Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AZ Rep Gabrielle Giffords and 3 staffers shot at event.

AZ Rep Gabrielle Giffords and 3 staffers shot at event.

Just saw this on the news and found this link. My prayers are with her and her staffers families.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/repor...ll-in-arizona/
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

The news is reporting her passing. So sad. Major failure of her security team.

Even more sad, a child was shot and killed by the gunman. My prayers are with all those killed, injured and affected by this tragedy.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Here it comes....

Well, that didn't take long. Some talking head on CNN already accusing the "rabid right" and "lunatic" gun owners for this shooting. Idiots.... we have no idea at this point who the shooter is, or what the motive might be.

Of course they're going to blame the "right" and gun owners for this. This is a horrible event and it's really sad that some lunatic felt he needed to do this to another human being. My prayers are with her and her family. I hope that everyone can remain calm and punish the person for his or her crime instead of sticking him with a group of people and blaming them as a whole.
    HOOAH?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Brace yourself for a new onslaught vilifying the evil guns and Arizona's new Constitutional Carry laws.

We must remain rational, even with our detractors. This was the result of a person's action, who ignored the laws in place. Will be looking and waiting for more detailed information.

Very sad. Have to wonder about the security (if any) and belated response if they where there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Brace yourself for a new onslaught vilifying the evil guns and Arizona's new Constitutional Carry laws.

We must remain rational, even with our detractors. This was the result of a person's action, who ignored the laws in place. Will be looking and waiting for more detailed information.

Very sad. Have to wonder about the security (if any) and belated response if they where there.
    The only report I heard on that is NONE. I checked out her website. She was getting a lot of NASTY mail. No security at all wasn't smart.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

She was on Palins target list
    http://twitpic.com/3o7jnn

I wander if there is any relation

Quote Originally Posted by ComSec View Post

Let's not leap to conclusions. It will all come out in due course. They have a suspect in custody.

This may seem a bit premature, but it will be asked at some point:

Does anyone know if firearms are/were prohibited in that Safeway store?

What is Safeway's corporate policy?

I'm sure there will be a rash of "knee-jerk woulda, coulda, shoulda" reactions to this tragic event.

Those who want to view a live stream can watch CNN's raw stream

http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b4185.htm

Click on the play, a pop-up window will start the CNN Stream.

There's a press conference in 15 minutes.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her and the others who were shot.

Fox news reports that 19 were shot and 5 have died. She is still alive but in critical condition.

As Mr. Boehner (spelled the name right?) had stated, that this attack is an attack on all of them--it is!

In the news reports it appear that the shooter was tackled by a bystander. There must have been zero security. She was shot in the head, hopefully it was a graze, but head shot are always bad bad bad news.

I think that the political bitterness that has been going on between the two parties the past few years has reached a boiling point where some nut-job (who cares what side he is on) decides to go out and start shooting congress-people.

I hope the POS gets the chair. And I hope all injured recover fully.

**Gifford was pro-gun** Described as a Blue Dog Democrat.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 01-08-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by ComSec View Post

IMHO - that type of rationale is inappropriate at this time.

There is enough ignorance and hate on that link to last me a lifetime.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    This may seem a bit premature, but it will be asked at some point:

Does anyone know if firearms are/were prohibited in that Safeway store?

What is Safeway's corporate policy?

I'm sure there will be a rash of "knee-jerk woulda, coulda, shoulda" reactions to this tragic event.
    Don't know about the store policy, but based on a witness account of the shooting the incident took place outside of the store on a covered walkway up against the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed View Post
    Let's not leap to conclusions. It will all come out in due course. They have a suspect in custody.
    yea but who's story LOL

Im still waiting for more info so I wont say to much, but this will have get the AGs going

a
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    IMHO - that type of rationale is inappropriate at this time.

There is enough ignorance and hate on that link to last me a lifetime.
    I agree that at this time it is inappropriate. But it does beg the question, but that question be held for a later date.

There is a lot of ignorance and hate. Is it not an ignorant thing to do though, putting a target over a representatives name, and the page reading "it's time to take a stand"? Considering one of those "targets" has now been shot in the head; could this maybe have been not so good of an idea to create a list like that, gun tone to it, a political hit-list (of course, we all know Palin didn't intend for people to actually go out and shoot congress-people).
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 01-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010802631.html

AP sources: Ariz. gunman ID'ed as Jared Laughner

Edit: apparently spelled Loughner
    Last edited by bom1911; 01-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Dr Rhee has just stated that they have 10 patients - five in surgery and five more in critical condition. One additional patient, a 9 year old child is deceased.

The congress woman was shot in the side of the head, has undergone neuro-surgery and they are very "optimistic" about her condition. She is in ICU now.

http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b4185.htm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-08-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added

Shooter identified as Jarred Loughner, 22 yrs old (white) from Tucson. (KOLD Tucson) Unidentified bystander tackled the shooter and effected a capture. Local radio news (101.4 FM) had a caller who said the bystander was his room mates father... and that (I quote): "He'll prob'ly get fined... because he shot him." That's unconfirmed but it's possible that the capture of the shooter was effected by an LAC.

NPR of course reported that the shooter used an automatic weapon... (doubtful). TPD stated that the shooter had prior arrests (unk for what).

A Judge was also shot, possibly killed... which muddies the scenario as to who the intended target was. Motive is unk... and no sane person would speculate on that.

Giffords at last report was still alive (Univ. Med Center surgeon sez... KOLD) I saw TPD and Pima County Sheriff vehicles (lights on) heading east on Ina Rd when I first heard of the shooting (phone call). I was heading west a few blocks from I-10. 'Watching updates now on KOLD, Tucson.

Oh... Safeway is not posted for carry. I've carried in that store and so has my wife. This incident happened outside on the pavement adjacent to the parking lot.

an AP report says the shooter used a pistol so I assume he only used one weapon. I wonder how much time he had before he was finally subdued and if he reloaded and how much he reloaded. I am also curious if any of her staff members or anyone else possibly at the event were armed. I would guess that some of this was caught on film as well.

I feel bad for her and the others shot especially the child. I hope there isn't a backlash in regards to this crime and that the blame falls solely on this who were directly involved.

Very sad!

Hopefully those injurred will recover fully. I have two daughters and hearing of a 9yr old being killed boils my blood! If this was a politically motivated act why shoot a child?

Let's hope this murderer is quickly executed.

Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    an AP report says the shooter used a pistol so I assume he only used one weapon. I wonder how much time he had before he was finally subdued and if he reloaded and how much he reloaded. I am also curious if any of her staff members or anyone else possibly at the event were armed. I would guess that some of this was caught on film as well.

I feel bad for her and the others shot especially the child. I hope there isn't a backlash in regards to this crime and that the blame falls solely on this who were directly involved.
    CNN has just reported that the BG's gun was a Glock 9mm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-08-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: fix

No doubt, this tragedy will be exploited to its fullness by those who want the passage of one anti gun ownership law or another.
    O'Bama will be addressing the nation tonight. There will be some rhetoric thrown around such as there is too many guns on the street or some other vague and tired cliche. Those who believe that restrictive gun laws will stop criminals will pounce all over this.

With that said, the victims and their families will be remembered in my thoughts and prayers.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

A national tragedy. Makes me sick to my stomach.....

I've seen people make remarkable recoveries from gunshot wounds to the brain. Evidently, the congresswoman did well in surgery and is responding to commands, so the surgeon seems optimistic. My heart goes out to all the survivors and their loved ones. One wonders what can poison a mind so severely that a person would fire blindly into a crowd and kill a 9 year old. Pure evil.

Drudge has a headline saying that someone in the crowd fired back at the perp. The link doesn't seem to work. We'll find out.
    Last edited by Dutch Uncle; 01-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast