Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCSO breifly "detained" me

SCSO breifly "detained" me

I need to set the scene for this.
    I shoot at a pit behind a locked gate. It's only 100 yards or so to the pit, so I load up my wheelbarrow in the back of the p/u, and put all my "stuff" in there to go up the hill to shoot.
    I set up my bench, chrono, targets, etc and loaded to shoot some strings.
    After my first shot, I hear someone call.
    Turn to see a female SCSO deputy. She asks me to step away from the firearm. I do, and approach her. She says she is investigating a call of illegal dumping. I explain that this pit is little used by shooters, and I jealously guard against it being trashed like so many others that have become off-limits. She says it is apparent that there is no illegal dumping going on, and asks for my name so she can document that there was no violation. I acquiesce, tho it seems unnecessary. I'd rather not encourage her to look for some other reason to roust me.
    She leaves, asking that I not return to my bench and AR until she is out of sight. I agree, so she can feel safe in her job.
    So, tho my session was delayed a few minutes, it ended well, and we parted friends, or at least not adversarys.
    It was sort of OC, but there were long arms as well as peestolas.
    So, did you bust any caps this weekend?

Were you carrying?

A sidearm durning this event? Do you carry a sidearm while you are at target practice?

If you do not, my I encourage you to continue to OC a sidearm. What a better place for a criminal to rob you of your guns while you are unarmed and reloading.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    A sidearm durning this event? Do you carry a sidearm while you are at target practice?

If you do not, my I encourage you to continue to OC a sidearm. What a better place for a criminal to rob you of your guns while you are unarmed and reloading.
    I had 2 sidearms available, but it would have been very foolhardy for someone to mess with any piece not immediately supervised. Since my AR was with me, a thief would have been at a serious disadvantage.
    I was more concerned about my truck, out of visual while I was shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post

Roger that. I went to a very small pit in Skagit Co today with my son and a buddy. I was OC but there was always someone next to the rifles. I always keep one pistol loaded at all times and never set down a loaded firearm.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    It sounds like she just needed some info for a report. Good encounter!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

I did a few rounds of skeet this weekend. I did carry my sidearm also.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Not to critique you Hammer just my own curiosity.

I wonder if the encounter would have ended so friendly if you said no to the name request? In my personal experiences this question of "authority" suddenly turns friendly into antagonistic.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    It sounds like she just needed some info for a report. Good encounter!
    Really, That's what they say so then can run you. The report could just as easily read. Talked with a white, male, aprrox. 6' tall, blue eyes, brown hair. Vehicle number XX0X0X, No dumping occurred.. End report.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Wouldn't a more appropriate "Heading" have been "I was CONTACTED by SCSO rather than sensationalizing the encounter with the word "Detained"?

It would be a pretty unbelievable stretch to say you were detained at all. Sounded like a rather amiable encounter. No cuff's, no sitting in a back seat, no guns pointed. If only they could all be like this.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Wouldn't a more appropriate "Heading" have been "I was CONTACTED by SCSO rather than sensationalizing the encounter with the word "Detained"?

It would be a pretty unbelievable stretch to say you were detained at all. Sounded like a rather amiable encounter. No cuff's, no sitting in a back seat, no guns pointed. If only they could all be like this.
    Since the word "detained" was in quotes in the title, I took it to be rather tongue-in-cheek, not an attempt to sensationalize anything.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Since the word "detained" was in quotes in the title, I took it to be rather tongue-in-cheek, not an attempt to sensationalize anything.
    That's more it, and since detained by general definition is to be delayed in one's progress against their will it was a brief detainment.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner
    I wonder if the encounter would have ended so friendly if you said no to the name request? In my personal experiences this question of "authority" suddenly turns friendly into antagonistic.
    I wondered the same thing, and since I WAS behind a locked gate without specific permission to be there, I didn't want to cause a reason to look for some trumped up violation to pursue. It seemed clear to me that if I gave my name she would be satisfied and go away. I just wanted to return to my shot string and relieve my chrono's battery. I could sense she was a bit uncomfortable approaching alone in an isolated place and clearly outgunned. I had a good 50 pounds on her as well, so she probably looked to worst case and was cautious. LEOs have NOT forgotten that not too long ago a female SCSO was shot down in a rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    SNIP.

