• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry vs Vehicle Transport

frankd

Okay, I can't get a clear answer on this one. I do not have a concealed carry permit (yet). So, when I open carry and am in my vehicle, what is the LEGAL way to transport my weapon?

I have heard:

• Leave it on the seat in plain sight while loaded.
    It has to be in a locked compartment of the vehicle (ie. the glove box or center console) and it has to be unloaded.
    Out of reach and unloaded

Sorry for the newbie question, but I want to protect myself should I make a dumb traffic decision.

Also, do I have to declare that I have a weapon in the vehicle?

Thanks,
Frank

wylde007

The law changed July 1. You may now carry LOADED in a SECURED (does not say "locked" in the statute) compartment without a CHP.

Otherwise, the best place to carry your sidearm is on your side. Open carry is not affected by being seated in a vehicle any more than it is by being seated in a booth at a restaurant with your strong side to the wall.

There are a handful of available options for console-mounted holsters, too. Probably the worst two places to "open" carry a sidearm are your dashboard and your passenger seat. In a crash, your sidearm could become a very dangerous projectile. Some people advise against this practice.

I am one of them. Wear your gun.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Also, do I have to declare that I have a weapon in the vehicle?

Thanks,
Frank

1. Welcome.
2. Wear it in a holster on your hip.
3. You don't HAVE to declare it by law.. so it is up to you.
4. Don't call it a WEAPON.. for plenty of reasons.. I will get some flack for saying that but the MAJORITY thinks it is better to call it a firearm, gun, pistol, Kimber, Glock, leadslinger, revolver,etc.

TFred

and it has to be unloaded.
Out of reach and unloaded
Just to wrap up these two loose ends...

These two conditions may be referencing the Federal Firearms Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), which generally allows you to transport your firearms through states and cities where doing so may be otherwise illegal.

These two conditions apply to that law, and it's a bit tricky, so before trying it yourself, read up on it very carefully.

Here's a summary, scroll down to the section titled "FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS."

TFred