• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Juvenile crimes when buying a gun

Does your juvenile record effect you when buying a gun?

As in if you were convected as a felon at age 14 will that stop you from being able to own a gun?:banana:

BROKENSPROKET

As far as I know, juvenile records are sealed and not use against you later on in life.

Juvenile Records are not sealed. Although the general public cannot have access through open records requests under any freedom of information legislation. But on the contrary, almost any goberment agency can access them.

As to whether it affect to purchase a gun, I would have to say no, or I would not be able to owm one. Kids can do stupid things and I once was a kid.

Last edited:

kawisixer01

A "juvenile" cannot be prosecuted with a felony. This is basic law (in WI anyway). Juveniles really aren't even prosecuted for crimes if you read the details of the juvenlile justice system. To be convicted of a felony status crime (any crime punishable by more than 1 year inprisonment) a juvenile must first be waived into adult court by a judge. As it is right now if a 16 year old commits a felony status crime they are pretty much automatically waived into adult court to be prosecuted as an adult so that they can then be charged with the felony. If they are lucky they are like me and have it written into their plea that once finishing all conditions of sentancing that the chagrges will be reduced to misdomeanors. I wend through all this back in 1996 when I was 16, I was young and dumb. I believe I am a poster child of why we shouldn't be so quick to try and ruin a young persons life with felony charges when they are young. I went on to finish getting my HSED, went to college for two degrees, and become a contributing member of society with strong morals and decent carreer. I returned to court after completing every condition of my sentancing, and ended up getting my felony charges reopened and reduced to misdomeanors a number of years ago and have never had trouble purchasing a firearm since. I think things may have been different had my charges been for a violent crime though.

Rick H

The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban, 'the Lautenberg Amendment' , prohibited anyone previously convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence from owning a firearm, from my understanding because I have been reading into this for a month and this includes "juvenile offences"

Last edited:

The_Larry

I know this is old, but I have to reply anyway

Juvenile Records are not sealed. Although the general public cannot have access through open records requests under any freedom of information legislation. But on the contrary, almost any goberment agency can access them.

As to whether it affect to purchase a gun, I would have to say no, or I would not be able to owm one. Kids can do stupid things and I once was a kid.

Its not true almost all government agencies have access to sealed records. I knew someone with a couple juvenile felonies. He's been in the Army for over two years now. From what I know, the medical field has the most thorough background checks. Especially, in the Pharmaceutical field. Sorry, I am getting off base.

MKEgal

freedomfighter said:
Does your juvenile record effect you when buying a gun?
As in if you were convected as a felon at age 14 will that stop you from being able to own a gun?
Yes, it's supposed to affect your ability to legally buy a firearm or ammunition, as in you don't have it.

Here's a PDF of the 4473 form:
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Quesiton 11c:
"Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?"

So a juvenile conviction counts, and if you had such a conviction you are a prohibited person unless your RKBA (and vote, and be on a jury, and hold public office) has specifically been restored.

Sounds like maybe you slipped through the cracks?
Better sell the gun before you're caught with it.

Blakemyname

You can not be convicted as a juvenile

In juvenile court you are ajudicated, not convicted.. which is why they don't show up on background checks from jobs and such. It depends solely on rules and regulations of your release/probation. I was adjudicated of a felony at 17, and am unable to own a firearm until I am 24. My cousin adjudicated of the same charge currently has his cc