• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congresswoman shot in the head today

Nevada carrier

takemine2

Campaign Veteran
Political views aside, it is great to hear she survived this tragic event but I'm saddened for the other loss of life including a 9 year old girl. Our hearts and prayers go out to all of those individuals forever affected by this shooter.

Nevada carrier

it wasn't even a half hour after this shooting that the Brady bunch was using this story as another reason to take everyone's guns away. We don't even know if the gunman was a lawful owner of a firearm yet and they want to turn on the spin machine.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

it wasn't even a half hour after this shooting that the Brady bunch was using this story as another reason to take everyone's guns away. We don't even know if the gunman was a lawful owner of a firearm yet and they want to turn on the spin machine.

I remember being pissed about the same thing, everyone squealed "Tea party conspiracy" when that dude flew his airplane into the IRS bldg. and it ended up making them sound dumb. It could very well happen in this case.

Sometimes the "squeaky wheel" gets replaced, rather than greased.

Nevada carrier

My response to the Brady bunch is this... clearly there are not yet enough armed citizens to be an effective deterrent against mass public shootings. We need more armed citizens not less. Arizona is one of the most well armed states in the nation, and he was still undeterred, time to up the ante and perhaps offer a tax incentive for owning and carrying a firearm. Perhaps we can even rally the gun friendly business community and do a "show e your carrying a firearm and receive a gift certificate to a local business.

Last edited:

28kfps

I have not heard any anti gun on the big 3 NBC, ABC, CBS so far. Thought it would be the first thing they would blame it on. Of course, Bardy supporters would jump on it. Too bad this happen. Too bad there was not an open carry civilian that could have taken him out. Channel 3 says they are going to have a segment at 11pm tonight talking to a so-called gun expert and showing what kind of firearm he used. The news was saying three people rushed him as he was trying to reload a 32 round magazine.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I have not heard any anti gun on the big 3 NBC, ABC, CBS so far. Thought it would be the first thing they would blame it on. Of course, Bardy supporters would jump on it. Too bad this happen. Too bad there was not an open carry civilian that could have taken him out. Channel 3 says they are going to have a segment at 11pm tonight talking to a so-called gun expert and showing what kind of firearm he used. The news was saying three people rushed him as he was trying to reload a 32 round magazine.

My guess woul be a beretta 92 fs I have one and have 32 round Mags for it. It also comes to mind, that these Mass killings are thought out situations on the part of the whack job. Who (not in his right mind) would want to take chances on a Cheap Mac 10 style pistol, and I truly believe if something like that were used, it would have been leaked. Anyone else know of a pistol in 9mm that you can get 32 round mags for?

FL2011

Reports I've seen have said it was a Glock 9mm. Definitely hicap mags available for those.

varminter22

From Senator John Ensign:
Quote:

Gun control's prospects after Tucson

Friday, January 14, 2011; 8:46 PM

What are the prospects for gun control?

JOHN ENSIGN

Republican senator from Nevada

The recent shootings in Arizona were a national tragedy and the acts of a lone gunman. Allegations have been made that they were the result of lax gun laws and heightened political rhetoric. Neither is the case.

Unfortunately, there will be knee-jerk reactions from lawmakers in Washington to make gun laws even more oppressive. Let me be very clear: Gun laws were not the reason that a socially isolated individual, an anarchist, chose to open fire on an elected official, her constituents and a federal judge. And changing the gun laws will not prevent such a tragedy in the future. Consider an example that may help change the dialogue on this issue.

The District of Columbia is home to the nation's most restrictive gun control measures. Logic would suggest that this city must be the safest place in the country. But the facts do not support this conclusion. Gun violence in the District was consistently among the highest in the nation throughout the 30 years that the city banned handguns.

A criminal or a madman such as the Tucson shooter will use other means to purchase handguns; in Washington, criminals used illegal guns purchased on the black market. Regarding the D.C. law, the Fraternal Order of Police stated that the handgun ban was a "miserable failure by any estimation." I certainly hope that Congress will not feel motivated to create more miserable failures across the country with tougher gun laws. [bold emphasis added]