• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Agited with Borner's

fire suppressor

Was in Borner's gun store in Gorst looking for a couple extra mags for my XD whole sale sports in Silverdale only had XDM mags. I walked in OC with my XD on my hip and didn't make it half way to the counter before a man behind the counter barked "you cant have that in here!" I looked around not sure who the man was talking to and found him glaring at me. I looked around one more time and asked him what I could not have. The man barked back "you cant wear a gun in a gun store!" Confused I paused for a moment and told the man to lower his voice, talk to me like a adult and told him if that is his stores policy he needs to post it otherwise how would I know. Keeping in mind we are only arpox 12 feet away he yelled back "Its not store policy its the law!" Trying very hard not to raise my voice I replied "you have one on your hip". The man yelled again "That's different I work here!" Feeling like I wasn't capable of saying any constructive to the situation I replied "Fine I guess I'll take my business ells ware".
While I was walking out another man was talking to a older woman who was looking at a handgun. The woman was asking questions about whether I was breaking the law or not by open carrying. The man told her "yes he is" and told her that you must conceal carry in the state "especially if you have a conceal pistil permit" The man then showed her a serpa holster and referred to it as a conceal carry holster. The man then pointed to his own belt to give a example. You could clearly see a serpa holster sticking out of a beat up vest that was about two sizes too small for the man. The vest left about 3/4 of his gun clearly viable and he referred to this as conceal carry

John Hardin

:banghead::banghead: The Stupid! It burns!

I would suggest that you write a polite letter to the owners of the store describing the incident and asking that they educate their clerks as to what the law actually does and does not state, and include references to RCW as appropriate.

jbone

I just can’t understand how those working behind a firearms counter can be so clueless of firearms law. You would think even if a minimum wage sales position the owner or management would want knowledgeable person’s doings it. Or, do they in fact know but have their own bias towards a form of carry, and policy the tells its counter help to misdirect?

sempercarry

This is strange indeed. I have been in there before OCing and had no problems. I was wearing a Colt 1911 in a Kramer mahogony holster.

Squeak

I've had a few words with them on OC. It was not a heated conversation. I had actually bought a holster from them. I just looked at him and the holster and told him I wanted to get my $ back. My intention was to see if they could check the holster and see why it didn't fit properly. Since they were so snotty, I decided to not do business with them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is no extra charge for unsolicited, ignorant opinions - educate them with the facts...politely and formally.....write that letter.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Apparently his brain is two sizes too small as well.

Or simply misinformed - not every one has the benefit of the same knowledge.

Better, I think, to educate them politely than to criticize them. Ask which way is the most productive.

Vitaeus

I never seem to be able to find the time to go into Boerner's and I live in the neighborhood. I keep hearing stories like this one. Apparently they are doing a booming business and don't need to have the open carriers money.

amlevin

I just can’t understand how those working behind a firearms counter can be so clueless of firearms law.

Or simply misinformed - not every one has the benefit of the same knowledge.

Better, I think, to educate them politely than to criticize them. Ask which way is the most productive.

I agree with jbone. One who is selling firearms should be more knowledgeable when it comes to firearms law, especially in this State where they are rather simple and lenient.

My experience in this State, with people like this behind the gun counter, they aren't going to be educated by anyone, especially a Customer.

Like others have said, when I encounter this I make my complaint known to the Owner and if they aren't receptive I just take my money elsewhere. What I find interesting is that my favorite Dealer has been in business for almost 65 years. They could care less about open carry, just keep it in the holster. Maybe thats part of the reason they've been around so long.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree with jbone. One who is selling firearms should be more knowledgeable when it comes to firearms law, especially in this State where they are rather simple and lenient.

My experience in this State, with people like this behind the gun counter, they aren't going to be educated by anyone, especially a Customer.

Like others have said, when I encounter this I make my complaint known to the Owner and if they aren't receptive I just take my money elsewhere. What I find interesting is that my favorite Dealer has been in business for almost 65 years. They could care less about open carry, just keep it in the holster. Maybe thats part of the reason they've been around so long.

I don't disagree - just recommend steps 1 & 2 before #3.

Trigger Dr

Go back in and ask for Mike Blacknall. Mike is a retired POPD Chief and is very aware of oc and it's legallity. Bill Boerner, on the other hand is completely ignorant and highly opinionated on the subject. He once told me that I could be arrested for causing an accident if a cop responding to a call about MWAG had the accident. His rationale...I caused the call to be made. Figure that one out if you can.
I would bet the employee was the tall slender black man. He is a piece of work.

Mainsail

I'll add myself to the list of people who have OCd in there with no drama. I was only ever in there once and wasn't impressed; your experience seems to fit the whole atmosphere in the place. It's worth the drive and the toll to just go to Mary's Pistols in Tacoma.

Lovenox

I just can’t understand how those working behind a firearms counter can be so clueless of firearms law. You would think even if a minimum wage sales position the owner or management would want knowledgeable person’s doings it. Or, do they in fact know but have their own bias towards a form of carry, and policy the tells its counter help to misdirect?

+10 It sounds so stupid I am almost going to accuse the original author of making it up.

fire suppressor

A friend of mine open carried in there a few months ago and had no problem I guess it just all depends on who is working that day. It just irritates me I thought we were all suppose to be on the same team

amlevin

Go back in and ask for Mike Blacknall. Mike is a retired POPD Chief and is very aware of oc and it's legallity. Bill Boerner, on the other hand is completely ignorant and highly opinionated on the subject. He once told me that I could be arrested for causing an accident if a cop responding to a call about MWAG had the accident. His rationale...I caused the call to be made. Figure that one out if you can.
I would bet the employee was the tall slender black man. He is a piece of work.

If the owner is ignorant, what would you expect of his employees?

KBCraig

I just can’t understand how those working behind a firearms counter can be so clueless of firearms law.
Working in a gun shop seems to attract a certain kind of employee, one who is eager to feel "special" and like an "expert". These people tend to be insecure, and overcompensate by blustering.

I don't know what it is about gun shops that attract such people, but I've seen it over and over.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I have OCed in Borner's before as well. There are 2 specific employees that I can think of that without a doubt know and don't care. One is a heavyset white guy that has a glock on his hip, the other is a tall guy who's always wearing Multicam pants who wears his gun (no idea of the model). Both of these guys have referenced my gun when others were shopping to mention some differences in mainly polymer guns. It's weird that anyone there would have a problem, though I have seen 1 of the guys, a heavier set older guy, who was arguing the law with a customer multiple times and was wrong both times.