• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Shot

CrimsonSoul

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns/politics/?gt1=43001

msnbc.com news services
updated 2 hours 3 minutes ago
Print
Font:

U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head while holding a public event in Tucson, National Public Radio reported Saturday.

Other news agencies reported up to 11 other people had been injured after an unidentified gunman ran up and began shooting indiscriminately as Giffords addressed supporters.

Giffords was shot point blank in the head, according to Fox News.

Giffords, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting her first "Congress on Your Corner" event at the Safeway in northwest Tucson, NPR reported.

The gunman was in custody, according to media reports.

Giffords, 40, a Democrat, is married to U.S. astronaut Mark Kelly. She took office in January 2007, emphasizing issues such as immigration reform, embryonic stem-cell research, alternative energy sources and a higher minimum wage.

This is a breaking news story, check back for details.

© 2011 msnbc.com

Stretch

Tragic indeed. My thoughts and prayers for her family and all other families affected by this terrible event.

lykwidtepp

Yeah, Magee - Ina on Oracle is completely blocked off. SWAT is there and ALOT of emergency response vehicles.

Thoughts and prayers go out to her and the others involved.

CrimsonSoul

Fox news is now reporting that there was a gun owner in the crowd that fired back at the gunman. My own speculation now is that this action could have saved more lives by making the gunman run away instead of shooting more victims. God bless whoever that was

ehewitt1990

Fox news is now reporting that there was a gun owner in the crowd that fired back at the gunman. My own speculation now is that this action could have saved more lives by making the gunman run away instead of shooting more victims. God bless whoever that was

i was just talking about this with a friend of mine. the gun owner who shot back most likely did save more lives! hopefully this will help our cause. :D

my prayers do go out for everyone shot today though...very sad story.

Sonora Rebel

Shooter identified as Jarred Loughner, 22 yrs old (white) from Tucson. (KOLD Tucson) Unidentified bystander tackled the shooter and effected a capture. Local radio news (101.4 FM) had a caller who said the bystander was his room mates father... and that (I quote): "He'll prob'ly get fined... because he shot him." That's unconfirmed but it's possible that the capture of the shooter was effected by an LAC.

NPR of course reported that the shooter used an automatic weapon... (doubtful). TPD stated that the shooter had prior arrests (unk for what).

A Judge was also shot, possibly killed... which muddies the scenario as to who the intended target was. Motive is unk... and no sane person would speculate on that.

Giffords at last report was still alive (Univ. Med Center surgeon sez... KOLD) I saw TPD and Pima County Sheriff vehicles (lights on) heading east on Ina Rd when I first heard of the shooting (phone call). I was heading west a few blocks from I-10. 'Watching updates now on KOLD, Tucson.

AFPVet

Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families. This is still an active investigation, so no one knows what weapon the subject used. Too bad more citizens weren't armed.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Shooter identified as Jarred Loughner, 22 yrs old (white) from Tucson. (KOLD Tucson) Unidentified bystander tackled the shooter and effected a capture. Local radio news (101.4 FM) had a caller who said the bystander was his room mates father... and that (I quote): "He'll prob'ly get fined... because he shot him." That's unconfirmed but it's possible that the capture of the shooter was effected by an LAC.

NPR of course reported that the shooter used an automatic weapon... (doubtful). TPD stated that the shooter had prior arrests (unk for what).

A Judge was also shot, possibly killed... which muddies the scenario as to who the intended target was. Motive is unk... and no sane person would speculate on that.

Giffords at last report was still alive (Univ. Med Center surgeon sez... KOLD) I saw TPD and Pima County Sheriff vehicles (lights on) heading east on Ina Rd when I first heard of the shooting (phone call). I was heading west a few blocks from I-10. 'Watching updates now on KOLD, Tucson.
Medical spokesperson stated she is out of surgery and was following commands before she went under. He stated the bullet when through her head "through and through". Because of forensics he wouldn't elaborate on if it was front to back or side to side.She is in critical conditions and they are optimistic.

Also a Fed. judge is dead and a 9 year old girl. This is just one hospital that had 10 people come in out of 19.