• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time: VA AG "boasts of bucking" VCDL

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I texted Ken and he texted me back...

He said he will be able to explain more when the gmu case is over and he
called the reporters word choice of "boast" a load of b.s.

and.. before you ask.. I am glad he responded to me.. he didn't have to.
I am not going to get into a back-and-forth with him via text on
challenges and questions.. I will wait and see what he has to say.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Citizen, your post requires more time than I have right now, requiring research and citation. I owe it to you, though.

'sOK. You have a good rep for integrity here and in VCDL. I was thinking you could dash off a few examples as clues for me to follow up. But, I can also take your word for it until election time comes 'round when I do my own research.

Thanks for the offer, though.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He said he will be able to explain more when the gmu case is over and he
called the reporters word choice of "boast" a load of b.s.

and.. before you ask.. I am glad he responded to me.. he didn't have to.
I am not going to get into a back-and-forth with him via text on
challenges and questions.. I will wait and see what he has to say.

He is very good about responding Ed.
He's already said he wasn't going to talk about the GMU case (Months ago) but he should talk about the interview.

He does have a couple Assistant AG's that need a gag. That's another matter.

I'm rooting for his Obamacare case to be upheld because that should knock a chunk out of the Interstate Commerce clause that keeps coming back to bite us.

I'll see if I can get him to comment next week.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh come on Tess...I call BS!
What hate mail did Ken send you?

Peter,

You have to think through on these things a little bit.

Its not like Cuccinelli has ever sent out mailings with content tagging him literally as a Latter Day Klansman. We all know that.

However, we do know Tess' position on several issues, and we know Cuccinelli's positions. I have seen his literature; I can see how Tess would call some of his literature "hate." Its called hyperbole. Truthfully, while not literally "hate", the word "intolerant" would not be far off the mark.

I won't more than mention that Cuccinelli seems willing to force his religious views and derivatives therefrom on others.

Anyway, you gotta think through on these things just a little bit sometimes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter,

You have to think through on these things a little bit.

Its not like Cuccinelli has ever sent out mailings with content tagging him literally as a Latter Day Klansman. We all know that.

However, we do know Tess' position on several issues, and we know Cuccinelli's positions. I have seen his literature; I can see how Tess would call some of his literature "hate." Its called hyperbole. Truthfully, while not literally "hate", the word "intolerant" would not be far off the mark.

I won't more than mention that Cuccinelli seems willing to force his religious views and derivatives therefrom on others.

Anyway, you gotta think through on these things just a little bit sometimes.

I know what Tess meant Citizen!
And...I just deleted a page of response.:banghead:

AbNo

Whoa! whoa! whoa!

Never, never, ever accept anything Time says at face value. Never.

This. I trust Time about as much as I trust MSNBC or CNN, in that if they said it was raining outside my house I would not bother to pack an umbrella.

2) This Time report tends to drive a wedge between the VA AG and gun owners. This is the sort of thing that would need to be double-verified before being accepted.

All it would take is for Cuccinelli to have reported the GMU business straightforwardly, then Time distorts it into a boast. Suddenly, gun owners are at the AG's throat--to the gleeful satisfaction of Time.

Pretty much.

Other examples of liberal media bias: the 2008 elections. McCain (a weak, WEAK candidate) was the darling of CNN/MSNBC/Time/Newsweek/whatever when it was time for the Republican primaries. As soon as he got the nomination, well, the kid gloves came off from the media's claws.

When it comes to politics, I look at what the left-wing press is saying about someone, and I generally think the opposite.

He does have a couple Assistant AG's that need a gag. That's another matter.

You misspelled "session of wall-to-wall counseling from their boss".

Last edited:

Repeater

New York Times Co. v. Sullivan

(Not a criticism directed at Repeater. Just a comment to readers in general.)

In a controversy involving Time, I would throw the burden of proof onto Time, given that publication's track record.

The problem is, Ken is a public figure. As such, the entire burden is on him, not Time, in accordance with New York Times Co. v. Sullivan.

So, Ken can say either he was quoted accurately, or he can say he was misquoted. Either way, he has a problem.

Either way, it's not our problem. He made his bed.

AbNo

The problem is, Ken is a public figure. As such, the entire burden is on him, not Time, in accordance with New York Times Co. v. Sullivan.

So, Ken can say either he was quoted accurately, or he can say he was misquoted. Either way, he has a problem.

You know, I see what you mean. Other people, with shoddy reputations have made accusations against public figures, such as...

"Hugo Chavez Mouthpiece Says U.S. Hit Haiti With 'Earthquake Weapon'". (Yeah, that was my earthquake weapon, sorry. )

The ENTIRETY of the 9/11 Truther Movement (Bush did it!)

Anything Ahmadinejad says. Seriously, this guy is crazy.

Skidmark's becoming a public figure, at this point. So of course he must be guilty, so of course the burden of proof is on him now.

Duke Lacrosse, anyone?

Anita Hill....

I'm sure many of you can think of your own. As far as NYT v Sullivan, stupidity and/or ignorance is a valid defense. With that in mind, this IS Time we're talking about. :uhoh:

Either way, it's not our problem. He made his bed.

A> Someone very smart once said something about hanging together versus hanging separately.

B> Absent further evidence, I'm more inclined to believe someone made his bed for him, or rather, made a mess in it.

Now, YOU can choose to believe who you want, a liberal, libelous, divisive rag, or a politi....

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You know, I see what you mean. Other people, with shoddy reputations have made accusations against public figures, such as...

"Hugo Chavez Mouthpiece Says U.S. Hit Haiti With 'Earthquake Weapon'". (Yeah, that was my earthquake weapon, sorry. )

The ENTIRETY of the 9/11 Truther Movement (Bush did it!)

