• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a Purchase Permit under 21 help

sultan62

Ok, let me try this again.

Record them when you go in.

Don't be shy; let them know you're recording them. Have that recorder right out where it will get the best quality audio possible. Then emphasize the following things:

§ 14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee. said:
(a) Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county, unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident, when the sheriff has done all of the following:

(1) Verified, before the issuance of a permit, by a criminal history background investigation that it is not a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The sheriff shall determine the criminal and background history of any applicant by accessing computerized criminal history records as maintained by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, by conducting a national criminal history records check, by conducting a check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and by conducting a criminal history check through the Administrative Office of the Courts.

(2) Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant.

(3) Fully satisfied himself or herself that the applicant desires the possession of the weapon mentioned for (i) the protection of the home, business, person, family or property, (ii) target shooting, (iii) collecting, or (iv) hunting.

(b) If the sheriff is not fully satisfied, the sheriff may, for good cause shown, decline to issue the license or permit and shall provide to the applicant within seven days of the refusal a written statement of the reason(s) for the refusal. An appeal from the refusal shall lie by way of petition to the chief judge of the district court for the district in which the application was filed. The determination by the court, on appeal, shall be upon the facts, the law, and the reasonableness of the sheriff's refusal, and shall be final.

Once you get that, come back and let us know. Things should get easier from that point. That is, of course, assuming they don't decide when they see the recorder that hey, maybe they should just issue the permit.

kcGlock19

Ok, let me try this again.

Record them when you go in.

Don't be shy; let them know you're recording them. Have that recorder right out where it will get the best quality audio possible. Then emphasize the following things:

Once you get that, come back and let us know. Things should get easier from that point. That is, of course, assuming they don't decide when they see the recorder that hey, maybe they should just issue the permit.

I did record it this time. Can Sheriff add to the requirements though? On the county website it says you must be 21. I am scheduling a meeting with the Sheriff tomorrow. The officer I spoke with today is a lieutenant.

sultan62

Post the audio you have. Go to the meeting with the Sheriff tomorrow, and record that too. Ask him what authority he has to impose additional restrictions on who may receive a purchase permit.

kcGlock19

Fetus

In NC if you are between 18 and 21 years of age you can obtain a pistol purchase permit from your Sheriff and buy a handgun privately while remaining completely within the bounds of the law.

That was me. After a run-in with uninformed local law enforcement, my pistol was seized since they were under the assumption that I was carrying illegally. After court Wednesday I was issued a Court Order that once again proved that someone less than 21 years of age could legally be the possessor/rightful owner of a handgun in the state of NC. Reclaimed my pistol from the PD yesterday afternoon.

Here's the permit (I was 19 when issued):

DSCN2120-Photoshopped.jpg
[/IMG]

and here's the Court Order:

scan0001.jpg
[/IMG]

and here's my baby that I just got back!

IMG00408-20110119-1734.jpg
[/IMG]

Out of curiousity
When your gun was seized --did the officers ever make an issue of you being under 21 or was it siezed only because they thought you were carrying illegally ??

calynn

Yeah, that was their big issue - that I was only 20. Said there was no way I could legally possess a handgun. After they called the Sheriff's Department and found out that I had a permit, they shifted away from that to "why were you carrying a concealed weapon..." which I wasn't. They told me I'd have to fight it in court, so I did. :banana:

kcGlock19

Success! I just received an email from the captain I orginally spoke with and he said to call Lieutenant __. They spoke with the AG office and they "had given us guidance on issuing you a permit". And that the Lieutenant will guide me through the process. He did state that the face of the permit will have some changes so i can do what I proposed. Im assuming something about not buying from a federal dealer.

sultan62

Success! I just received an email from the captain I orginally spoke with and he said to call Lieutenant __. They spoke with the AG office and they "had given us guidance on issuing you a permit". And that the Lieutenant will guide me through the process. He did state that the face of the permit will have some changes so i can do what I proposed. Im assuming something about not buying from a federal dealer.

Good deal, congratulations! You may have made it easier for future purchasers as well!

moonie

This is amazing news, now I can have my 20 year old son go get his permit so he can stop "borrowing" that 1911 from me. And yes, he OC's it.

moonie

I just got back from the Guilford Co. Sheriffs office in High Point. The woman that takes the applications took my sons application then noticed he was 20 (she had looked at his license before giving him the application) and pointed out that he had to be 21. I pointed out that he had to be 21 to purchase from an FFL and that the AG had talked to her department about this issue within the last week and explained you have to be 18 to get a purchase permit. She took the application and said it would go through the process. So at least if it is denied we will be able to appeal the decision.

kcGlock19

Well I talked to the officer today about what I needed to do. He said they are having to make a new permit for those under 21. It says something about only buying from a private party. The language was approved and he has sent it to IT to put in the system. He said that can take up to two weeks but he hopes it is sooner then later. Till then he told me to come in and start the background check. So those wanting to get a permit will have to wait a week or so but as soon as he calls me and let's me know the new permit is ready I will let y'all know. I feel like I made a new law or something haha. At least in Guilford county it will be easy for 18-21 yr olds get permits now.

mekender

Well I talked to the officer today about what I needed to do. He said they are having to make a new permit for those under 21. It says something about only buying from a private party. The language was approved and he has sent it to IT to put in the system. He said that can take up to two weeks but he hopes it is sooner then later. Till then he told me to come in and start the background check. So those wanting to get a permit will have to wait a week or so but as soon as he calls me and let's me know the new permit is ready I will let y'all know. I feel like I made a new law or something haha. At least in Guilford county it will be easy for 18-21 yr olds get permits now.

Just remember, they have 30 days under state law from the time of the application to either issue or deny the permit.

moonie

Son got a call saying there would be a delay in getting his permit. Said they haven't gotten the final approval from the head lieutenant yet but would call when it was ready.

So good news.

sultan62

Well it's only been six days since you first turned it in, and they're keeping in touch. It looks like they got the message before, so you'll probably have the PPP soon.

kcGlock19

Son got a call saying there would be a delay in getting his permit. Said they haven't gotten the final approval from the head lieutenant yet but would call when it was ready.

So good news.

Yeah i should hear back on the background check tomorrow. If the officer doesnt contact me by the middle of next week about the new permit paper i will call him and check on the status of it.

aosailor

1st off congrats! looks like all your hard work has paid off. I'm just sorry you had to go through all this crap. I honestly cant see why it takes so long for everybody to get their permits.... here in Iredell county it takes longer for me to fill out the paperwork than it does to wait for my approval of my PPP. seriously the longest I have ever had to wait was 15min. y'all must have some sucky sheriffs or something..... just my opinion

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Many congratulations

One more chip removed from the structure of gun control. Wear it with pride! You have earned the privilege. Now if only the RIGHT were respected by the powers that be..........

moonie

kcGlock19, did you ever hear back on this? My son still hasn't heard on the status of his permit.