• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped by the Law

mFonz77

I've become so safety conscious that I can't pick up a gas nozzle from the pump without putting my trigger finger alongside the frame. Same with electric drills, spray bottles, etc.

I will pay attention next time I fill up the Jeep, I don't think I do it with gas pumps (mechanism is different muscle memory) but I do do that with drills, etc, anything that is index-trigger actuated...

azcdlfred

I will pay attention next time I fill up the Jeep, I don't think I do it with gas pumps (mechanism is different muscle memory) but I do do that with drills, etc, anything that is index-trigger actuated...
I didn't start paying attention until I was walking around with a spray bottle and noticed my hand was hurting. I looked down and saw that I had my index finger alongside the nozzle. That's when I started becoming aware of doing that with anything that has a trigger or is shaped like a gun. I go out of my way not to "muzzle" myslef when handling these items also.

I also can't pick up any gun without doing a chamber check and magazine check. Even at home, whenever I pick up my own gun.

Fred

TechnoWeenie

the whole story sounds made up, no cop could be that dumb.

I beg to differ...

I was detained in WA for open carrying.. The officer racked the slide back on my glock, then dropped the magazine.. I told the officer that there was a round in the chamber and he yelled back that he knew what he was doing, and handed my gun to another officer.. The other officer glared at him, racked the slide back, and of course out popped the chambered round.... I just shook my head at him....

The scary part was... They were issued Glock 22s, I had a Glock 17, they are IDENTICAL in size and function.....

jeremy05

I beg to differ...

I was detained in WA for open carrying.. The officer racked the slide back on my glock, then dropped the magazine.. I told the officer that there was a round in the chamber and he yelled back that he knew what he was doing, and handed my gun to another officer.. The other officer glared at him, racked the slide back, and of course out popped the chambered round.... I just shook my head at him....

The scary part was... They were issued Glock 22s, I had a Glock 17, they are IDENTICAL in size and function.....

This is AZ.

azcdlfred

SPLAIN YOUR SELF LUCY! ( cuban accent ), maybe things are more draconian in Wa., but this is Az. and things are done different here.
The laws may be different (and better!) but that doesn't mean gun handling by cops is any better in AZ than in other states.

My experience is that by and large, cops are not "gun guys." For too many, their gun is something else they have to hang on their Batman utility belts. They may be well intended and super nice guys and gals, but that doesn't mean they remembered the safety lessons from their academy days or that they understand how any gun, other than their own, works. Especially in the middle of a traffic stop where a citizen has a gun.

Here in Tucson, local cops are issued Glocks - a "point and click" device. Odds are if they encounter a typical DA/SA semi-auto with an external safety that includes a decocker, they'd have trouble. Same with locking back the slide. I spend lots of time at the range helping people with different guns. It's takes me awhile to figure where the slide stop is, and I've handled more types of pistols than the average person.

Fred

rickc1962

Fred, you just cant fix stupid, and I know Az. has its share. My point is, Az. does have some of best 2nd Amendment laws in the United States, and they are getting better year after year. Most of the cops here in Az. do understand the law and do live by it. We do have dumb cops, and even some bad cops, most of them come here from Ca. and don`t know what its like to live in a free state, there are usually one of three things that happen to them, they conform, leave the state, or get fired and find another career.

azcdlfred

Fred, you just cant fix stupid, and I know Az. has its share. My point is, Az. does have some of best 2nd Amendment laws in the United States, and they are getting better year after year. Most of the cops here in Az. do understand the law and do live by it. We do have dumb cops, and even some bad cops, most of them come here from Ca. and don`t know what its like to live in a free state, there are usually one of three things that happen to them, they conform, leave the state, or get fired and find another career.
On the other hand, Sheriff Dupnik seems to have made a nice career for himself :lol:

chrsjhnsn

oh I can understand not being able to rack a slide on a gun that has all the bells and whistles, but pointing at ppl?
I still think the story is fishy, plus he never came up with a name/badge number time place etc

azcdlfred

oh I can understand not being able to rack a slide on a gun that has all the bells and whistles, but pointing at ppl? I still think the story is fishy, plus he never came up with a name/badge number time place etc
I have no idea about the veracity of the original story, but regarding a cop "muzzling" everyone while trying to manipulate a pistol I can totally buy into.

Just because they are cops doesn't make them better gun handlers than everyone else. From my experience, volunteering at the local county ranges, aiming the firearm at other people is sadly too common when people are trying to clear a firearm. And, from my observations, the LEOs who show up to play at the range, tend to be less safety conscious than the average gun owner. As one who has had many "but it's unloaded" guns pointed at me at the range, the image of a cop waving the muzzle around while trying to unload an umfamilar pistol is totally plausible to me.

My 2 cents,
Fred

Last edited:

Dahwg

On the other hand, Sheriff Dupnik seems to have made a nice career for himself :lol:

That can be blamed on the uber-liberal voters in Pima County. I swear, I don't personally know many liberals, but they must be out here somewhere the way all the elections go.

Last edited:
That can be blamed on the uber-liberal voters in Pima County. I swear, I don't personally know many liberals, but they must be out here somewhere the way all the elections go.

Just look for any and all employees of UofA, city and county entities. Also, the entire Hispanic population (especially those in south Tucson).

There's your liberal base. I remember how aggravating it was some twenty years ago when my wife and I lived in Tucson -- and the ultra-lib snowbirds just made it worse.

azcdlfred

Just look for any and all employees of UofA, city and county entities. Also, the entire Hispanic population (especially those in south Tucson). There's your liberal base. I remember how aggravating it was some twenty years ago when my wife and I lived in Tucson -- and the ultra-lib snowbirds just made it worse.
Typical university town. It was the same when I lived in Austin in the 80's.

On the other hand, my opinion is that the pro-RKBA passion among gun owners is much higher in Tucson. AzCDL is statewide but, based on my job of processing memberships, at least 40% of our membership is from Tucson. Based on population it should only be about 16%.

Fred

3fgburner

the whole story sounds made up, no cop could be that dumb.

They can be that dumb. Back a few years ago, I got pulled over for wrong way on a one-way. There's a one-block stretch of road that goes one-way, right next to the parking lot of a restaurant where a lot of VCDL used to have OC dinners.

I pulled back into the parking lot, placed the gun (FEG PA63, doesn't have a slide-lock button) on the seat, hands 10 and 2 with license / registration / CHP in hand. Turned on the dome light.

They had me get out of the car, and put my hands on the hood. One of the cops reached in, grabbed my gun, AND ASKED ME WHERE THE SAFETY WAS. Had his finger on the trigger, too.