Anything Ahmadinejad says. Seriously, this guy is crazy.

Skidmark's becoming a public figure, at this point. So of course he must be guilty, so of course the burden of proof is on him now.

Duke Lacrosse, anyone?

Anita Hill....

I'm sure many of you can think of your own. As far as NYT v Sullivan, stupidity and/or ignorance is a valid defense. With that in mind, this IS Time we're talking about. :uhoh:

A> Someone very smart once said something about hanging together versus hanging separately.

B> Absent further evidence, I'm more inclined to believe someone made his bed for him, or rather, made a mess in it.

Now, YOU can choose to believe who you want, a liberal, libelous, divisive rag, or a politi....

:dude:

[FONT=Arial,]And God said, "Let there be light" and there was light. [FONT=Arial,]4[/FONT]And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.[/FONT]

1702213953_d99a65b1fd.jpg

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
I too don't trust Time, and I'm hard pressed to think of any Cuccinelli mis-steps other than the GMU issue.

I'm not buying the slurs about "hate mail" either.

Thanks, Ed, for providing Cuccinelli's response on the Time interview.

nova

I too don't trust Time, and I'm hard pressed to think of any Cuccinelli mis-steps other than the GMU issue.
Well, to a lot of people, that GMU issue was pretty damn important. Cuccinelli campaigned on it at a VCDL meeting I attended, and then stabbed us in the back.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
+1 This has stuck in my craw since I went to Mason and still does when I think of my friend NOVA who is stuck with it.

Thundar

Don't hold your breath waiting for Judas Cooch

+1 This has stuck in my craw since I went to Mason and still does when I think of my friend NOVA who is stuck with it.

GMU has won. There is no reason for Judas Cooch to remain silent on the matter. Yet theCooch still has not explained GMU or the Time article.

Warning: Don't hold your breath!

Repeater

He should discuss the case -- and his personal involvement -- now

GMU has won. There is no reason for Judas Cooch to remain silent on the matter. Yet theCooch still has not explained GMU or the Time article.

Warning: Don't hold your breath!

In response to this VA-ALERT, Et Tu, Cuccinelli? - The AG responded by sending this e-mail:

Dear friend:

My office recently filed a brief in DiGiacinto v. The Rector and Visitors of George Mason University, a case that has been ongoing since November 2008. My friends at the Virginia Citizens Defense League and other Second Amendment supporters have taken issue with that brief and – based on the language used in it – have challenged my longstanding commitment to the right to keep and bear arms.

The Office of the Attorney General files briefs like this on a regular basis, defending our clients (agencies, colleges, and universities of the commonwealth) in litigation in both state and federal courts. As a matter of process, I don’t wordsmith each and every brief filed by my staff, nor did I in this case. However, I have reviewed the brief and the legal arguments contained therein, and acknowledge that the OAG is zealously representing our client, GeorgeMason University. So long as a Virginia law is validly enacted and not apparently repugnant to the Constitution, I have a duty to defend it.

If the 2005 pre-emption law that I had strongly supported as a state senator had been applicable to state government entities (as I incorrectly recalled in 2008) and not merely to local government entities, then there would be no DiGiacinto case. I understand how my misstatement about the pre-emption law created expectations inconsistent with any regulation of firearms whatsoever other than by the General Assembly.

I, and the Office of the Attorney General, defend the rule of law. In this case, we are defending a validly enacted regulation, and we must do so zealously with every legal argument available to us. While I may not always agree with a particular policy position, I will defend Virginia laws and regulations as well as the constitutions of Virginiaand the United States. To do otherwise would validate my opponent’s accusations during the campaign that I would bend the law to suit my personal views. I have not. I have issued legal opinions that are contrary to my policy views because they are based on the law as it is and not the law as I might like it to be. Laws, and not politics, dictate legal outcomes.

As much as I might wish to discuss the present case and its policy implications for future legislation in some level of detail, I cannot at this time because the lawsuit is still ongoing. However, at the conclusion of the case, I look forward to the opportunity to address its policy implications and those of the anticipated ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court in the McDonald case with the VCDL and other Second Amendment supporters.

Sincerely,

Ken

Now that the Virginia Supreme Court has published its opinion, Ken really needs to discuss his involvement now.

Jamie

Makes sense to me

Well, it took an attack on a good man to get me to quit lurking and register for this site.

I think Cuccinelli's original letter explains it pretty well. He has an obligation (including an OATH he made on taking office) to defend the laws of Virginia. He may not support the policy of GMU, but he has to defend the laws. The Right (myself included) was incensed when Left-wing administrations (e.g., Prop 8 in CA) refused to defend state laws, so we should be applauding Cuccinelli for defending a law he doesn't agree with. The man is a class act and is EXACTLY the sort of politicians we should be supporting.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, it took an attack on a good man to get me to quit lurking and register for this site.

I think Cuccinelli's original letter explains it pretty well. He has an obligation (including an OATH he made on taking office) to defend the laws of Virginia. He may not support the policy of GMU, but he has to defend the laws. The Right (myself included) was incensed when Left-wing administrations (e.g., Prop 8 in CA) refused to defend state laws, so we should be applauding Cuccinelli for defending a law he doesn't agree with. The man is a class act and is EXACTLY the sort of politicians we should be supporting.

Welcome to the board Jamie!

nova

Welcome to the site! :)

The problem is, GMU's gun ban is/was not law (Virginia Legislative Code). It was never passed by the General Assembly nor signed by the governor. It was adopted by an appointed board of visitors in 2007. It is nothing more than a rule for a state agency (in the Virginia Administrative Code).

Last edited: