• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can my wife carry a gun registered to me?

Ruiner.NIN

Due to some recent attacks in my neighborhood, my wife wants to being UOC when she goes running.

Can she do so with a gun registered to me without my presence?

I found this section which might apply:

2) The dealer licensing and reporting requirements do not apply to the loan of any firearm
in the following instances:
• Infrequent loans of firearms between persons who are personally known to each
other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration. (Penal
Code § 12078(d).)
• Loans of a firearm for

XD5

Yes... sort of.

From what iv found in my experience,

1. You willingly lent it for lawful purposes
2. The loan does not exceed 3 days.
3. She has a current Handgun Safety Certificate (OR)
4. She remains at all times within YOUR presence

However, if you are carrying ammo for the handgun and you somehow get charged with CCing the weapon (shirt came untucked etc) with PC 12025(a)(6) allows it to be charged as a FELONY since it was registered to YOU and NOT HER!

So be careful of that.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
30 days for loan.

Is this an actually registered handgun, or do you refer to the DROS and form 4473 when you bought it?

Either way...not illegal.

DROS? Remember to spell out acronyms.

4473 does not equal registrsation in California - many guns are not registered - register thru the Cal Depart. of Pub. Safety if you want to avoid the dreaded felony carrying concealed problem - else, no penalty for owning or carrying openly an unregistered handgun.

Strange set of laws in California.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

4473 does not equal registrsation in California - many guns are not registered - register thru the Cal Depart. of Pub. Safety if you want to avoid the dreaded felony carrying concealed problem - else, no penalty for owning or carrying openly an unregistered handgun.

Dealer's Record of Sale

wildhawker

Mike is correct, 4473 is irrelevant in this matter; the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) is the process by which CA registers handguns.

To transfer ownership from spouse to spouse (and some other operation of law transfers), the transferee must have a valid HSC, and the transferor should fill out and submit this form: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf.

For more information, see this wiki article: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

Ruiner.NIN

By registered I just meant the process of purchasing the handgun, the dealer record of sale, etc.

I am not looking to transfer the handgun to my wife, but only to lend it to her when she goes running by herself.

Last edited:

mjones

By registered I just meant the process of purchasing the handgun, the dealer record of sale, etc.

I am not looking to transfer the handgun to my wife, but only to lend it to her when she goes running by herself.

XD5 covered it (but with a typo; 3 days = 30days) in post #2 above...