campuses attending classes, but part of being a student is getting to and from campus. This law abridging my right to bear arms while on campus effectively extends beyond the boundaries of that institution. I do not magically arrive at school, I must drive there. Please also consider that I am privileged in that I have access to my own vehicle. Many less fortunate students must rely on public transportation or even walk to campus. Is it constitutional to require that any students of any circumstance I’ve described be deprived of their righteous ability to provide for their own defense while going to or coming from their classes?

Lets also not forget that in Las Vegas, classes take place almost around the clock; Is it fair that a student must walk, ride a bus or drive to school during the nighttime hours in such high crime neighborhoods as Charleston and Torrey Pines, Cheyenne and Pecos or Maryland Parkway and Tropicana without having the choice of exercising their right to take responsibility for their own self defense?

In closing, please let me add that the overwhelming majority of firearms owners and concealed carry permit holders are incredibly law abiding citizens. To debar them the right to bear arms simply because they cross an invisible college boundary for fear that these same students will lose respect for the law by virtue of being on campus is preposterous. The current prohibition does nothing to prevent someone already intent on a criminal act from crossing onto a college campus to perpetrate their crime.

There is a very strong possibility that you will have an opportunity to cast a vote that will remove this unconstitutional restriction of our liberty as citizens of the United States and residents of the State of Nevada. When that time comes, I trust you will think back to this letter and apply logic and reason, rather than partisan policy. I ask that you vote to give college students back their right to provide for their own defense while they are on, going to and coming from their college campus. Remember, college students are voters too.

I welcome your timely response, and will gladly answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Brother... I liked that Letter, Nice work.

I sent it to Travis Barricks wife, because she is enrolled at Boyd law school (UNLV)

For the first time they have started the second amendment society. I do not know facts but i guesss it is a big deal because they are recognized by the school. Travis's ife is a member of the 2-A Society and I thought by sharing your letter it might prompt more action.

varminter22

Please write your respective legislator! after this legislative session it will be another 2 years before they meet again, and they only meet for 3 months per session, the time to get things done is right now! What ever you want accomplished, they won't know unless we tell them.

Minor correction: Actually, it is four months (120 days) every two years.

The 76th Session of the Nevada Legislature will begin on February 7, 2011, and will end on June 6, 2011.

For sure, it is - and will continue to be - very important to write/email/call/fax your legislators!