• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Representative Gabrielle Giffords

PDinDetroit

I heard the mother of the little 9 year old girl on Fox this AM. She wouldn't say on air what she wanted to occur, but I will (as a parent).

Killing of a child should bring forth the most public, painful punishment we can perform on the perpetrator. An attack on the most defenseless of our people should be met with justice swift and sure. This person, mentally sick or not, should be wiped from the face of this Earth, never to be spoken of again.

I am still sick to my stomach about this whole event. I am so glad I have taken the time to train my children with firearms and knowing how to defend themselves.

detroit_fan

MSNBC Keith Oberman is ranting on Fox and gun owners for this shooting, Nothing so far that the shooter was mentally ill. What a bunch of crap. He is attacking 2nd Amd., Beck Plain, and anyone that support freedom.

I honestly don't know anyone that takes olberman seriously, he is known to just be an over the top liberal whack job looking for ratings. what else do you expect on msnbc though? people act like fox is the most biased, but msnbc is by far worse imo.

kubel

One thing I noticed off the bat when I saw he uses his middle name... Jared Lee Loughner. It reminded me of Conspiracy Theory:

Jerry: David Berkowitz, Ted Bundy, Richard Speck...
Alice: What about them?
Jerry: Serial killers. Serial killers only have two names. You ever notice that? But lone gunmen assassins, they always have three names. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Mark David Chapman...
Alice: John Hinckley. He shot Reagan. He only has two names.
Jerry: Yeah, but he only just shot Reagan. Reagan didn't die. If Reagan had died, I'm pretty sure we probably would all know what John Hinckley's middle name was.

No I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but that was the first thing that struck me when I saw his name.

Anyway, people will react to this tragedy by pushing through legislation to require psychological evaluations prior to obtaining a handgun. Even though Giffords seems to be fairly moderate, I still think she will become the next Brady. A bullet through the head can do that to you. I suppose we are lucky this happened in Arizona, being the very pro-2A state that it is. But I wish this never happened at all. I feel bad for all involved.

B

Bikenut

I wonder if that Pima County Sheriff who has been giving press conferences... and talking about how he never was a proponent of "letting" anyone have a gun for any reason... realizes that the 2nd Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights to address those in positions of power with attitudes exactly like his?

I also wonder why there is so much emphasis upon charging the criminal with charges concerning only the government officials and staff members who were shot... but little to no mention is being made of charges in relation to all the other ordinary citizen victims who were also shot?

Sad to say there is so much tragedy and so much pain and sorrow surrounding this incident.... and all those in power can think about is furthering their agendas of gun control, shutting down free speech, and strengthening the distinction between the elite and the peasants by putting the entire House of Representatives on hold just in case they need to take action (what kind of "action"? could be possibly be needed?).

TheQ

Just once I'd like to see one of these nutjobs use a steak knife instead of a gun. Would we then have a campaign to stop steak knife violence?

Each distributor of steak knives would have to start Running NICS checks.

BATF would become BATFK...

Prices for steak knives would double...

Steak knives (and handles) would require imprinted unique serial numbers...

And then we could all sleep better at night...

TheQ

I also wonder why there is so much emphasis upon charging the criminal with charges concerning only the government officials and staff members who were shot... but little to no mention is being made of charges in relation to all the other ordinary citizen victims who were also shot?

I agree. This type of thinking is tragic. A murder is a murder is a murder. It doesn't matter if the victim is POTUS, Speaker of the House, or the homeless guy living under the bridge downtown. Also it doesn't matter if it was a kitchen knife, a baseball bat, or a firearm.

xmanhockey7

I hope she doesn't turn into the next brady.

First off I hope she survives no matter what may happen, however, I don't think that will be the case. She was a moderate democrat and if what I hear is true, she is pro-gun. And really this could help us if she does survive. Think about how much harder it could be for anti-gun idiots try to say we need more gun control when a congresswoman who was actually shot would be saying that making gun control laws won't help.

This whole situation does not help the argument for constitutional carry (we all realize that this guy would have done it whether it was legal or not but people who are in the middle or against it will look at it negatively).

