• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Dies In Apparent Home Invasion

ozzy0028

http://www.wlwt.com/news/26416075/detail.html

INDEPENDENCE, Ky. -- One man was shot and killed after a suspected home invasion in Independence.

Officers were called to a home on Sylvan Drive at about midnight Sunday.

When they arrived, they found both the homeowner and another man with gunshot wounds.

The homeowner was taken to a local hospital by ambulance. Witnesses said he was shot in his leg and should be OK.

The other man died at the scene, police said. His name was not immediately released but police said he was 45 years old.

Detective said the homeowners were in bed when the 45-year-old man assaulted them with a chair.

Officers said the homeowner reached for a gun and fired eight shots.

Police said the intruder was struck five times.

Detectives said the intruder lives close to the home and had a bad reputation among neighbors. Officers said he had a criminal record.

Nearby residents said the homeowner is the ideal neighbor and has always been quick to help or defend people.

"(When) I had back surgery, (the homeowner would) come up here and shovel my driveway. He'll do anything for you ... super nice guy," neighbor Bruce Reams said. "I wish him the best ... they're in my thoughts and prayers."

Independence police officers said the home invasion remains under investigation.

zack991

I am just waiting for the family of the scum bag to come out and say my baby didn't do nothing.

SFCRetired

Just as a SWAG, he was being attacked with a chair, fired either in haste or as a result of poor trigger discipline, and shot himself in the leg. Since the story made no mention of the deceased having a firearm, that is my best guess.

eye95

Just as a SWAG, he was being attacked with a chair, fired either in haste or as a result of poor trigger discipline, and shot himself in the leg. Since the story made no mention of the deceased having a firearm, that is my best guess.

No doubt. That was my conclusion too. I just wonder why the story did not mention that the gunshot wound to the homeowner was self-inflicted. I kept trying to find where the BG shot the homeowner. Sloppy reporting.

zack991

No doubt. That was my conclusion too. I just wonder why the story did not mention that the gunshot wound to the homeowner was self-inflicted. I kept trying to find where the BG shot the homeowner. Sloppy reporting.

yea that was bugging me too.

OldCurlyWolf

I agree about the reporting.

I do not recall if KY has a Castle Law. If they do this shouldn't go any farther than the homeowner getting healed up.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Was the chair loaded? :confused:

lol!!

"Treat every chair as if it was loaded."

"Never point a chair at something you are not willing to destroy."

"Never put your finger between the slats of the chair until ready to fire."

"Always be sure of your chair's back. And the legs, too."

That was good, Eye. That one belongs over on the OC humor page. Obviously OC is the only way a chair can be carried. No way anybody can get a Concealed Chair License.

Last edited: