Thread: 911 called on me

Cool 911 called on me

So I went to Smiths on Eastern and Windmill to get some orange juice around 3pm. I shop there all the time. On my way out one of the cart guys stopped me and said be careful because he thinks someone called the cops on me. I walk out and a metro squad car is parked right outside with two cops sitting in it. One female and one male. They both exit the car as I walk towards my car and initiate a stop.

Female cop: Excuse me sir can we speak to you for a second?

At this point a million things go through my mind. I can turtle up and say nothing, I could ask for RAS or PC for this stop and ask if I'm free to go or play it cool.

Me: umm ok.

Female cop: We got a call about a man with a gun and came to check it out.

Me: ok

Female cop: I guess someone got scared when they saw your firearm.

Male cop: Yeah people don't know this is an open carry state.

Female cop: Well we wanted to make sure you weren't a crazy person. Have a nice day sir.

I must say i really love Nevada. Coming from California I could never dream about an encounter when the cops are called that doesn't result in eating pavement let alone not even being asked a single question about my identity, intentions, or actions.

I think more of this may start to happen to us. The whole see something say something crap the gov has been putting out.

I prefer to say "I understand" rather than "okay." The reason is the phrase "okay" may be interpreted as consent to what ever veiled request the police may be making. In terms of this encounter it would seem that the response, "Okay" is not a problem.

It seems that both you and the police handled the encounter well, though I don't see the need for the police to make contact with someone when the only thing reported was lawful activity.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 01-10-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: that evil grammar

Thumbs up

Good job, greengum.

I think you illustrated something I've believed for a while, that you have to give the LEO's something on which to base their judgment call; i.e., showing yourself as a calm and lawful citizen. Your use of "OK" responses was a nice touch, giving nothing away yet being still engaged with the LEO's.

I've never been an advocate of the "shut up" strategy which, while certainly lawful and most careful, also raises the level of the LEO's concerns. That's when they are tempted to go for ID and other questionable/unlawful clues to whether or not you can all just go on about your businesses. Of course, you can always fall back on the "shut up" tactics the moment an LEO steps over the line. Sounds like you were prepared to do so ... so good for you. Also good for the officers for being knowledgeable and polite during their mandatory response to the 911 call.

Smile and be polite, like our mom's trained us.
    "Let your gun be your companion on all your walks."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    who might have wished he carried my .45ACP G-36 1+6+1

28kfps
    What is a RAS or PC? I believe you did well. May be she learn something as well? Treat the legal carrying public with respect and receive the same treatment. You walked away saying you really love Nevada and representing open carrying in positive way. Hopefully the cop walked away saying they had a pleasant experience with an open carry civilian.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    What is a RAS or PC? ......

RAS = Reasonable articulable suspicion

PC = Probable cause

28kfps
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    RAS = Reasonable articulable suspicion

PC = Probable cause
    Thanks

Hopefully the cop walked away saying they had a pleasant experience with an open carry civilian.
    EXCELLENT point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    I think more of this may start to happen to us. The whole see something say something crap the gov has been putting out.
    Not only because of that. But what happened down in AZ.

Good job Greengum.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I think we shall be seeing more and more acceptance of OC across the country as LEA become tuned and trained. There will still be exceptions and outright resistance in some areas, but we are winning the respect we deserve - we are making progress.

Good job!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Nice Job.........Let US not forget "ERIC SCOTT" !

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    I prefer to say "I understand" rather than "okay." The reason is the phrase "okay" may be interpreted as consent to what ever veiled request the police may be making. In terms of this encounter it would seem that the response, "Okay" is not a problem.
    If you want to go that route (interpretation of meaning) then I would caution against 'I understand' as well. I can't recall where, but I heard/read that 'understand' is a legal term that indicates acceptance/agreement. I understand = I 'stand under' = 'I support'...or something like that.

Under this theory, stating that you 'understand' a statement made equates to agreement with that assertion. I would suggest 'I comprehend' instead. This allows that there is no confusion as to the statement, yet does not open the door to misinterpretation (valid or not) of support for the assertion(s) made.

How 'bout some of my favorites?

You don't say!
    Well, I never!
    Imagine that!
    Noo waay!
    Who'da thunk it?
    Wow!

So that's all it takes to determine if a person is crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    So that's all it takes to determine if a person is crazy?
    They received a call on a person who was conducting themselves in a lawful manner, they were able to conclude that the caller was crazy.

They were required to respond to said call, the dispatcher was crazy.

Upon arrival at the scene they completed their response to the call by finding an ordinary, average guy going about his ordinary, average business. Not crazy at all. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    How 'bout some of my favorites?

You don't say!
    Well, I never!
    Imagine that!
    Noo waay!
    Who'da thunk it?
    Wow!
    You forgot:

Hot Damn!
    Shiver me timbers!
    Well, paint me green and call me Gumby!
    What crazy person did that?

28kfps
    Excuse me sir can we speak to you for a second? Sure, whatever rips your panty hose!

Campaign Veteran
    I think most of you who know me know how I would respond.

A simple and polite "No thank you." should end the encounter pretty quickly....so quick you probably don't even need to slow down while pushing your grocery cart.

I agree with Gordie on the dispatcher part. Speaking from speculation (since I haven't heard the 911 call), the call should have been pretty calm, in which case the dispatcher should have put an end to it before it gets to an officer. That dispatcher acted irresponsibly (again, assuming the Sheep didn't insist despite her reassurance that OC is legal).