Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Shot

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Shot

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517...ics/?gt1=43001

msnbc.com news services
    updated 2 hours 3 minutes ago
    Print
    Font:

U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head while holding a public event in Tucson, National Public Radio reported Saturday.

Other news agencies reported up to 11 other people had been injured after an unidentified gunman ran up and began shooting indiscriminately as Giffords addressed supporters.

Giffords was shot point blank in the head, according to Fox News.

Giffords, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting her first "Congress on Your Corner" event at the Safeway in northwest Tucson, NPR reported.

The gunman was in custody, according to media reports.

Giffords, 40, a Democrat, is married to U.S. astronaut Mark Kelly. She took office in January 2007, emphasizing issues such as immigration reform, embryonic stem-cell research, alternative energy sources and a higher minimum wage.

This is a breaking news story, check back for details.

2011 msnbc.com

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Tragic Event. Thoughts and prayers to her family.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Tragic indeed. My thoughts and prayers for her family and all other families affected by this terrible event.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    She has reportedly died.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    She has reportedly died.
    conflicting reports on that so far.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Yeah, Magee - Ina on Oracle is completely blocked off. SWAT is there and ALOT of emergency response vehicles.

Thoughts and prayers go out to her and the others involved.
    "It's better to be the worst of the best than the best of the worst"

"If problems persist, you'll need to install Tannerite in your computer, and then we can troubleshoot it"

News right now says she is still alive critical in hospital. I hate that she died but am hoping it is not a legal gun owner. She was a gun owner herself.

Hospital official on Fox new says that she was shot point blank in the head.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Very sad. My heart goes out to all of the families and people hurt.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Fox news is now reporting that there was a gun owner in the crowd that fired back at the gunman. My own speculation now is that this action could have saved more lives by making the gunman run away instead of shooting more victims. God bless whoever that was

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonSoul View Post
    Fox news is now reporting that there was a gun owner in the crowd that fired back at the gunman. My own speculation now is that this action could have saved more lives by making the gunman run away instead of shooting more victims. God bless whoever that was
    i was just talking about this with a friend of mine. the gun owner who shot back most likely did save more lives! hopefully this will help our cause.

my prayers do go out for everyone shot today though...very sad story.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz1ATh7qR3E

Armed citizen reported to have stopped the gunman.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

Your link does not support that.

Anything more specific?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

i read through the article..and didn't see where it said armed citizen reported to have stopped the gunman...is it in this article?

Shooter identified as Jarred Loughner, 22 yrs old (white) from Tucson. (KOLD Tucson) Unidentified bystander tackled the shooter and effected a capture. Local radio news (101.4 FM) had a caller who said the bystander was his room mates father... and that (I quote): "He'll prob'ly get fined... because he shot him." That's unconfirmed but it's possible that the capture of the shooter was effected by an LAC.

NPR of course reported that the shooter used an automatic weapon... (doubtful). TPD stated that the shooter had prior arrests (unk for what).

A Judge was also shot, possibly killed... which muddies the scenario as to who the intended target was. Motive is unk... and no sane person would speculate on that.

Giffords at last report was still alive (Univ. Med Center surgeon sez... KOLD) I saw TPD and Pima County Sheriff vehicles (lights on) heading east on Ina Rd when I first heard of the shooting (phone call). I was heading west a few blocks from I-10. 'Watching updates now on KOLD, Tucson.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families. This is still an active investigation, so no one knows what weapon the subject used. Too bad more citizens weren't armed.

Obama on live stream just stated that there are five deceased !! ??
    http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLi...stream=stream1

The federal judge is confirmed as having succumbed on statements that followed.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-08-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Obama on live stream just stated that there are five deceased !! ??
    http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLi...stream=stream1
    I believe that number is currently correct.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Shooter identified as Jarred Loughner, 22 yrs old (white) from Tucson. (KOLD Tucson) Unidentified bystander tackled the shooter and effected a capture. Local radio news (101.4 FM) had a caller who said the bystander was his room mates father... and that (I quote): "He'll prob'ly get fined... because he shot him." That's unconfirmed but it's possible that the capture of the shooter was effected by an LAC.

NPR of course reported that the shooter used an automatic weapon... (doubtful). TPD stated that the shooter had prior arrests (unk for what).

A Judge was also shot, possibly killed... which muddies the scenario as to who the intended target was. Motive is unk... and no sane person would speculate on that.

Giffords at last report was still alive (Univ. Med Center surgeon sez... KOLD) I saw TPD and Pima County Sheriff vehicles (lights on) heading east on Ina Rd when I first heard of the shooting (phone call). I was heading west a few blocks from I-10. 'Watching updates now on KOLD, Tucson.
    Medical spokesperson stated she is out of surgery and was following commands before she went under. He stated the bullet when through her head "through and through". Because of forensics he wouldn't elaborate on if it was front to back or side to side.She is in critical conditions and they are optimistic.

Also a Fed. judge is dead and a 9 year old girl. This is just one hospital that had 10 people come in out of 19.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Let's hope this shooter was a 'prohibited person'... and had the weapon illegally.

CNN now reporting 6 dead and 12 wounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Medical spokesperson stated she is out of surgery and was following commands before she went under. He stated the bullet when through her head "through and through". Because of forensics he wouldn't elaborate on if it was front to back or side to side.She is in critical conditions and they are optimistic.

Also a Fed. judge is dead and a 9 year old girl. This is just one hospital that had 10 people come in out of 19.
    Hopefully, this idiot shooter didn't use HP rounds.

Not much comming out in the National media guys. You guys keep us up to date on the local stuff OK? Judge involved in something that would be a target of a lunatic? Such a shame. Understand she was firearm friendly. Condolences to the victims and thier families.

CNN reports that the gun used was a Glock 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    CNN reports that the gun used was a Glock 9mm.
    KOLD reported that it was a 9mm with a barrel extension (Silencer?) but 'all' guns are Glocks according to the media.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	journalist_guns_2[1].jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	4950  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast