Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Winter carry question????

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wausau, WI
    Posts
    11

    Question Winter carry question????

    I'm an oc virgin and new to the forum. In the winter how am I supposed to open carry legally when my winter jacket would cover my firearm??? Especially when my jacket is zipped up in this bitter weather we've been having. I want to oc legally so I would like to have as much info as possible before I feel comfortable. Any advise would be much appreciated and I look forward to meeting some of you at some functions.
    Member:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    NRA

  2. #2
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    You have a few choices.
    1) Shorter jacket
    2) Drop leg or thigh type "Tacticool" rig.
    3) Run a longer gunbelt and wear it over the jacket

    I like to wear my service jackets with a hoodie sweatshirt under it.
    I also have a set of carhartt bibs and will wear my gunbelt over those on the really cold days.

    LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wausau, WI
    Posts
    11

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for the info. For some reason the thigh holster never entered my mind. New holster ordered. It was definitely cheaper than a new jacket.
    Member:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    NRA

  4. #4
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    You have a few choices.
    1) Shorter jacket
    2) Drop leg or thigh type "Tacticool" rig.
    3) Run a longer gunbelt and wear it over the jacket


    LR Yote
    Welcome to the coolest club in town XD40V10.
    This is good advise. I can only imagine the anti's love the fact that winter interfears with oc, I am not about to give them the pleasure.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  5. #5
    Regular Member xd40arff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    133
    I wear a "tacticool" thigh holster. I still much rather prefer my Safariland holster that I wear in summer. Just too easy for it to be concealed by my jacket, so I only wear it in Sweatshirt or warmer conditions.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Gosh I can't wait for concealed carry; and mostly just for this reason. I don't want to have to worry about covering up and freezing my arse off. Once we get constitutional carry here (yes I'm being hopeful) I will probably use a CCW holster with retention most of the time and just not care if it's covered or visible. I can't wait to not care if it's visible!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  7. #7
    Regular Member Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OTP, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    231
    I just conceal ....







    But I'm in Georgia now....







    Sorry couldn't resist!

    Hopefully my brothers and sisters still in Wisconsin will be able to choose how they carry. Soon!

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I can't wait to not care if it's visible!
    +1

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    302
    My philosophy is that the ultimate goal is that there should not be any legal or social distinction between CC or OC, just an acceptance of the right to carry. I carry in a belt holster. When its cold and I'm wearing a big coat, it's covered. When it's warm, it's not.
    I'd feel silly wearing a thigh holster or a gunbelt over my coat, but that is just my vanity, nothing to do with philosophy or practicality.

    Edit: My apologies, I just realized that this is the WI forum and that CC is not currently an option. I DO NOT advocate carrying in an illegal manner.
    Last edited by petrophase; 01-11-2011 at 04:37 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
    My philosophy is that the ultimate goal is that there should not be any legal or social distinction between CC or OC, just an acceptance of the right to carry. I carry in a belt holster. When its cold and I'm wearing a big coat, it's covered. When it's warm, it's not.
    I'd feel silly wearing a thigh holster or a gunbelt over my coat, but that is just my vanity, nothing to do with philosophy or practicality.

    Edit: My apologies, I just realized that this is the WI forum and that CC is not currently an option. I DO NOT advocate carrying in an illegal manner.
    Don't tease Sir - Keep in mind that our brothers and sisters in Wisconsin at this point in time only have open carry as an option available to them. When I lived in WI my only option was open carry (although there is a rumor that my evil twin did occasionally carry concealed - but that was not me). Our friends in Wisconsin live in a "right denied" State when it comes to concealed carry, but they are at least in better shape than their neighbors in Illinois.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Don't tease Sir - Keep in mind that our brothers and sisters in Wisconsin at this point in time only have open carry as an option available to them. When I lived in WI my only option was open carry (although there is a rumor that my evil twin did occasionally carry concealed - but that was not me). Our friends in Wisconsin live in a "right denied" State when it comes to concealed carry, but they are at least in better shape than their neighbors in Illinois.
    I'd take WI any day over my home state of Maryland!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •