• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A tale of two Counties (Henrico and Surry)

Repeater

Compare what happened today to Aaron B. Tobey to what happened to skidmark earlier this month:

Charge against airport protester dropped

A disorderly conduct charge against a young Charlottesville man who stripped to show wording from the 4th Amendment on his chest in protest of airport security procedures was dropped today in Henrico General District Court.

The charge was not prosecuted at the request of Commonwealth's Attorney Wade Kizer and Aaron B. Tobey's lawyer, Steven D. Benjamin, who appeared before Judge Archer L. Yeatts III.

Kizer said outside the courtroom that he did not believe Tobey's behavior rose to that required to be in violation of the disorderly conduct law. "He was looking for attention and he got it," said Kizer.

Benjamin said, "He simply wanted to make a statement, which is his right," While "American citizens have to submit to airport security measures," said Benjamin, "we're still American citizens and we still have the right to protest."

Observations:

• Henrico County's Commonwealth's Attorney himself was involved, appearing in court on a misdemeanor charge, instead of allowing a subordinate to handle this.
  • Kizer himself asked the court to dismiss (nol pros) the case because the conduct for which Tobey was arrested did not rise to the level "required to be in violation of the disorderly conduct law."
  • The Surry County prosecutor (Poindexter) could have come to court and done the same thing himself - but did not.
  • Justice was served today in Henrico; justice still waits in Surry.
As an aside, I wonder if Tobey has grounds for a lawsuit?

67GT390FB

Compare what happened today to Aaron B. Tobey to what happened to skidmark earlier this month:

Charge against airport protester dropped

Observations:

• Henrico County's Commonwealth's Attorney himself was involved, appearing in court on a misdemeanor charge, instead of allowing a subordinate to handle this.
  • Kizer himself asked the court to dismiss (nol pros) the case because the conduct for which Tobey was arrested did not rise to the level "required to be in violation of the disorderly conduct law."
  • The Surry County prosecutor (Poindexter) could have come to court and done the same thing himself - but did not.
  • Justice was served today in Henrico; justice still waits in Surry.

yes and defense attorney Benjamin is the other attorney i'd call after Magic Mike if i was actually guilty of something or truly in fear of going to jail. Benjamin defended the cooky lady that put her child over the fence at maymont to take a picture of him w/ the bears that ended in destruction of said bears after her precious was scratched, but it was maymonts fault for only having two fences between the idiots and the average bear.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Henrico - we want to do the right thing and be up front about it.

Surry - we will do it our way, like we always have, our deals are made behind closed doors.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Henrico - we want to do the right thing and be up front about it.

Surry - we will do it our way, like we always have, our deals are made behind closed doors.

I wouldn't hold Henrico up as a poster child just yet. While they are light years ahead of Surry, they could fertilize a small country with the skeletons in their closet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wouldn't hold Henrico up as a poster child just yet. While they are light years ahead of Surry, they could fertilize a small country with the skeletons in their closet.

True enough, Peter, but like the light on your boat, Henrico can see where they have been. Surry, on the other hand, does not have a clue where they are going.

Can you see the difference? :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
True enough, Peter, but like the light on your boat, Henrico can see where they have been. Surry, on the other hand, does not have a clue where they are going.

That's a cannon, not a light:lol:
Oops..wrong end.....

Yes I see the difference.:D

bgsl-1.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That's a cannon, not a light:lol:
But yep, I see the difference.:D

bgsl-1.jpg

Wrong end, Peter. Look at tother one. VDOT and Surry can tell where they have been, but can't see where the are going. A lighted stern section doesn't help much even in the Johnny House. :uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wrong end, Peter. Look at tother one. VDOT and Surry can tell where they have been, but can't see where the are going. A lighted stern section doesn't help much even in the Johnny House. :uhoh:

I caught that right after I stuck my foot in my mouth Grape:D

VAlitigator

Malicious prosecution is a valid ground for a lawsuit, but they are not favored by the Virginia courts. The elements are:
1. former prosecution was initiated or started by the defendant.
2. former prosecution was without probable cause.
3. former prosecution was terminated in plaintiff's favor.
4. former prosecution was malicious (may be established by showing the original prosecution was motivated by ill will, malevolence, grudge, spite, wicked intention, or conscious disregard for rights). So, it's not enough to show the cops were bone-headed; you gotta show they were out to get you.

