• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guess No Open Carry for Texas.

B.D. WALKER

The session starts on Jan 11th and the last day to propose and file a bill is not until March. So I am still being optimistic about an Open carry bill for Texas...

dedeye

There are 3145 House Bills and 2588 Senate Bills. Have you looked at each one?

Looked at it again. This is a list of bills from 2009.

Well i searched for anything containing 'open carry,gun, weapon' and had some results concerning firearms but nothing concerning opencarry.

KBCraig

Search for "handgun"; there are currently 13 hits. Not all of them are about carrying; some are about ID, so I assume they address the CHL as ID.

None are about OC, but, again: the session doesn't start until Tuesday.

B.D. WALKER

I usually search and filter with date using "open carry in Texas" or "Texas open carry'; so far nothing yet. But there is still some time, so I'll keep checking back.

eye95

Just a caution about your searches: The bill might not have the phrase "open carry" in it. Since laws don't state what is legal, but bar what is illegal, open carry could be made legal by adding the word "concealed" to a law making generic carry illegal.

pooley

As much as I hate to say this, I really doubt they push for open carry until CCW is allowed on campuses & such. Right now that's what they're pushing for because it's a little less drastic & would pass more easily. They're (TSRA and others) feel they have a much better chance of getting those things passed without mentioning open carry (keeping the alarmists from getting alarmed).

Personally I think 2013 is a more realistic goal to hope for.