• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZ Rep Gabrielle Giffords and 3 staffers shot at event.

45acpForMe

Very sad!

Hopefully those injurred will recover fully. I have two daughters and hearing of a 9yr old being killed boils my blood! If this was a politically motivated act why shoot a child?

Let's hope this murderer is quickly executed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
an AP report says the shooter used a pistol so I assume he only used one weapon. I wonder how much time he had before he was finally subdued and if he reloaded and how much he reloaded. I am also curious if any of her staff members or anyone else possibly at the event were armed. I would guess that some of this was caught on film as well.

I feel bad for her and the others shot especially the child. I hope there isn't a backlash in regards to this crime and that the blame falls solely on this who were directly involved.

CNN has just reported that the BG's gun was a Glock 9mm

Last edited:

c45man

No doubt, this tragedy will be exploited to its fullness by those who want the passage of one anti gun ownership law or another.
O'Bama will be addressing the nation tonight. There will be some rhetoric thrown around such as there is too many guns on the street or some other vague and tired cliche. Those who believe that restrictive gun laws will stop criminals will pounce all over this.

With that said, the victims and their families will be remembered in my thoughts and prayers.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
A national tragedy. Makes me sick to my stomach.....

I've seen people make remarkable recoveries from gunshot wounds to the brain. Evidently, the congresswoman did well in surgery and is responding to commands, so the surgeon seems optimistic. My heart goes out to all the survivors and their loved ones. One wonders what can poison a mind so severely that a person would fire blindly into a crowd and kill a 9 year old. Pure evil.

Drudge has a headline saying that someone in the crowd fired back at the perp. The link doesn't seem to work. We'll find out.

Last edited:

MK

I had been looking through some of his stuff and it definitely looks like the guy was in meltdown mode. It really creeped me out. I don't think its an issue of politics but one of mental instability. I can see how he had trouble balancing his own illusions with that of the rest of society as a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAx8WzNJT0

Last edited:

MDA_II

Yeah, the guy being interviewed also stated that he was on the ground "playing dead" so he wouldn't get shot though so who knows what actually happened....

since9

Campaign Veteran
First, my condolences to the families and friends of Judge John Roll and the others who died today. My prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, and their friends and family.

I had been looking through some of his stuff and it definitely looks like the guy was in meltdown mode. It really creeped me out. I don't think its an issue of politics but one of mental instability.

While it is an issue of mental instability, rest assured the antis will attempt to spin it into an issue of politics.

I would like to share with you one of the most telling quotes concerning the incident from this article:

"Caroline LaPer, who lives only a few blocks from the crime scene and was walking her golden retriever past the store Saturday afternoon, was looking out her window earlier in the day when she saw helicopters circling above. Then her husband called from a home show in downtown Tucson to say "There's been a shooting at Safeway. Don't go anywhere."

"It's just devastating. It's numbing. It's disheartening," said Caroline LaPer, who didn't witness the shooting. "What is going on this world?""

The fact that people like this are out there is one of several reasons why we carry!

Another reason involves criminals who would illegally deprive ourselves, our family, or our friends of life or limb just to obtain some ill-gotten gain.

It's nothing new under the sun, Caroline - just the usual human insanity run amok. If they didn't have access to a firearm, they'd find other ways of harming others.

Caroline's reaction underscores what most people believe: "Everything's fine, the police will protect us..."

No. They may try to protect you, but in the end, it's up to each and every one of us to remain vigilant against those who would try and curb our right to life, libery, and the pursuit of happiness. As crime statistics have clearly demonstrated over the last 100 years, it's absolutely critical to ensure that every American citizen who is willing and able to defend themselves with arms be allowed to do so, as that has clearly had the greatest deterrent effect on crime.

Last edited:

MK

There are alot of victims in this attack. I wonder how many rounds his weapon held and also if someone else fired back at him and if they accidentily hit bystanders.

CalicoJack10

There are alot of victims in this attack. I wonder how many rounds his weapon held and also if someone else fired back at him and if they accidentily hit bystanders.

+1

That is definately a concern for me too. It is my understanding taht the gunman fired 26shots, so it is possible he had time to reload (though you can get 32 round mags for glock), but I seriously hope that nobody was hit by the person trying to stop the guy.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
+1

That is definately a concern for me too. It is my understanding taht the gunman fired 26shots, so it is possible he had time to reload (though you can get 32 round mags for glock), but I seriously hope that nobody was hit by the person trying to stop the guy.

someone said it was a Hi Capacity Glock 17, which makes me think 33 rnd mag.

since9

Campaign Veteran
AZ Law Enforcement Confirms: A Person in the Crowd Shot at the Gunman

I hope this is confirmed....it would be one small bright spot in a tragic event.

Apparently, AS LE has already confirmed this, which would be a serious kudo to 2A rights. Imagine how many more people might have been injured or lost their lives if the law-abiding citizen in the crowd had not been carrying?

ETA: Nevermind.

Just goes to show how distored the information can get until the myriad of misstatements are sorted.

Last edited:

TFred

Apparently, AS LE has already confirmed this, which would be a serious kudo to 2A rights. Imagine how many more people might have been injured or lost their lives if the law-abiding citizen in the crowd had not been carrying?

ETA: Nevermind.

Just goes to show how distored the information can get until the myriad of misstatements are sorted.
The local Sheriff also just answered a direct question on the matter, and stated that there was "no exchange of gunfire".

TFred