• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out and About

teemgreen99

Last night (1-7-11)I was solo at The Block in Orange I was walking around went to the cigar shop to indulge my lungs in a fine cigar and after I came out I walked around for about 10 minutes when a security gaurd motioned for me to come towards him. I did so and he asked me if I was carrying a gun, I replied yes. He then told me that there was a no weapons policy at The Block however there are exactly 0 signs posted. I asked him for his name rank (if any) and the phone number to there office which he gave me. The whole time he was in radio contact with his director. Apparently there radios are synced with local PD because I heard a voice over the radio and asked him if that was PD, he said yes. The PD said that we are not going to respond if they are not causing a problem. So I went to my truck disarmed and walked to the office to ask for a copy of this "policy". I was met at the office again by the director who gave me a card with there "code of conduct", labeled number 17 it said, "Possesion or carrying of any firearms, simulated firearms, or weapons of any kind, openly or concealed, with or without a permit". The director also told me that there security personel are not supposed to detain open carriers they are supposed to contact local PD and let them handle it. Since local PD said they didnt care there was no issue. I think its funny that it says "with or without a permit" I suppose anyone with a CCW isnt welcome either lol. Anyways as we all know state laws over rule there code of conduct and since there are no signs posted there doesnt seem to be anything they can do.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
He then told me that there was a no weapons policy at The Block however there are exactly 0 signs posted...Anyways as we all know state laws over rule there code of conduct and since there are no signs posted there doesnt seem to be anything they can do.

If I come over to your house and behave in a manner you might find offensive; for the sake of arguement I indulge in picking my nose and wiping my boogers on your furniture and relieve my flatulence in a loud and conspicuously intentional manner-(such as pumping a raised fist or pulling my own finger) do I have to leave if there are no signs in your residence prohibiting such behavior? Or you will serve me with a special notice that is not memorialized in some form of signage prominently displayed?

My behavior, while disrespectful of your private property and senses, is not illegal. Are you now going to post signs prohibiting things that you dont like in your home? And how does that help those who might have an incidental bout of flatulence or discharge mucus in an involuntary event such as a sneeze or a cough?

My suggestion- do not dispute the policies of private property holders (if this is truly private property) and do not ask where their signs are, particularly when you haven't posted your own.

teemgreen99

Almost forgot

I guess I should have mentionedthat i have carried at the block more than a couple times. The time before this incident we were followed by security for about an hour, the LEO showed up E-checked us and said have a great night guys. Nobody told us to leave.

Rich Keagy

Come over here.

In situations such as this, a security guard directing someone to come to him is a psychological ploy.
It is a trick to establish authority and dominance.
Smile and return the same gesture.

xmattedgex

In situations such as this, a security guard directing someone to come to him is a psychological ploy.
It is a trick to establish authority and dominance.
Smile and return the same gesture.

That's generally what I will do, or I just continue on my way and make them approach me.

Army

My behavior, while disrespectful of your private property and senses, is not illegal. Are you now going to post signs prohibiting things that you dont like in your home? And how does that help those who might have an incidental bout of flatulence or discharge mucus in an involuntary event such as a sneeze or a cough?
Do that in my house, I will ask you to leave.

Which is exactlly what the mall DID NOT DO. Not ask to leave.... no trespassing. No posted rules of behavior..... no breaking of unknown rules.

It's really pretty simple. Teemgreen was in full compliance with all rules publically known at the mall.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Do that in my house, I will ask you to leave.

Which is exactlly what the mall DID NOT DO. Not ask to leave.... no trespassing. No posted rules of behavior..... no breaking of unknown rules.

It's really pretty simple. Teemgreen was in full compliance with all rules publically known at the mall.

Precisely, Army. If there is no known policy, they cannot expect compliance. If no one knows and no one asks, then there is no reason to comply- but if you ask what the policy is or where the signs are you can make it enough of an issue that they will advertise their policy shutting out the rest of those who wish to express their liberty.

The correct response to this security officer would have been to wave back and when the guard confronted me with their 'disarmed patron' policy, I would have asked if he were asking me to leave. If 'yes', I would make haste to the nearest exit without going back to demand a piece of paper listing the policies that govern their private property. This way, others who are not aware of the policy can still shop there without being confronted with a large sign that says NO FIREARMS as they enter.

hgreen

About 12 of us had a similar experience this weekend in Redondo Beach.

Instead of mall cops, it was Local PD officer who lied and showed utter lack of knowledge of open carry (despite claiming to be the training officer for OC at their department). He demanded that we all leave the mall property or we'd be arrested. Then once he showed up a row of mall cops stood silently behind him handing out copies of the mall code of conduct (similar policy as this mall).

Ironically, we'd had lunches there in the mall just last month with no problem from mall security. I wonder what changed.

http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/mall-cops-ban-open-carry-at-redondo-beach-galleria