• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First open carry experience!

emtechnik

hi everyone!

I've been a long-time reader of this forum but never joined - mainly because I haven't open carried before. Anyway, today I went to a teriyaki place where I'm a regular (so it felt more comfortable than a jaunt elsewhere) to open carry for the first time. It was really empowering! There were only a few people in the restaurant and i overheard a couple of diners talking - one was admiring my (new) gun, My S&W M&P9c, and another said to his friend, "good for him!" :p
Do most of you tend to get positive reactions or negative ones?

eye95

Welcome. Carry on.

I get mostly positive reactions.

To others who are lurking: You don't have to OC to join. We discuss OC here; we don't require it. Whether or not you have OCed, your rational opinions on the subject are valuable.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
hi everyone!

I've been a long-time reader of this forum but never joined - mainly because I haven't open carried before. Anyway, today I went to a teriyaki place where I'm a regular (so it felt more comfortable than a jaunt elsewhere) to open carry for the first time. It was really empowering! There were only a few people in the restaurant and i overheard a couple of diners talking - one was admiring my (new) gun, My S&W M&P9c, and another said to his friend, "good for him!" :p
Do most of you tend to get positive reactions or negative ones?

Welcome!

I've never had a negative reaction, at least to the gun. I've had an absolute idiot scream at me because of my bumper sticker (It is your duty as an American to own a gun and know how to use it), but never a negative reaction to the gun.

jlamb

I haven't OC'd much at this point, but the few times I have, I didn't have any negative encounters. A couple looks but that was about it.

rmansu2

Welcome to OCDO!

Reactions are usually more nonchalant. Only once have I been asked to not carry and was allowed to wait for my order to be filled before I left. Haven't been back since. No big loss. Other times, it's "Are you a COP, PI, UC, Military?" type questions.

When I say no and inform them that I'm just a regular guy and go bck to my shopping, eating, or whatever else, they usually just say "Oh, Ok" and that's the end of it.

Always be aware of your surroundings. You should, in my opinion, already know who is going to confront you before they open their mouths. They generally have been thinking about talking to you well before they actually do.

Stay Safe and Carry On.

Rich

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Welcome

I'm in WA, and have had no "bad" encounters. Don't stress doing something that is legal, just do it! Join our coffee get togethers, and join with like minded individuals who care about our rights. Look at the facts, state/counties/countries that support gun rights have the lowest violent records.