• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Para1911

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Just moved to Wisconsin from another state. I'm trying to learn all I can about OC in Wisconsin. I watched a youtube video today feturing a open carry party here in Wisconsin. The man being interviewed was showing how he carry's his gun. He first made sure it was empty, then put a loaded mag in the weapon, and never chambered a round. He says that how he carry"s his gun. Can someone please tell me that, that was his personal choice, and not the law. Why would you carry a gun without a round chambered? kinda useless at that point isnt it? Please tell me that is not the law here in Wisconsin. Anyway, great to be here. Look forward to ocing with the rest of you.

jpm84092

Hi, and welcome to the forum. The gentleman you are referring to has chosen to open carry in Condition 2. That is his personal choice and does not reflect either the law or the choices of other members of the forum. (When I am in WI to visit family and friends, and open carry, I carry in Condition 1.)

Having said that, in Utah one must carry Condition 2 in open carry mode, unless one has a Concealed Firearm Permit.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and I hope you join Wisconsin Carry. www.wisconsincarry.org

To answer your question about chambering a round or not that was his choice. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on "The Totality Of The Circumstances". We have many events for newcomers and us old guys in the upcoming weeks. Watch the forum closely and you will see events posted almost daily. There are several coming up this next weekend I believe. If you are in the Kenosha area we meet twice a month at Lizzy's Green Cafe for dinner on Friday nights from 4 to 10 and once a month in Delavan at Starbucks. Please follow all the laws in Wisconsin for open carry and transporting a firearm (unloaded and encased).

Many here will help you learn about open carry here in Wisconsin. Also, no concealed carry in Wisconsin...yet.

Once again, welcome! I hope your stay is a pleasant one!

M

McX

i guess i'll take this one; style of carry is a personal choice. condition 1 is round in the chamber, safety on or off- depending upon who you talk to, and the style of gun they carry. i usually carry condition 3; mag in gun, no round in the chamber. i surmise this is the safest way to carry for a number of reasons; less chance of accidental discharge, and if a threat is detected, i can rack the slide as i draw- one last action, one last warning to my attacker that i am coming online and ready to defend. somewhat a kin of the deterrent effect (of OC also), plus it slows the event down for me to allow me to consider all options before firing, and give my attacker every option to disengage from me. others carry condition 1, and they can cite the reasons for their positions. i understand their reasons why, and respect their reasons why they do what they do, to each his own. select a style that makes you comfortable.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I usually carry my 1911 with a round chambered "cocked and locked".
I say usually because McX has caught me once or twice with an unloaded sidearm.

Welcome to the Board!!!

LR Yote

Last edited:

goforlow

Welcome Para1911.

What area in Wisconsin are you from. If you are looking for someone in your area to talk with are go on an "open carry date" check out the "stickied" thread titled "adopt a first timer". All the folks listed there are more than willing to help you out and IMHO know WI carry laws.

Welcome again.

Carry on/carry always!!

Last edited:
M

McX

I usually carry my 1911 with a round chambered "cocked and locked".
I say usually because McX has caught me once or twice with an unloaded sidearm.

Welcome to the Board!!!

LR Yote

yes, but i havent caught you long enough to pilfer said firearm heh-heh!

XDFDE45

Welcome aboard
thumbsup.gif

Have Gun - Will Carry

What? I thought it was "not enough"? :lol:

Maybe TWO 1911s meets your criteria of enough.

ETA - that's right, I almost forgot the reason for this thread... Welcome to the forum!

I'll agree with rcawdor and McX - there are good reasons for carrying in Condition Three. At times I do, because I also appreciate the desire to slow things down a bit and have that extra second to consider what I'm about to do. That being said, there's a time and a place for Condition One carry (with a round in the chamber) - it depends on the environment and those occupying it.

Last edited:
M

McX

ETA - that's right, I almost forgot the reason for this thread... Welcome to the forum!

I'll agree with rcawdor and McX - there are good reasons for carrying in Condition Three. At times I do, because I also appreciate the desire to slow things down a bit and have that extra second to consider what I'm about to do. That being said, there's a time and a place for Condition One carry (with a round in the chamber) - it depends on the environment and those occupying it.

they're only enough if you give them to me heh-heh. you all know it, you all dream of my Disruptor!

LR Yote 312

they're only enough if you give them to me heh-heh. you all know it, you all dream of my Disruptor!

For some men its a sexy woman...and with others its a fast car.
Just show McX a 1911 and his eyes glaze over.

Every time. :lol:

LR Yote

M

McX

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm..................1911..........gurgle, gaggle.

Last edited:

oak1971

When I carry my Les Baer Custom or Dan Wesson Valor 1911, it's usually condition 2 (for the meet and greets.)

That being said, if the situation requires it, I carry condition one.

I should carry condition 1 all the time because the whole draw and rack thing looks good on paper, but in practice I think it gives too much advantage to the attacker.

Do what works for you.

Last edited: