• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congresswoman readies gun control bill...

Butch00

Due to all the talk of gun legislation I'll be ordering 14 High Capacity Magazines, this week.

frommycolddeadhands

Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html#ixzz1AavzL44m

There are ALREADY laws against threating public officials, and there are laws against threatening REGULAR CITIZENS. And isn't the 1st Amendment SUPPOSED to allow us to be critical of our elected officials? Since when are they any different from the rest of us?

since9

Campaign Veteran
And isn't the 1st Amendment SUPPOSED to allow us to be critical of our elected officials?

Yes, provided it's done in a respectable manner.

Since when are they any different from the rest of us?

Since we've had to address them as "Dear Honorable SoAndSo."

While their position demands our respect, their position also demands their service, not their lording their office over us. As Rep. Boehner recently said in his acceptance speech, "We fired Nancy Pelosi," and I strongly suspect it was because she was well-known for her attitude of looking down at the rest of us. Such snobbery deserves a boot from office, and we're just going to have to ensure any and all Congressmen who attempt to yank our rights for nonsensical reasons get the same boot.

So! Remember Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady come election time, to ensure he gets the same "Thank you, but no thanks!" electorial boot we gave Pelosi!

Last edited:

eye95

Yes, provided it's [criticism of our elected officials is] done in a respectable manner...

The First Amendment places no such restriction of "respectability." We can be as disrespectful as we choose, and the First Amendment still protects that speech. We SHOULD be respectful in our political discourse as it is the rational and civil way to go about it. That does not mean that we should not be brutally frank and harsh in our criticism. Frankness and harshness, born of honesty and rationality, is not incivility.

rodbender

The First Amendment places no such restriction of "respectability." We can be as disrespectful as we choose, and the First Amendment still protects that speech. We SHOULD be respectful in our political discourse as it is the rational and civil way to go about it. That does not mean that we should not be brutally frank and harsh in our criticism. Frankness and harshness, born of honesty and rationality, is not incivility.

Thanks. You beat me to it. Saved me a lot of typing.

frommycolddeadhands

+100

wrightme

Being respectful can also bear much more fruit than being disrespectful. Those on a fence will be more likely to fall on the near side when it is presented as a land of honey, as opposed to being presented as a land of vinegar.

If I coulda mixed some more metaphors in there, I woulds......

Last edited:

eye95

Being respectful can also bear much more fruit than being disrespectful. Those on a fence will be more likely to fall on the near side when it is presented as a land of honey, as opposed to being presented as a land of vinegar.

If I coulda mixed some more metaphors in there, I woulds......

Well, you started with a fruit metaphor and ended with the fly metaphor. So, your post is about fruit-flies. Wait...was that uncivil?

nonameisgood

It has nothing to do with control, Mr. Noname.

It's simply the honorable thing to do.

Yes, obviously, and if we met IRL, you'd know me by my polite, diplomatic and firm approach to things. Of course polite works better that rough and uncouth, but it is not required. I think we are on the same page.

+1 to our gorilla friend's comments.

Dreamer

McCarthey is a disgusting ghoul, who has based her entire political career on bathing in the blood of her slain husband and other such victims.

Her bloodlust knows no bounds, and she is ALWAYS one of the first to dip her hands in the blood-puddles of victims of violence and smear her face with their draining sanguinity, so that she may draw the attention of the media to her never-ending game of "look at MEEEE--I'm a Victim TOOOOO!"

She is disgusting. She is sick. And she is a sad, sad, little woman who needs some SERIOUS professional help.

But most of all, she needs to be voted OUT of office, right after she is outed for the ghoulish, blood-dripping spectre of hate, racism, and classism that she is.

Pray for her soul.

But ALSO pray the good people of New York's 4th District will show her the door to the unemployment office in 2012...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Worse than that, she is an opportunistic ghoul, who has based her whole political career on the grisly display of bathing in the blood of her husband (who was murdered on the NY subway by Colin Ferguson).

Before reading Dreamer's post, I was thinking the thread title was a little misleading. I was thinking a better one would read: "Political Beast Prepares To Kill More Innocents". However, I think Dreamer's use of the word "ghoul" inspired. :)

since9

Campaign Veteran

I agree with your statement 100%, eye95.

This is Suzzanna Gratia Hupp. She served as a Texas Stae Represenitive sometime back.
She lost her parents in the Luby's Cafeteria shootings which some of you will remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis&feature=player_embedded

Wise, rational lady.

These two are fairly sane, too. :)

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Huh!?!?! The politicians threaten us with their monopoly: force and violence. Many in society threaten each other with force and violence--Dems vs Repubs vs Commies vs Greens vs... Banditry and thuggery institutionalized.

And, we should be respectful because it is the rational and civil way to go about discoursing?

Hah!

(Hunt up what the Founders said about each other. Oooooo. Oww. Our discourse is practically a ladies garden club social afternoon by comparison.)

since9

Campaign Veteran
The Myth Busters (Tom & Jerry) are buffoons. No one should believe anything they say re: somethng is doable or not. The kids they added to their cast (who also "prove" or "disprove" so-called "myths") are even less believable. It's like getting your history lessons from BS/revisionist/PC Hollywood.

The show is just for entertainment...

They do try and get things right, but they're not always right. They're certainly neither scientists or physicists. They're Hollywood special effects personnel, and while I think they do a good job of entertaining their audiences, some shows I've watched and wondered why the question (whatever question) was being asked that week, as "everyone know the answer to that one."

Still, they're fun to watch, unlike Congresswoman McCarthy.