• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccw badge

koja1962

just a thought, with all the problems i read about with ocer's being harassed by leos in other states im going out on a limb to say when not if we get to o.c. in fla. would having a ccw badge be a bad thing or to much like impersonating a leo? i think the only way you can get one is to have a cc license. and it might deture the sheep from calling out s.w.a.t. when your out with your family in your everyday life.

wrightme

Bad idea.

Such items are available for purchase, without restriction as far as I know.

Did I mention that it is a bad idea? The only rational argument I can think of for such an item is that due to its shape and design, it is likely to be mistaken from a distance as either an LE insignia, or a security guard insignia. I see neither of those impressions to be legally helpful, though they may be effective as to the intended purpose.

And this is a topic that has been discussed at length. Multiple times.

Last edited:

Mechman

A response to having a CCW badge...

IMO the best 'badge' we can have is our demeanor and how we generally carry ourselves in public. If we just go about doing our business...there should be NO problem. I have been both OC/CC for two years now. I feel absolutely comfortable with it now.

I believe that many who are new to carrying do go through an 'adjustment' period themselves. You do need to adjust your mindset. I remember how I felt. I was quite self-conscious when I started...but I determined to just enter establishments in such a way that showed I was there to take care of business and that was it! Eventually I become much more comfortable. I have only had a handful of times where anyone even bothered to comment on my carrying a firearm...and most of those were simple inquires about what the law said concerning open carry, etc.

In conclusion, if you are new to either OC or CC just relax and be yourself! Certainly it helps to be civil and courteous to folks. No need to respond to folks who might ask about your carrying of a weapon with any gruffness or rudeness. That does our cause no good for sure. Of course we will all have different experiences out there...so you have to use your own judgement as to whether or not you want to follow up on a person's questions. Obviously, you can quickly get a sense as to whether or not their inquiry is genuine or if they are just trying to argue with you.

I totally agree with the previous comment about wanting folks to see folks bearing arms as nothing to be alarmed about. This really is our ultimate goal.

Thank you all for allowing me to throw in my two cents worth! I always learn something when I come on to this forum...thanks for your contributions to the discussion!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We wish to offer the image of responsible people going through their normal eveyr day lives.

Confusing people into thinking that we are or might be LEOs is contrary to our purposes.

Not a good idea.

koja1962

but to all that answerd, thanks for the thoughts.will def. be a big "NO" in that decision on a badge.

JeepSeller

again i haven't bought one ,was just asking. i thought thats what a forum was for!!!

Don't take it personally koja1962. Those badges are just one of the many subjects that stirs some pretty strong emotions by some. It seems the bulk of the gun owning community feel those badges are just a scam to separate you from your money. Apparently, the majority agree that, while the concept could be in good faith, it's just too easy to be abused, even if unintentionally.

Anything that resembles a LEO badge can get you in hot water, regardless of how you're using it and your intent.

The drawbacks just seem to outweigh any advantages there might be.

Look around any gun forum. You'll see it's a subject that pops up seemingly every couple months. And, even though the majority agree they're a bad idea, there's just enough support out there that the thread almost always ends up turning into one of those "yes you are/no I'm not" deals that, after awhile, just seems to get under folks' skin and tear apart good forums.

The animosity you're sensing in the responses to your question stem from what's most likely frustration with the very concept and nothing reflecting upon you. It was an honest question. You got some honest answers. LOL

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
again i haven't bought one ,was just asking. i thought thats what a forum was for!!!

Don't take it personally koja1962. Those badges are just one of the many subjects that stirs some pretty strong emotions by some. It seems the bulk of the gun owning community feel those badges are just a scam to separate you from your money. Apparently, the majority agree that, while the concept could be in good faith, it's just too easy to be abused, even if unintentionally.

Anything that resembles a LEO badge can get you in hot water, regardless of how you're using it and your intent.

Look around any gun forum. You'll see it's a subject that pops up seemingly every couple months. And, even though the majority agree they're a bad idea, there's just enough support out there that the thread almost always ends up turning into one of those "yes you are/no I'm not" deals that, after awhile, just seems to get under folks' skin and tear apart good forums.

The animosity you're sensing in the responses to your question stem from what's most likely frustration with the very concept and nothing reflecting upon you. It was an honest question. You got some honest answers. LOL

+1 No personal animosity was intended.

brboyer

I agree with everything but this.
It is absolutely not illegal to wear/display a CCW badge in Florida.

I can understand the uninitiated's desire to prevent panic by the general public (and the possible resultant 'contact' by LEO) by keeping some form of official looking badge on your belt next to you firearm. But it just screams Wanna-Be.

I have no control of people's emotions/reactions and therefore make no effort to address them.

I also do not fear contact from LEO when Open Carry is passed. I'm actually looking forward to the opportunity to educate them on the law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Note that in some states, under certain conditions, that the carrying/display of a badge may well be illegal.

Generally not illegal to own, but the display/wearing may be restricted by state law, particularly if the state seal is utilized.

Bottom line: Know the law in your state or any state in which you travel.

Still do not like them - they communicate by suggestion, something that is not fact. ymmv

Rich7553

Okay, here's a "what do you think" on the subject. First, I don't believe in badges being worn by anyone not in an official capacity. However, it is reasonable to assume that should the open carry bill pass and become law, there will be quite a few MWAG calls for a while until the word gets out and people get used to it. There should be some way to display to the "sheeple" that one is licensed.

So, considering that one would need to have a CWFL to open carry, would it be desireable to have a state-issued card similar to the CWFL that could be carried either on one's holster or on the belt adjacent to the holster with the carrier's photo and name or something like that? I don't advocate carrying one's CWFL anywhere near their weapon since reaching for the CWFL in the presence of a LEO could result in a very undesireable response.

Do you think the sheeple, seeing an ID card (for lack of a better term) adjacent or on a holstered weapon would ease their consternation and help cut down on unnecessary MWAG calls?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAw#

SGB

Do you think the sheeple, seeing an ID card (for lack of a better term) adjacent or on a holstered weapon would ease their consternation and help cut down on unnecessary MWAG calls?

5UKEJ7S8BpyjhTfKE6oOqR2ucfyT_ENPA5ljqeNPeapBkCgfUa6OTahvnYtPJP6zI2Zv2ue3MdPMNFdrcaKGXbE_iEcmxC6FIx8T1WcamisfdHTCTGPIXenze92vQ1oJEVJ0dtUmzQ

About 50/50

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why should a legal citizen, exercising a legal right need to or want to wear a scarlet letter or Star of David? Either way it is counter productive. Avoid conversation or being embarrassed? Actually IMHO such "accessories" only draw more attention to yourself and indicate a discomfort level inconsistent with "normal and usual" practice.

I see such meetings as opportunities to inform and educate and when the day comes where OC is understood and accepted there, as it has generally been in Virginia, you will see that it was well worth the effort. The vast preponderance of our daily OC is without any problems.