Bailenforcer

Maybe his choice of words were less than perfect but here we go again the feeding frenzy attacking and eating one of your own kind. This intellectual cannibalism is far more disgusting than his using the wrong word to say that her survival may open a Pandora's box of anti gun rhetoric. I understood perfectly what he tried to say, and so did you, yet you made the informed decision to turn what he said into something you know he didn't say. This kind of cannibalistic intellect is exactly why so many are leaving this site and or reducing their activities here. The childish infighting, lies, distortions, and person venom is enough to make a maggot vomit.

I would advise people instead of attacking like some Bar brawling drunk bully one might ask for a clarification of the other persons thought processes vs what it might appear they meant to say. This kind of childish behavior gives far more fodder to our enemies that some vague misquoting of someone.

Bailenforcer

You are a little late on that prediction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4581871.stm

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call
Knife
Doctors say knives are too pointed
A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Knife wound
Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

Just once I'd like to see one of these nutjobs use a steak knife instead of a gun. Would we then have a campaign to stop steak knife violence?

Each distributor of steak knives would have to start Running NICS checks.

BATF would become BATFK...

Prices for steak knives would double...

Steak knives (and handles) would require imprinted unique serial numbers...

And then we could all sleep better at night...

scot623

It has already been discussed at length that anti's and most recently reporters read this site. Reporters put these posts in the newspapers as quotes. If we don't police our own, who will? If one of us posts something idiotic, I will call them out and publicly. To not do so makes it seem we all agree with the gibberish posted by some here.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

I think the idea that was brought up was the hope that we do not have this person become a "cause célèbre" for further Gun Control Agendas, even though I believe that the OP worded this poorly.

For the record, I sincerely PRAY that Mrs. Giffords obtains as full a recovery as medical science allows. I ask that comfort be provided for her family during this trying time.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

I agree on Policing our own, not eating them.

It has already been discussed at length that anti's and most recently reporters read this site. Reporters put these posts in the newspapers as quotes. If we don't police our own, who will? If one of us posts something idiotic, I will call them out and publicly. To not do so makes it seem we all agree with the gibberish posted by some here.

stainless1911

Banned
*facepalm* Of course I don't wish she was dead, my goodness. We just don't need another brady, as I'm sure we can all agree. This guy had no business doing what he did, it was beyond words. Rights are more important than the lives of those who borrow them because they were bought with the blood of those who gave more than any living person could give.

mastiff69

Bail & PD
i agree with both of you on this point posted above,
I wish her a speedy recovery & to the famlies that lost loved ones, & to the injured, I wish them all the best.

And as for the posts that are made out of misinformation, Or made in error, Or ignorance,
to forgive is devine, and a understanding of each one of our weaknesses, is knowledge.

P.S. and anything that (we) say will be taken out of context to be used against us, for there cause...

Bailenforcer

I have and will pray for all those effected by this evil act.

Yet at this time we need to be very careful to not take one another on and cause the weirdos out there to have a point of contention with anything we say here, meaning lets not accuse each other and give the anti's an argument they never had before we shot off our mouths. They do enough misinformation, lies and deliberate twisting of our words, and we don;t need to help them by making things up about each other. if anyone has a question about the meaning of a post then PM the person or simply ask what they meant. Do not say it seems like they said this when they may have meant that. When we attack each other as was done here today we feed the enemies of freedom.

Bail & PD
i agree with both of you on this point posted above,
I wish her a speedy recovery & to the famlies that lost loved ones, & to the injured, I wish them all the best.

And as for the posts that are made out of misinformation, Or made in error, Or ignorance,
to forgive is devine, and a understanding of each one of our weaknesses, is knowledge.

P.S. and anything that (we) say will be taken out of context to be used against us, for there cause...

EDA50

I honestly don't know anyone that takes olberman seriously, he is known to just be an over the top liberal whack job looking for ratings. what else do you expect on msnbc though? people act like fox is the most biased, but msnbc is by far worse imo.
Olberman's show is constantly outdone by local cooking shows in ratings!!!