• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Congressman Heath Shuler to Carry for his own safety...

Dreamer

http://www.witn.com/crime/headlines/NC_Congressman_To_Carry_Gun_After_Giffords_Attack_113203754.html

A North Carolina congressman says he'll carry a gun when he attends public events in his district's mountain communities after last weekend's assassination attempt on one of his colleagues.
The sad thing is that Rep. Shuler can't carry when he's in DC representing his constituents, and must rely on the Capitol Police for his safety. Apparently the DC government doesn't even trust our Federally elected officials to carry in the Nation's Capitol.

Last edited:

RogueWarrior

Uber_Olafsun

paramedic70002

Maybe he will feel less safe in DC and feel like us normal people do.

Nah, DHS will start a new Federal LE Agency called the Semi-Secret Service (SSS) that will be in charge of the protection of all members of Congress in and out of DC. With 535 (?) members of Congress, requiring a team of, lets say, 4 bodies on duty at all time, that will be 3 shifts X 4 bodies = 12 X 535 = 6420 Agents. These agents will of course require a sizable support staff and transportation to and from the members' home districts. It won't take long at all to build a whole new expensive layer of government.

All so members of Congress will be protected from the rare wacko and to prevent individual Congressmen and women from demonstrating personal responsibility by carrying a self defense firearm.

beebobby

Likely they will try and pass some legislation that will prevent carrying firearms within a 1000 feet of politicians.

4armed Architect

Likely they will try and pass some legislation that will prevent carrying firearms within a 1000 feet of politicians.

(sarcasm on)
D'oh! How obvious. Why didn't I think of that? Just make it illegal to have a firearm within 1000' of politicians and the bad guys will have to be really good shots (to be able to hit their targets from 333 yards) to be able to ILLEGALLY shoot them. Since we know the 1000' restriction will keep them away AND bad guys are usually really bad shots, it'll be hard to hit the target. The bad guys might only succeed in accidentally hitting the less important targets around the pols. Why this 1000' thing just might work.

(sarcasm off)

since9

Campaign Veteran
I live less than 1000' from my Congressman's office. What the hell am I supposed to do about open carrying between the front door of my apartment and my vehicle?

I think I'm going to visit my Congressman tomorrow, and let him know what I think of King's 1000' idea. As my Congressman is fairly conservative, I think he'll agree that the best approach would be to stick 1000 feet up King's...

:lol:

Last edited: