Thread: Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Just moved to Wisconsin from another state. I'm trying to learn all I can about OC in Wisconsin. I watched a youtube video today feturing a open carry party here in Wisconsin. The man being interviewed was showing how he carry's his gun. He first made sure it was empty, then put a loaded mag in the weapon, and never chambered a round. He says that how he carry"s his gun. Can someone please tell me that, that was his personal choice, and not the law. Why would you carry a gun without a round chambered? kinda useless at that point isnt it? Please tell me that is not the law here in Wisconsin. Anyway, great to be here. Look forward to ocing with the rest of you.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. The gentleman you are referring to has chosen to open carry in Condition 2. That is his personal choice and does not reflect either the law or the choices of other members of the forum. (When I am in WI to visit family and friends, and open carry, I carry in Condition 1.)

Having said that, in Utah one must carry Condition 2 in open carry mode, unless one has a Concealed Firearm Permit.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and I hope you join Wisconsin Carry. www.wisconsincarry.org

To answer your question about chambering a round or not that was his choice. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on "The Totality Of The Circumstances". We have many events for newcomers and us old guys in the upcoming weeks. Watch the forum closely and you will see events posted almost daily. There are several coming up this next weekend I believe. If you are in the Kenosha area we meet twice a month at Lizzy's Green Cafe for dinner on Friday nights from 4 to 10 and once a month in Delavan at Starbucks. Please follow all the laws in Wisconsin for open carry and transporting a firearm (unloaded and encased).

Many here will help you learn about open carry here in Wisconsin. Also, no concealed carry in Wisconsin...yet.

Once again, welcome! I hope your stay is a pleasant one!

McX
    i guess i'll take this one; style of carry is a personal choice. condition 1 is round in the chamber, safety on or off- depending upon who you talk to, and the style of gun they carry. i usually carry condition 3; mag in gun, no round in the chamber. i surmise this is the safest way to carry for a number of reasons; less chance of accidental discharge, and if a threat is detected, i can rack the slide as i draw- one last action, one last warning to my attacker that i am coming online and ready to defend. somewhat a kin of the deterrent effect (of OC also), plus it slows the event down for me to allow me to consider all options before firing, and give my attacker every option to disengage from me. others carry condition 1, and they can cite the reasons for their positions. i understand their reasons why, and respect their reasons why they do what they do, to each his own. select a style that makes you comfortable.
    Last edited by McX; 01-09-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    Select a style that makes you comfortable.
    That says it all, McX. Thanks.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

thanks for all the imput.

I usually carry my 1911 with a round chambered "cocked and locked".
    I say usually because McX has caught me once or twice with an unloaded sidearm.

Welcome to the Board!!!

LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 01-10-2011 at 01:04 AM.
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Welcome. I carry two 1911s in Condition one.

Welcome Para1911.

What area in Wisconsin are you from. If you are looking for someone in your area to talk with are go on an "open carry date" check out the "stickied" thread titled "adopt a first timer". All the folks listed there are more than willing to help you out and IMHO know WI carry laws.

Welcome again.

Carry on/carry always!!
    Last edited by goforlow; 01-10-2011 at 03:31 AM.
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    I usually carry my 1911 with a round chambered "cocked and locked".
    I say usually because McX has caught me once or twice with an unloaded sidearm.

Welcome to the Board!!!

LR Yote
    yes, but i havent caught you long enough to pilfer said firearm heh-heh!

Welcome aboard
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Welcome aboard
    WCI...........Member

Wlecome Para1911, This is a good group of people always willing to share knowledge.
    Hope you enjoy the site

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    What? I thought it was "not enough"?

Maybe TWO 1911s meets your criteria of enough.

ETA - that's right, I almost forgot the reason for this thread... Welcome to the forum!

I'll agree with rcawdor and McX - there are good reasons for carrying in Condition Three. At times I do, because I also appreciate the desire to slow things down a bit and have that extra second to consider what I'm about to do. That being said, there's a time and a place for Condition One carry (with a round in the chamber) - it depends on the environment and those occupying it.
    Last edited by Have Gun - Will Carry; 01-12-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    That says it all, McX. Thanks.
    Agree with this ! Welcome.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Have Gun - Will Carry View Post

ETA - that's right, I almost forgot the reason for this thread... Welcome to the forum!

I'll agree with rcawdor and McX - there are good reasons for carrying in Condition Three. At times I do, because I also appreciate the desire to slow things down a bit and have that extra second to consider what I'm about to do. That being said, there's a time and a place for Condition One carry (with a round in the chamber) - it depends on the environment and those occupying it.
    they're only enough if you give them to me heh-heh. you all know it, you all dream of my Disruptor!

they're only enough if you give them to me heh-heh. you all know it, you all dream of my Disruptor!
    For some men its a sexy woman...and with others its a fast car.
    Just show McX a 1911 and his eyes glaze over.

Every time.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

McX
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm..................1911..........gurgl e, gaggle.
    Last edited by McX; 01-12-2011 at 10:10 AM.

When I carry my Les Baer Custom or Dan Wesson Valor 1911, it's usually condition 2 (for the meet and greets.)

That being said, if the situation requires it, I carry condition one.

I should carry condition 1 all the time because the whole draw and rack thing looks good on paper, but in practice I think it gives too much advantage to the attacker.

Do what works for you.
    Last edited by oak1971; 01-12-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

[QUOTE=Have Gun - Will Carry;1440987]What? I thought it was "not enough"?

What is needed is a 1911 chambered in 7.62x25
    that will pacify him

Welcome friend!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    [QUOTE=oldschool;1441516]

What is needed is a 1911 chambered in 7.62x25
    that will pacify him
    WOOF!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3K1VgJpiNE