• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USPSA matches 1/22 & 1/29

elixin77

Hey guys,

Today at the ENC/Jacksonville meetup, we were talking about possibly getting together this month for the USPSA match(es) coming up. These events are located at the Pitt County Wildlife Club, which is near Greenville, NC.

There are two options:
-January 22nd is the USPSA pistol competition. Double stack, have at least 3 mags, single stack, at least 5 (be able to carry at least 40 rounds on you for the competition). This is a rain or shine event. http://www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org/uspsa
-January 29th is the 3 gun competition. I don't know a lot of details right now, but I am going by the gun shop tomorrow to order me a new rifle and pick one of the worker's brains about the rules. This is a rain or shine event. http://www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org/multigun

If enough people respond quickly enough, and if Dreamer and I have enough time, we *may* be able to get squad shirts made up for us. It all depends on our school schedules, how many people show up, and time available - i.e., this is not set in stone: just an idea I had that Dreamer said may happen.

Keep in mind, it is still a bit chilly, so if you do attend (even to cheer your fellow OCDO members on) dress accordingly.

I'll post more info when I learn more tomorrow, around evening time.

elixin77

Swung by the gun store today - was closed. Thought they were open today...

So, I'll be updating everyone on the multi-gun competition Tuesday, when the gun store opens back up.

Dreamer

Any rifle that is sufficient to knock down a regulation-sized steel "popper" target is allowed, but they also have a "heavy metal" class for "major" calibers. To compete in that one, you need a "major" caliber pistol (45acp, .400 or bigger) and a major caliber rifle (.308 or higher)...

You can download the rules for USPSA Multi-Gun from their website:

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I'll probably take one of my 9mms, Mossy 500, and my AK-74. Any idea if we are supposed to have slings on the rifles and shotguns?

Dreamer

I'll probably take one of my 9mms, Mossy 500, and my AK-74. Any idea if we are supposed to have slings on the rifles and shotguns?

Slings and bipods are OK. You won't be carryng your long gun for any distance--most of the moving you'll make while shooting long guns will be short, and for repositioning, so you'll be carrying it in a "low-ready" (muzzle down) position, most likely.

Also, you'll need slugs (10 rounds I believe) and shot shells (#6,7, or 8 birdshot) for the shotgun.

And I think they usually call for about 100 rounds for pistol, and 50 rounds for rifle, but it depends on the course.

We'll know more details as we get closer to the actual date, plus I'm sure they will have the complete course specifications available for us at the regular match on the 22nd...

elixin77

alright - talked with one of the guys at the gun shop, and got more info for everyone.

Dreamer hit most of it spot on. You will need to have the ability to have at least 2 full reloads for your shotgun, and it would be wise to have at least 3 (double stack) or 5 (single stack) reloads for your pistol, and safe to say about 3 or so 20+ mags for your rifle. He says that he sticks his extra rifle mags in his back pocket, so you don't need to be all mall ninja tacticool'd out to participate.

I completely forgot to ask about slings, but I've seen some youtube vids where people did have slings.

You'll need at least 5, preferably 10 slugs for your shotgun (10 in case you have to do a reshoot). I was in the gun shop at the right time for some of the PCWC higher ups to walk in, and one of them said that you shouldn't need more than 4. Shot should be 6, 7, or 8 bird shot.

On a side note, I also ordered a new toy :banana::banana:

got me my Ruger Mini-14 tactical model (not the one with the ATI stock). Got them to give it to me for 680 before tax, so I should have it in my hands by next week (this friday if I'm lucky). Can't wait!!! I'll post pics when I get it in

M

mattwestm

alright - talked with one of the guys at the gun shop, and got more info for everyone.

Dreamer hit most of it spot on. You will need to have the ability to have at least 2 full reloads for your shotgun, and it would be wise to have at least 3 (double stack) or 5 (single stack) reloads for your pistol, and safe to say about 3 or so 20+ mags for your rifle. He says that he sticks his extra rifle mags in his back pocket, so you don't need to be all mall ninja tacticool'd out to participate.

I completely forgot to ask about slings, but I've seen some youtube vids where people did have slings.

You'll need at least 5, preferably 10 slugs for your shotgun (10 in case you have to do a reshoot). I was in the gun shop at the right time for some of the PCWC higher ups to walk in, and one of them said that you shouldn't need more than 4. Shot should be 6, 7, or 8 bird shot.

On a side note, I also ordered a new toy :banana::banana:

got me my Ruger Mini-14 tactical model (not the one with the ATI stock). Got them to give it to me for 680 before tax, so I should have it in my hands by next week (this friday if I'm lucky). Can't wait!!! I'll post pics when I get it in

Sounds good! I think you'll enjoy the Ruger. It's similar to an M1 Carbine or M14 and the action is really nice and easy to operate. Those 30rnd magazines sure are expensive though!

I gotta buy some ammo soon!

elixin77

I got me a few 20 rounders instead of the 30s. People online were saying that they wouldn't feed properly, even the factory mags. I'd rather take a 10 round count hit than have a faulty magazine

elixin77

i like the ruger but i want the mini 30 my self

I've heard good things about the newer model mini-x. I chose the 14 because there were more options to choose from as a starting point, and there seems to be more accessory options to choose from for the 14. I also chose the 14 because .223 ammo has a much better track record of shooting past 200 yards, if need be. Anything past that, I reach for Sasha (MN 1891/30 - that'll reach out and touch someone, lol).

Anyone else planning on attending either the pistol competition or the multi-gun?

elixin77

My new toy! :)

My new toy came in today

35kn5hh.jpg

It's so... pretty...

M

mattwestm

That looks sweet! Got any ammo for it yet?

Last edited:

elixin77

That looks sweet! Got any ammo for it yet?

1k + 20 .223 remington. I'm heading to the range with my friend Sunday morning to break them in and sight them - if anyone wants to join us, they are more than welcome to.

Matt, if you want to come, my friend wants to try out a compact 1911, to see if it'll fit his hand, so if you plan on coming, please bring your 1911 if you don't mind

Bearfoot

Been giving some serious thought about going to the pistol match to observe how things are done. Never done any type of competition shooting. Have always wanted to see how I would fair against other shooters, and to test myself as well.

The pistol I have is a Glock 21, .45 Auto.

M

mattwestm

1k + 20 .223 remington. I'm heading to the range with my friend Sunday morning to break them in and sight them - if anyone wants to join us, they are more than welcome to.

Matt, if you want to come, my friend wants to try out a compact 1911, to see if it'll fit his hand, so if you plan on coming, please bring your 1911 if you don't mind

I'll be there. What time are you guys getting there? I'll make sure to bring the 1911.

elixin77

Bearfoot, would be awesome to meet up with you again. The best advice anyone can give to someone who's never done this before is to take your time - its better to hit slow then to miss fast.

Matt, we'll probably head out to the range about 10am or so, stay till close to 2. I got a nice big shipment of 45 in, so I can shoot that. I'm more than likely not going to bring out the 91/30, because I have to be at work at 4, and cleaning Sasha is a pain in the a$$. I will be plinking a lot though, since you can't go wrong with sending little 22lr bullets down range :)