• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lansing Homeowner Justified in Shooting of Home Intruder

lil_freak_66

A 28-year-old Lansing man was shot dead early this morning during an incident that was reported to police as a home invasion.

Police received a call at about 5:45 a.m. about a home invasion in progress in the 2100 block of Georgetown Boulevard, Lansing police Sgt. Joe Brown said. While on their way, police received an additional call that shots had been fired.

(more of the story in the link)

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110108/NEWS01/301060015/1002/NEWS01

**UPDATE Feb, 4th 2011**
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110204/NEWS01/302040010/1002/NEWS01

LANSING -- A 64-year-old Lansing man will not face charges after shooting and killing 28-year-old Jeston Lawrence in the early morning hours of Jan. 8.

Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III said in a news release today that the 64-year-old man's actions were justified.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

Only thing im worried about is they still havent Decided whether or not to press charges,citing that "they are unsure whether the man was commiting home invasion,or was merely at the wrong residence"

Im hoping he isnt charged,and if he is im going to do what i can to help him out

since9

Campaign Veteran
Only thing im worried about is they still havent Decided whether or not to press charges,citing that "they are unsure whether the man was commiting home invasion,or was merely at the wrong residence"

That's why I always lock my door. A busted lock is usually a fair giveaway. So is forced entry through a window.

PT111

That's why I always lock my door. A busted lock is usually a fair giveaway. So is forced entry through a window.

A busted lock is a sure sign that it was forcible whether or not he was at the wrong residence. It doesn't say anything about that so I can't say one way or another in this case. If you open the door and let someone in then shoot them there has t be a little more than claiming a home invasion. I hope that this turns out good for the occupant.

MK

Im hoping he isnt charged,and if he is im going to do what i can to help him out

yeah, he was at the wrong address alright. He happened to be at an address that had an armed home owner who isn't afraid to protect against strangers invading his home at 5:45 in the morning.

I find it incredible that the police would even cite that as a reason to be undecided on whether to press charges or not. Do people just barge into homes at that hour if they are unsure of whose home it is? Do you mistake your auntie's home with that of a complete stranger? Let's even say the man was drunk and actually did make a boneheaded mistake and honestly came into the wrong home but had no ill intent. That's just tragically too bad for him. We can't expect homeowners to give every stranger barging into their residences the benefit of the doubt or to have them submit the intruder to 5 minutes of questioning to verify if he made an honest mistake or not.

MK

Here's a quote from the comment section of that article.

As a friend of his, this is what I know.

He was left by a friend, sleeping cold in a vehicle, drunk at a friends apartment complex. When he woke up, he tried to make entrance to the home that he THOUGHT was his buddies. He banged and knocked on the door, until he made entry (I don't know for sure if he was let in).
The occupant (a prison guard) asked the man to leave on many occasions, and stated that he had a gun, and would shoot him if he didn't leave the home. The intoxicated perpetrator obviously didn't leave the home, and the occupant went upstairs, retreived his gun, came back downstairs and shot the guy. Not a murderer, but a victim of a crime protecting what's his. No law against that. I would've blasted his sss too but without warning

vt800c

oops

As a friend of his, this is what I know.

He was left by a friend, sleeping cold in a vehicle, drunk at a friends apartment complex. When he woke up, he tried to make entrance to the home that he THOUGHT was his buddies. He banged and knocked on the door, until he made entry (I don't know for sure if he was let in).
The occupant (a prison guard) asked the man to leave on many occasions, and stated that he had a gun, and would shoot him if he didn't leave the home. The intoxicated perpetrator obviously didn't leave the home, and the occupant went upstairs, retreived his gun, came back downstairs and shot the guy. Not a murderer, but a victim of a crime protecting what's his. No law against that. I would've blasted his sss too but without warning

too bad...that makes it a deliberate act, and therefore premeditated.

lil_freak_66

Thats the thing that is common with news stories such as this,everyone "knows" the people involved no matter what.the homeowner is always the bad guy and the criminal is always a loving family man.

At this time no charges filed still.

CenTex

too bad...that makes it a deliberate act, and therefore premeditated.

Anytime I deliberately shoot an intruder, it better be premeditated. I don't want to be deliberately shooting anyone accidentally.

Last edited:

Sc0tt

asked the man to leave on many occasions, and stated that he had a gun, and would shoot him if he didn't leave the home. The intoxicated perpetrator obviously didn't leave the home, and the occupant went upstairs, retreived his gun, came back downstairs and shot the guy.

In the time it took to agruee with the guy to get him out of the house, then to go up stairs retirve the firearms come back downstairs and shoot the perp why didnt he just call the police. Or did he confuse himself as a prison guard with a real cop.

I think the ass hole should be charged. There was no reason to shoot the perp he confronted the person, found him to not be a threat to life or property and then went and got a firearm just to shoot him. Theres a difference between premeditated and making a informed decision.

lil_freak_66

Remember,those allegations were merely hearsay,and ultimately incorrect.

read below,there is also a link in the original post on this thread with more information.

"LANSING -- A 64-year-old Lansing man will not face charges after shooting and killing 28-year-old Jeston Lawrence in the early morning hours of Jan. 8.

Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III said in a news release today that the 64-year-old man's actions were justified."

Charges are officially NOT being filed!

(thanks John for changing the thread title too!)

Last edited: