Thread: Can my wife carry a gun registered to me?

Question Can my wife carry a gun registered to me?

Due to some recent attacks in my neighborhood, my wife wants to being UOC when she goes running.

Can she do so with a gun registered to me without my presence?

I found this section which might apply:

2) The dealer licensing and reporting requirements do not apply to the loan of any firearm
    in the following instances:
    Infrequent loans of firearms between persons who are personally known to each
    other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration. (Penal
    Code 12078(d).)
    Loans of a firearm for

Yes... sort of.

From what iv found in my experience,

1. You willingly lent it for lawful purposes
    2. The loan does not exceed 3 days.
    3. She has a current Handgun Safety Certificate (OR)
    4. She remains at all times within YOUR presence

However, if you are carrying ammo for the handgun and you somehow get charged with CCing the weapon (shirt came untucked etc) with PC 12025(a)(6) allows it to be charged as a FELONY since it was registered to YOU and NOT HER!

So be careful of that.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by XD5; 01-09-2011 at 04:52 PM.

30 days for loan.

Is this an actually registered handgun, or do you refer to the DROS and form 4473 when you bought it?

Either way...not illegal.

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Army View Post
    30 days for loan.

Is this an actually registered handgun, or do you refer to the DROS and form 4473 when you bought it?

Either way...not illegal.
    DROS? Remember to spell out acronyms.

4473 does not equal registrsation in California - many guns are not registered - register thru the Cal Depart. of Pub. Safety if you want to avoid the dreaded felony carrying concealed problem - else, no penalty for owning or carrying openly an unregistered handgun.

Strange set of laws in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

4473 does not equal registrsation in California - many guns are not registered - register thru the Cal Depart. of Pub. Safety if you want to avoid the dreaded felony carrying concealed problem - else, no penalty for owning or carrying openly an unregistered handgun.

Dealer's Record of Sale
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Mike is correct, 4473 is irrelevant in this matter; the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) is the process by which CA registers handguns.

To transfer ownership from spouse to spouse (and some other operation of law transfers), the transferee must have a valid HSC, and the transferor should fill out and submit this form: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf.

For more information, see this wiki article: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...Family_Members
    Brandon Combs
    Secretary, Calguns Foundation
    Member, CRPA Board of Directors

Join me in making regular monthly tax-deductible donations to the Calguns Foundation and help us advance gun rights in California today!

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all comments are my own and not the approved position of any organization, nor should they be considered legal advice.

By registered I just meant the process of purchasing the handgun, the dealer record of sale, etc.

I am not looking to transfer the handgun to my wife, but only to lend it to her when she goes running by herself.
    Last edited by Ruiner.NIN; 01-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner.NIN View Post
    By registered I just meant the process of purchasing the handgun, the dealer record of sale, etc.

I am not looking to transfer the handgun to my wife, but only to lend it to her when she goes running by herself.
    XD5 covered it (but with a typo; 3 days = 30days) in post #2 above...

Sorry, thought everyone knows what the DROS was by now.