Thread: NC at it again....

NC at it again....

Still no announcement. I wonder if they are going to issue another SoE, and if it will be state-wide again?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

soooo can we carry or not?

As long as an SoE isn't declared, all is well...

If Gov. Perdue declares an SoE, she will most likely lie to us all again, and tell us that it's still OK to carry, and she will advise NC LEAs not to enforce NCGS §14-288.7, in violation of her Constitutional Duty, and in violation of the NC Criminal Statutes.

She and the AG have been telling LEAs to selectively enforce the NC Criminal code during SoEs since the Second Amendment Foundation filed their lawsuit to challenge this restriction, as a legal strategy to establish that the People of NC have no standing because they can show no "injury" by this law. She is wrong. Her assertions that there is some way to declare an SoE that does not automatically make §14-288.7 applicable are false, and telling LEAs to not enforce it is not within her legal authority, and is a direct violation of her duty as Governor according to the NC Constitution.

What it comes down to, is that even if an SoE is declared, the firearms transport ban effected by §14.288.7 will not be enforced.

So technically it IS still illegal to carry off your private property, but no LEO is going to charge you with the violation, because the Governor will tell them not to...

However, under her logic, they can't charge you with Failure to Disperse (14.288.5) or Disturbing the Peace (14-288.4) either, since those Statutes are under the same section (and I think any intelligent person can see that such an assertion is patently absurd...)

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedl..._14-288.5.html

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedl..._14-288.4.html

Carry all you want.
    She'll tell the LEAs not to enforce the law of our State.

The Rule of Law is dead in NC--but Jim Crow and Politically Expedient Oligarchy are alive and well...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

GO PIRATES!!!!!

I'm a criminal now. I feel so.....dirty....

just like the confederates who refused to surrender their arms 146 years ago i'm agin the law
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

Yes, Gov. Perdue has declared an SoE by Executive Order, and once again has declared it under 166A, which she claims does not activate §14-288.7...

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/News...ewsItemID=1617

Lies, lies, lies...

I'll be driving to Fayetteville this evening to visit family. And I will be in proud violation of §14-288.7... Lucky for me we have a lawless government, and the Executive has advised LEAs not to enforce the criminal code...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

What happened? Did you get an inch of snow again?

Actually, we have no show in Washington or Greenville yet. But other parts of the state have received as much as 7". And there is supposed to be up to 6 inches on the coast, and ice tomorrow.

I think the REAL issue is that most of the counties and municipalities in NC have already blown their snow removal budgets for the year (they ran WAY over in 2010) and this is just a ploy to get Federal funding for the response.

It's all about the Benjamins...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Here, outside Raleigh, we have approximately .005" on the vehicles. None on the ground...
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

We have 8" now in Laurinburg with the addition of freezing rain over night.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Clayton, NC - Nothing but rain (albeit freezing), but no snow yet.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

About 3-4 inches in my front yard. Now just waiting for the freezing rain and sleet to fall.

I withdraw my previous comment, and amend it as such:

I am possibly a criminal, but it's ok either way because the Governor says it's ok because she side stepped the actual laws and invented her own so she wouldn't hear it from the gun crowd, plus whatever it is that's illegal wont be enforced anyway.

Woot!

Just a note to remind everyone that EO 78 (the State of Emergency declared on 10 Jan, 2011) is STILL in effect state-wide. Gov. Perdue has not issued a termination declaration.

Declared SoEs stay in effect for 30 days after they are declared, or until the Governor terminated them by EO.

Just FYI...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Just a note to remind everyone that EO 78 (the State of Emergency declared on 10 Jan, 2011) is STILL in effect state-wide. Gov. Perdue has not issued a termination declaration.

Declared SoEs stay in effect for 30 days after they are declared, or until the Governor terminated them by EO.

Just FYI...
    Is there even any snow on the ground anywhere?
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    Is there even any snow on the ground anywhere?
    No, but there's money in DC to be had as long as the SoE remains in effect.

Well, I for one am a felon, as I just purchased a new toy

My Ruger Mini-14 tactical came in today, so me and my friend went to pick them up. Signed our paperwork, and the guy behind the counter even had to call the sheriff for my friend because he doesn't have a CHP - no issues there.

mattwestm
    Well, I for one am a felon, as I just purchased a new toy

My Ruger Mini-14 tactical came in today, so me and my friend went to pick them up. Signed our paperwork, and the guy behind the counter even had to call the sheriff for my friend because he doesn't have a CHP - no issues there.
    Huh, why was the Sheriff called? Maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

Oh yeah, me too. I bought a Hi-Point .40 Carbine at the Dixie this last weekend.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Y'all...did I say that right?...need to get an exception added to 288.7.

Here is the law in PA:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency
    (a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
    (1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.
    (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    (b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
    "Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Huh, why was the Sheriff called? Maybe I'm not reading it correctly.
    NICS check. If you have a CHP, the dealer doesn't have to call the sheriff's office

NICS check. If you have a CHP, the dealer doesn't have to call the sheriff's office

NICS... National Instant Criminal (background check) System... That is a 800# that is manned by the FBI... What would the sheriff have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by mekender View Post
    NICS... National Instant Criminal (background check) System... That is a 800# that is manned by the FBI... What would the sheriff have to do with anything?
    aha. then its the FBI the dealer called, not the sheriff. so my previous statement was wrong