Thread: New guy here...

New guy here...

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and am beginning to plan to open carry. I'm a member of Wisconsin Carry, and I have been a lifelong hunter and shooter, but I have not carried since moving to Wisconsin in 1998 (other than in the woods). Since I live near Madison, I have been reluctant to carry due to our local PD policies and the gun laws on transportation, etc are so much different than I was used to in Ohio where we could just throw it up in the rack and take off...

However, I am going to start soon and hope to be able to make it to one of the OC meet and greets soon.

One thing I have not worked out in my mind is how to go from vehicle to holster without it being "brandishing". I will be carrying an XD40 most of the time.

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum!
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Welcome aboard baldp8.
    As far as brandishing is concerned to the best of my knowledge no one has had any trouble holstering and unholstering next to their vehicle.
    Carry on and carry proud.
    Last edited by johnny amish; 01-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Welcome. There are a few Madison members, perhaps you could carry with them a few times to see how it is done. Also, there is no legal language that defines "brandishing."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned
    Welcome.

Get together with some of the guys and learn the ropes if you are nervous.

Here is a link to the thread for meeting up with other's. It is listed as a sticky on the WI page.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-a-first-timer

There is no such thing as "Brandishing" in WI Statutes. There is no description of how to carry, or what type of holster etc. Technically speaking you could openly carry a firearm in your hand. Although it is NOT RECOMMENED, and will almost guarantee unpleasant conversations with law enforcement.

Getting in or out of your car is easy. Simply make sure your UNCASED firearm DOES NOT enter the vehicle. Remove the case from the vehicle, load up, place in holster. Put case back in car. Do the reverse to enter your vehicle.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

OK, thanks for the information. Good to know about brandishing. That makes me feel alot better.

Always nice to see new members ! welcome to the OC Club.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baldp8 View Post
    OK, thanks for the information. Good to know about brandishing. That makes me feel alot better.
    Come on down on February 13th to the Culvers in Newville. The event is at the top of this forum. If you still feel uncomfortable, come on in, talk with some guys and we can set you straight. I should be there sometime between noon and 1.

In addition, we meet at the Starbucks in Delavan the 1st Sunday of every month.

Cary on!

Welcome. We stand together in this difficult time and I for one am looking forward to meeting you in the future.

Welcome to the Board !!!

You will find alot of useful info here.

Hope to see you at one of the get togethers.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Welcome! Hope to see you around.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.