LEOs have NOT forgotten that not too long ago a female SCSO was shot down in a rural area.
    Just wondering - - which county was this in? I see SCSO and I think Spokane but I'm not aware of any female Spokane deputy being shot.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    Just wondering - - which county was this in? I see SCSO and I think Spokane but I'm not aware of any female Spokane deputy being shot.
    Skagit County, an hour north of the big city.
    The gunman shot 6 or 7 people, engaged LEOs in a chase, then turned in at the sherriff's office to declare himself insane. Sounds like crazy like a fox....

Skagit County, an hour north of the big city.
    The gunman shot 6 or 7 people, engaged LEOs in a chase, then turned in at the sherriff's office to declare himself insane. Sounds like crazy like a fox....
    Well, had to be that or Snohomish or Skamania. Pretty sure it wasn't Stevens or Spokane. Thanks!
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post

I too noticed the quotes around the word detained.

I wonder if the OPer felt a little more commanded than maybe the wording of the OP indicates.

I guess I'm just not sure I understand why the word detained was used.

Founder's Club Member
    Hammer,

Regarding your cooperation, were you there under, shall we say, questionable legality? Meaning private property not your own without permission?

I'm just trying to figure out if there was some circumstance that made it seem to you in your better interests to cooperate.

I was going to ask the same thing, I found an AG opinion that shooting on public land is pre-empted by the state. Locked gates are to keep vehicles out usually because of dumpers.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

SVG,
    Can you post or pm a copy of that opinion? It could be very valuable to have when shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Hammer,

Regarding your cooperation, were you there under, shall we say, questionable legality? Meaning private property not your own without permission?

I'm just trying to figure out if there was some circumstance that made it seem to you in your better interests to cooperate.
    That is true. I keep telling myself I will research the owner(s) of the pit, and get permission. But not having it, it was in my interest to keep the peace with the LEO and not make waves. I'll edit this if I soon find the owner and it is public land.

Edit to add: It is a timber co
    Last edited by Hammer; 01-11-2011 at 08:42 PM.

That is true. I keep telling myself I will research the owner(s) of the pit, and get permission. But not having it, it was in my interest to keep the peace with the LEO and not make waves. I'll edit this if I soon find the owner and it is public land.

Edit to add: It is a timber co
    They might not be so quick to give permission. I used to ride my motorcycle on what ended up being Plum Creek Timber land. They quickly put up No Trespassing signs. Argument given was they didn't want to be liable if anyone was hurt.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    SVG,
    Can you post or pm a copy of that opinion? It could be very valuable to have when shooting.
    I'll go look for it again, I posted it quite awhile ago.

Edit: Found the thread_

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...shooting-zones

The link isn't working and when I pasted it I get an error message from the site now.

I copied and pasted McKenna's opinion in the thread though.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 01-11-2011 at 11:34 PM.

SVG,
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I'll go look for it again, I posted it quite awhile ago.

Edit: Found the thread_

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...shooting-zones

The link isn't working and when I pasted it I get an error message from the site now.

I copied and pasted McKenna's opinion in the thread though.
    Here you go:
    http://www.atg.wa.gov/AGOOpinions/Op...chive&id=21188

Sounds like good policing to me.

What would everyone be saying if instead of SVG, the shooter was some nutjob or escaped murderer, who was sighting in so he could go shoot up a shopping mall or school yard. And, the deputy checked him out, didn't bother to get his name? Everyone would be saying what a lousy job she did, not even checking to see if he was. Everyone would be saing that people are dead because of that lazy cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Hayes View Post
    Sounds like good policing to me.

What would everyone be saying if instead of SVG, the shooter was some nutjob or escaped murderer, who was sighting in so he could go shoot up a shopping mall or school yard. And, the deputy checked him out, didn't bother to get his name? Everyone would be saying what a lousy job she did, not even checking to see if he was. Everyone would be saing that people are dead because of that lazy cop.
    I wouldn't be saying that. If the guy was not breaking any laws.
    Just because there are a few nut jobs out there I am not willing to sacrifice liberty for safety.

Edit to add:

What good would taking a name do? Would that somehow prevent the nut job from carrying out some horrendous crime because "The Law" took his name while he was out in the woods?
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 01-13-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast