Thread: First open carry experience!

First open carry experience!

hi everyone!

I've been a long-time reader of this forum but never joined - mainly because I haven't open carried before. Anyway, today I went to a teriyaki place where I'm a regular (so it felt more comfortable than a jaunt elsewhere) to open carry for the first time. It was really empowering! There were only a few people in the restaurant and i overheard a couple of diners talking - one was admiring my (new) gun, My S&W M&P9c, and another said to his friend, "good for him!"
    Do most of you tend to get positive reactions or negative ones?

Banned
    Welcome. Carry on.

I get mostly positive reactions.

To others who are lurking: You don't have to OC to join. We discuss OC here; we don't require it. Whether or not you have OCed, your rational opinions on the subject are valuable.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by emtechnik View Post
    hi everyone!

I've been a long-time reader of this forum but never joined - mainly because I haven't open carried before. Anyway, today I went to a teriyaki place where I'm a regular (so it felt more comfortable than a jaunt elsewhere) to open carry for the first time. It was really empowering! There were only a few people in the restaurant and i overheard a couple of diners talking - one was admiring my (new) gun, My S&W M&P9c, and another said to his friend, "good for him!"
    Do most of you tend to get positive reactions or negative ones?
    Welcome!

I've never had a negative reaction, at least to the gun. I've had an absolute idiot scream at me because of my bumper sticker (It is your duty as an American to own a gun and know how to use it), but never a negative reaction to the gun.

I haven't OC'd much at this point, but the few times I have, I didn't have any negative encounters. A couple looks but that was about it.

Welcome to OCDO!

Reactions are usually more nonchalant. Only once have I been asked to not carry and was allowed to wait for my order to be filled before I left. Haven't been back since. No big loss. Other times, it's "Are you a COP, PI, UC, Military?" type questions.

When I say no and inform them that I'm just a regular guy and go bck to my shopping, eating, or whatever else, they usually just say "Oh, Ok" and that's the end of it.

Always be aware of your surroundings. You should, in my opinion, already know who is going to confront you before they open their mouths. They generally have been thinking about talking to you well before they actually do.

Stay Safe and Carry On.

Rich

Welcome

I'm in WA, and have had no "bad" encounters. Don't stress doing something that is legal, just do it! Join our coffee get togethers, and join with like minded individuals who care about our rights. Look at the facts, state/counties/countries that support gun rights have the lowest violent records.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com