His lawsuit would be against the police officers. Prosecutors have absolute liability, so they would not be the defendant (besides, in general district court cases, they bring before the court the charges the cops brought, and the CA did the right thing by dropping the charge).

In this case, he would be better off first getting the charge expunged from his record before considering a civil lawsuit (he has 2 years to bring a civil lawsuit).
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Repeater

New bill would make expungement more difficult; 'Contempt of Cop' Part 2?

Malicious prosecution is a valid ground for a lawsuit, but they are not favored by the Virginia courts. The elements are:
1. former prosecution was initiated or started by the defendant.
2. former prosecution was without probable cause.
3. former prosecution was terminated in plaintiff's favor.
4. former prosecution was malicious (may be established by showing the original prosecution was motivated by ill will, malevolence, grudge, spite, wicked intention, or conscious disregard for rights). So, it's not enough to show the cops were bone-headed; you gotta show they were out to get you.

His lawsuit would be against the police officers. Prosecutors have absolute liability, so they would not be the defendant (besides, in general district court cases, they bring before the court the charges the cops brought, and the CA did the right thing by dropping the charge).

In this case, he would be better off first getting the charge expunged from his record before considering a civil lawsuit (he has 2 years to bring a civil lawsuit).
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

As always here, you provide sage advice. Your suggestion for expungement is a good one. Current law is also pretty good.

That could change.

Delegate Todd Gilbert has introduced the ironically designated HB 1776, that's right: 1776):

Expungement of police and court records.

Provides that dismissed charges may not be expunged if the court found the evidence sufficient to find the person guilty, and that charges that result in a conviction for a lesser included offense or that are subject to amendment or substitution by charge or indictment resulting in a conviction may not be altered or expunged.

Thus, if a person is arrested and the case is dismissed (a nolle prosequi), the prosecutor could still cause problems for the petitioner by insisting to the court the person could still have been found guilty.

How many Virginia gun owners are subjected to what is known as Contempt of Cop arrests? It would appear that fighting such false charges, and then attempting to restore one's reputation, would be more difficult if this bill were to become law.

VAlitigator

As always here, you provide sage advice. Your suggestion for expungement is a good one. Current law is also pretty good.

That could change.

Delegate Todd Gilbert has introduced the ironically designated HB 1776, that's right: 1776):

Thus, if a person is arrested and the case is dismissed (a nolle prosequi), the prosecutor could still cause problems for the petitioner by insisting to the court the person could still have been found guilty.

How many Virginia gun owners are subjected to what is known as Contempt of Cop arrests? It would appear that fighting such false charges, and then attempting to restore one's reputation, would be more difficult if this bill were to become law.

I would bet the bill is designed to stop expungements in situations as follows (and insert any "pound of flesh" in place of community service):

1. Accused and prosecutor agree that the accused will do community service or something else to get charge dismissed.
2. Prosecutor allows accused to defer plea and entry of findings but requires accused to stipulate that there are facts sufficient to convict him (so if he doesn't do the service, prosecutor doesn't have to prove up the case).
3. Court agrees.
4. Accused does the community service.
5. At next hearing, prosecutor and accused agree that accused has done the community service; judge dismisses charges.

So, the charge is dropped, no plea was entered, the court entered no findings re guilt/innocense, BUT accused agreed on the record there were facts sufficient to convict him.

Not saying I agree with the bill at all. But I could see how prosecutors could want it.

Repeater

I would bet the bill is designed to stop expungements in situations as follows (and insert any "pound of flesh" in place of community service):

1. Accused and prosecutor agree that the accused will do community service or something else to get charge dismissed.
2. Prosecutor allows accused to defer plea and entry of findings but requires accused to stipulate that there are facts sufficient to convict him (so if he doesn't do the service, prosecutor doesn't have to prove up the case).
3. Court agrees.
4. Accused does the community service.
5. At next hearing, prosecutor and accused agree that accused has done the community service; judge dismisses charges.

So, the charge is dropped, no plea was entered, the court entered no findings re guilt/innocense, BUT accused agreed on the record there were facts sufficient to convict him.

Not saying I agree with the bill at all. But I could see how prosecutors could want it.

Very nice analysis; however, I believe Virginia case law already handles "deferred" situations. My main concern would be the potential for abuse and misuse to deny justice for petitioners.