• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie Questions about Night Sights Installation

cmdr_iceman71

I’m still relatively new to the gun culture so when I purchased my two FNP-45s last year I thought that night sights were a bit over the top and unnecessary, something that only gun nuts purchased when they ran out of things to buy. lol But now having immersed myself moreso into the gun culture, I now realize that unless a person only plans on carrying during the day or under optimal lighting conditions, night sights are practically a necessity much like working headlights on a vehicle.

I now want to install night sights on my twins but don’t know how to go about it. I’ve found that Ameriglo makes them for the FNP-45.

Are nights sights something the owner can easily install?

If not, who besides a gunsmith can provide such a service for installing them?

How long does the installation process take? Would I have to leave my guns for days or weeks?

Generally speaking, how much does it cost for labor if you already have the night sights?

Would my fixed sights be removed entirely or would some holes simply be bored into them?

cbpeck

I’m still relatively new to the gun culture so when I purchased my two FNP-45s last year I thought that night sights were a bit over the top and unnecessary, something that only gun nuts purchased when they ran out of things to buy. lol But now having immersed myself moreso into the gun culture, I now realize that unless a person only plans on carrying during the day or under optimal lighting conditions, night sights are practically a necessity much like working headlights on a vehicle.

I now want to install night sights on my twins but don’t know how to go about it. I’ve found that Ameriglo makes them for the FNP-45.

Are nights sights something the owner can easily install?

If not, who besides a gunsmith can provide such a service for installing them?

How long does the installation process take? Would I have to leave my guns for days or weeks?

Generally speaking, how much does it cost for labor if you already have the night sights?

Would my fixed sights be removed entirely or would some holes simply be bored into them?

Is it possible for someone to install their own night sights? Yes. Does it require basic gun smithing skills & specialized tools? Usually. Is it worth doing it yourself to save a few bucks? Probably not.

Most small gun shops have a smith on site at least part time. An experienced gun smith can swap sights in less than an hour while maintaining a proper point of aim/impact. They may request that you leave the gun with them, but it depends on their work load. The last time I had a smith put sights on my gun I left it with him around noon and picked it up the same day before closing.

Sights are swapped out, so the old ones go and the new ones are installed in their place. They should give you your old sights back. They are, after all, yours.

My local shops charge about $30-45 to install night sights on a gun. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that shops give breaks on the cost of installation if the sights are bought from them, but I don't know about the shops in your area.

The industry standard seem to be Trijicon, but there are other quality makers including Meprolight and Heinie. I have Trjicon & Meprolight sights on a couple of my guns and have been equally satisfied with both. I imagine that one of the major manufacturers makes sights for your FNP.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:

Don Barnett

Doesn't Take Long...

I believe that one could do the job yourself with perhaps, a small mallet and wooden dowel; but that is just my assumption. I certainly don't think it is "rocket science."

I bought a Kimber Pro Carry II and wanted Night Sights. The store had the correct ones in stock and had them installed in about five minutes. They didn't charge anything to do it but then, I was about to spend about $1000 in their store.

They help with sight alignment even in daylight, so I think they are worth the money.

Once I turned my lane lights off at the range and tore the center out of a target at 7 yards...they WORK!!

XDFDE45

Is it possible for someone to install their own night sights? Yes. Does it require basic gun smithing skills & specialized tools? Usually. Is it worth doing it yourself to save a few bucks? Probably not.
Good advice. I bought the X/S Sights for my XD45 and after they arrived the gun shop I ordered them from installed them at no charge and it was only about a 1-2 day turn around IIRC. If you order them through a shop they may put them in for you since you ordered through them, but that will vary from store to store.

Michigander

Thanks gentlemen. The only manufacturer that I’ve found that makes night sights for the FNP-45 is Ameriglo.

If at all possible, I suggest you get XS big dot sights.

The reason is that in daylight shootings at common self defense distance, using your sights is extremely unnatural, and it is therefore extremely unlikely that your body will allow you to use them against an assailant at handgun defensive distance in the best conditions. When you consider night time, and possible other adverse conditions associated with shootings, it can become all the more vastly less likely than that that you'll use sights defensively.

For this reason, you should always have the fastest sights possible for off chance you'll need them. XS is the very best for speedy sight picture shooting. If they don't make a direct swap system, I would suggest having a gun smith fit XS sights to your FNP's.

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

If at all possible, I suggest you get XS big dot sights.

The reason is that in daylight shootings at common self defense distance, using your sights is extremely unnatural, and it is therefore extremely unlikely that your body will allow you to use them against an assailant at handgun defensive distance in the best conditions. When you consider night time, and possible other adverse conditions associated with shootings, it can become all the more vastly less likely than that that you'll use sights defensively.

For this reason, you should always have the fastest sights possible for off chance you'll need them. XS is the very best for speedy sight picture shooting. If they don't make a direct swap system, I would suggest having a gun smith fit XS sights to your FNP's.

Thanks for the recommendation but, XS Sights doesn’t make anything for the FN’s. I just finished downloading and looking at their online catalog. Moreover, Ameriglo’s sight height measurements are more in line with FN’s factory fixed sights thus precluding the need for me to purchase a whole new array of holsters if it doesn’t fit. Also, Ameriglo Pro Series has a white ring around their front night sight, comparable to XS Sights.

Compared to other handguns like Glock, Springfield, 1911 clones, Sigs and S&W, the FNP-45 is treated like a red-headed step-child when it comes to finding a holster, my choices are rather limited. It took me weeks to break-in my current primary holster (Safariland Model 200) hence, there is no more room for any items that lie outside of manufacturer specifications.

I fear, if I were to install night sights that stand too high, I would probably be left with having to get a custom made holster.

Last edited: