• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy here...

baldp8

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and am beginning to plan to open carry. I'm a member of Wisconsin Carry, and I have been a lifelong hunter and shooter, but I have not carried since moving to Wisconsin in 1998 (other than in the woods). Since I live near Madison, I have been reluctant to carry due to our local PD policies and the gun laws on transportation, etc are so much different than I was used to in Ohio where we could just throw it up in the rack and take off...

However, I am going to start soon and hope to be able to make it to one of the OC meet and greets soon.

One thing I have not worked out in my mind is how to go from vehicle to holster without it being "brandishing". I will be carrying an XD40 most of the time.

Hope to meet some of you soon.

johnny amish

Welcome aboard baldp8.
As far as brandishing is concerned to the best of my knowledge no one has had any trouble holstering and unholstering next to their vehicle.
Carry on and carry proud.

Last edited:

protias

Welcome. There are a few Madison members, perhaps you could carry with them a few times to see how it is done. Also, there is no legal language that defines "brandishing."

Motofixxer

Here is a link to the thread for meeting up with other's. It is listed as a sticky on the WI page.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77014-Adopt-a-first-timer

There is no such thing as "Brandishing" in WI Statutes. There is no description of how to carry, or what type of holster etc. Technically speaking you could openly carry a firearm in your hand. Although it is NOT RECOMMENED, and will almost guarantee unpleasant conversations with law enforcement.

Getting in or out of your car is easy. Simply make sure your UNCASED firearm DOES NOT enter the vehicle. Remove the case from the vehicle, load up, place in holster. Put case back in car. Do the reverse to enter your vehicle.

paul@paul-fisher.com

OK, thanks for the information. Good to know about brandishing. That makes me feel alot better.

Come on down on February 13th to the Culvers in Newville. The event is at the top of this forum. If you still feel uncomfortable, come on in, talk with some guys and we can set you straight. I should be there sometime between noon and 1.

In addition, we meet at the Starbucks in Delavan the 1st Sunday of every month.

Cary on!