• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter carry question????

XD40V10

I'm an oc virgin and new to the forum. In the winter how am I supposed to open carry legally when my winter jacket would cover my firearm??? Especially when my jacket is zipped up in this bitter weather we've been having. I want to oc legally so I would like to have as much info as possible before I feel comfortable. Any advise would be much appreciated and I look forward to meeting some of you at some functions.

LR Yote 312

You have a few choices.
1) Shorter jacket
2) Drop leg or thigh type "Tacticool" rig.
3) Run a longer gunbelt and wear it over the jacket

I like to wear my service jackets with a hoodie sweatshirt under it.
I also have a set of carhartt bibs and will wear my gunbelt over those on the really cold days.

LR Yote

XD40V10

Thanks for the info. For some reason the thigh holster never entered my mind. New holster ordered. It was definitely cheaper than a new jacket. :D

xd40arff

I wear a "tacticool" thigh holster. I still much rather prefer my Safariland holster that I wear in summer. Just too easy for it to be concealed by my jacket, so I only wear it in Sweatshirt or warmer conditions.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Gosh I can't wait for concealed carry; and mostly just for this reason. I don't want to have to worry about covering up and freezing my arse off. Once we get constitutional carry here (yes I'm being hopeful) I will probably use a CCW holster with retention most of the time and just not care if it's covered or visible. I can't wait to not care if it's visible!

Archangel

I just conceal ....

But I'm in Georgia now....

Sorry couldn't resist!

Hopefully my brothers and sisters still in Wisconsin will be able to choose how they carry. Soon!

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
My philosophy is that the ultimate goal is that there should not be any legal or social distinction between CC or OC, just an acceptance of the right to carry. I carry in a belt holster. When its cold and I'm wearing a big coat, it's covered. When it's warm, it's not.
I'd feel silly wearing a thigh holster or a gunbelt over my coat, but that is just my vanity, nothing to do with philosophy or practicality.

Edit: My apologies, I just realized that this is the WI forum and that CC is not currently an option. I DO NOT advocate carrying in an illegal manner.

Last edited:

jpm84092

My philosophy is that the ultimate goal is that there should not be any legal or social distinction between CC or OC, just an acceptance of the right to carry. I carry in a belt holster. When its cold and I'm wearing a big coat, it's covered. When it's warm, it's not.
I'd feel silly wearing a thigh holster or a gunbelt over my coat, but that is just my vanity, nothing to do with philosophy or practicality.

Edit: My apologies, I just realized that this is the WI forum and that CC is not currently an option. I DO NOT advocate carrying in an illegal manner.

Don't tease Sir - Keep in mind that our brothers and sisters in Wisconsin at this point in time only have open carry as an option available to them. When I lived in WI my only option was open carry (although there is a rumor that my evil twin did occasionally carry concealed - but that was not me). Our friends in Wisconsin live in a "right denied" State when it comes to concealed carry, but they are at least in better shape than their neighbors in Illinois.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
Don't tease Sir - Keep in mind that our brothers and sisters in Wisconsin at this point in time only have open carry as an option available to them. When I lived in WI my only option was open carry (although there is a rumor that my evil twin did occasionally carry concealed - but that was not me). Our friends in Wisconsin live in a "right denied" State when it comes to concealed carry, but they are at least in better shape than their neighbors in Illinois.

I'd take WI any day over my home state of Maryland! :)