• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New federal gun control bill to be introduced as soon as today- extended mags

detroit_fan

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html

snip

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday targeting the high-capacity ammunition clip the gunman used.

snip

I'm REALLY glad the repubs took the house, hopefully that will stop the knee-jerk bill from getting anywhere.

Last edited:

Super Trucker

What a bunch of crap.
Lets see, if an active shooter were forced to carry 5: 10 round mags as opposed to 2 extended mags, then end result would be that it takes a few seconds longer for trouble to happen.

My congress critter is a useless waste of oxygen but the antique Mr Conyers just got an e-mail about this from me.

PDinDetroit

My fervent hope is that knee-jerk reactions such as these will go nowhere, whereas reasonable people will recognize the need for providing for their own self-defense and do so.

MKEgal

PDinDetroit said:
...whereas reasonable people will recognize the need for providing for their own self-defense and do so.
How often have you known someone who is anti-gun to change their mind (short of being attacked or stalked herself), or even to be reasonable about the subject?

To take into account the facts as proven by research, or even statistics provided by the FBI? I can see them discounting some of the foremost research, but how can they get around denying stats compiled by the gov't?

No, if it weren't so clear the guy is half loopy to begin with, I'd almost suspect this was a stunt done by a rabid anti-gunner all hoping to stir up anti-gun sentiment (kind of like the rabid anti-abortionist who hated killing so much he murdered an OB/GYN).

And I don't mean loopy as in out of touch with reality, didn't know what he was doing, should spend the rest of his life in a locked psych ward. If he were out of touch with reality, he'd've attacked whoever he saw first.

I mean loopy as in not playing well with others, not acknowledging the rules the rest of us agree to live together under. (Such as, you don't shoot someone you disagree with.) Psychopath. I think he knew exactly what he was doing. He left notes, he planned this, he took a cab, he targeted Gabby. He's also not said a word to police. So he's not nuts enough to go off on a rant; he's together enough to remember his right to remain silent.

Which brings me to another beef - the Sherriff who tells media the guy "isn't cooperating". BS. He's cooperating to the fullest extent required by law. Which is to say, he requested a lawyer & shut up. The Sherriff either doesn't know the law (doubtful, for someone running the agency) or doesn't like it (possible).

Freedom First

Take a few minutes...

Call your Reps in DC and at the state level and remind them of your support for the Second Amendment and where your State's Constitution supports the Right to keep and bear arms. Then email them the same.

If you vote (and they do check to see if you do when you communicate!), they will notice if sufficient numbers show up. It may be enough to push a "moderate" one way or the other. The true "Anti" will be unswayed but we must play our part in the system while the option still exists. When they close the door on us I refer you to the Declaration of Independence describing the offenses of the Tyrant, "...For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments..."

We must remain in the system while our States remain within the system and work, however frustrating it may be, from there until the Constitution is completely dead.

PDinDetroit

How often have you known someone who is anti-gun to change their mind (short of being attacked or stalked herself), or even to be reasonable about the subject?

Yes.

One is now pursing their CPL and we have discussed multiple different options for carry. I never thought I would be discussing such with this person, as this person was completely against guns and has done a complete 180 due to our conversations over a 1 year time period.

The other is someone active in politics and very, very liberal. The person was a rabid Bush Hater, totally against firearms, and what I would consider to be a communist in beliefs. Over a 1 year time period, this person now will discuss firearm-related info with me and has admitted that new laws probably will not work since "criminals will not follow them" and they only effect law-abiding persons. Although I am not sure this person will ever own a firearm, they are now not against law-abiding persons having them (which is a 180 from where it was).

Just think, I did not own or carry a pistol until October 2008 and only had hunting firearms previously to that for about 10 years. I was not attacked in any way, shape, or form and just decided that I needed to provide for my own self-protection. Now, I get right "into the thick of it" with Firearm Rights Activities within my sphere of influence.

Who knows how a person may change over time???

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ms McCarthy has been waiting for her opportunity... I guess she feels now is her chance. She actually got into politics to impose gun control after her husband was killed by Colin Ferguson on the Long Island Railroad. Her whole political career is focussed on gun control.
I hope her attempt to further control the right of citizens to be able to protect themselves goes nowhere.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Think 1st, buy cautiously.

Yes, but I will still order some more, just in case.

Okay - let us think here for a minute guys. If we all start buying theses...the price will sky rocket....just as it did when people started buying pallets of ammo after Obama got elected....just saying, let's not give the price gougers out there any more of our money if possible....as they are scum in my book.

detroit_fan

Another article talking about the challenges a new bill may face-

snip

On Capitol Hill, gun rights advocates hold key positions. The NRA last year gave its highest-possible "A-plus" legislative rating to Rep. Lamar Smith, the Texas Republican who is now the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. Monday, Smith hinted at his skepticism about additional gun control measures.

"It is disappointing that some lawmakers and special interest groups are using this weekend's shooting as a vehicle to push for their own personal political agendas," Smith said

snip

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/10/2009650/arizona-shootings-unlikely-to.html#ixzz1AgyLDpFr

ken243

Okay - let us think here for a minute guys. If we all start buying theses...the price will sky rocket....just as it did when people started buying pallets of ammo after Obama got elected....just saying, let's not give the price gougers out there any more of our money if possible....as they are scum in my book.

+1

Have not bought ANYTHING from any of the price gougers since the sky rocketing ammo prices. (Cabela's, Gander, many many gun shops) The same as passing anti 2A laws in my mind. Just 8 years ago I remember buying 9mm UMC for $4 a box. These people try and capitalize on fear. Just the same as gas stations did on September 12, 2001. Yet, I don't see these retailers being fined hundreds of thousands of dollars.

autosurgeon

I hate to burst your bubble guys but the retailers for the most part did not set the ammo prices... that would be the wholesalers. I know BC I buy from them and they were only about 1.00 to 2.00 less than what the ammo was going for in the store...

NHCGRPR45

My fervent hope is that knee-jerk reactions such as these will go nowhere, whereas reasonable people will recognize the need for providing for their own self-defense and do so.

Well the anti's love this kind of news story, and will always try to capitalize on this kind of tragedy. It's what they do, and they are good at it. We, as rationale human beings who understand that bad things happen often when least expected is a terrible fact of life. We, also as rationale human beings prepare to deal with bad things as best we can. We plan, we train and we hope we never have to use the things we know, but we also know we might. We for the most part don't force this down others throats, we don't capitalize on others pain. We do however have to make certain we also don't get punished for anothers stupidity.

We need to work more on the last part, but the saying "cooler heads prevail" is still a good one. When something like this happens everyone one needs to step back, get some perspective and then do what needs doing. If anything.

This "bill" is a sad publicity stunt, and has almost no chance of passing. We as rational people know this, recognise the sad attempt and go about our business.

But like I said people will "do" anything to forward there own agenda.

Nuff said.

sprinklerguy28

John from OCDO is suppose to be on CNN's The Situation Room tonight discussing ban on large capacity magazines. It starts at 5pm. Not sure what time his segment will be.