• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westboro to protest 9-year-old's funeral

gprod55

Got-er-done Arizona

As I looked thru some of the print outs it looks like ya'll have angel wings and bikers already signed up to run interference as well as legislative action to keep them 300 feet away. Good on ya Arizona. Keep it legal.

AZkopper

Honestly, local law enforcement should arrest them on charges of Disorderly Conduct. This section is not 'dead' in AZ, and is used regularly. Especially since their intent is to disrupt a private funeral.

ARS 13-2904. Disorderly conduct; classification

A. A person commits disorderly conduct if, with intent to disturb the peace or quiet of a neighborhood, family or person, or with knowledge of doing so, such person:

1. Engages in fighting, violent or seriously disruptive behavior; or

2. Makes unreasonable noise; or

3. UESES ABUSIVE OR OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE OR GESTURES TO ANY PERSON PRESENT IN A MANNER LIKELY TO PROVOKE IMMEDIATE PHYSICAL RETALIATION BY SUCH PERSON; or

4. MAKES ANY PROTRACTED COMMOTION, UTTERANCE, OR DISPLAY WITH THE INTENT TO PREVENT THE TRANSACTION OF THE BUSINESS OF A LAWFUL MEETING, GATHERING, OR PROCESSION; or

5. Refuses to obey a lawful order to disperse issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, a hazard or any other emergency; or

6. Recklessly handles, displays or discharges a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

mahkagari

I would like to OC and attend but I have no experience with these idiots and I'd rather not get assaulted by one of them and have to do something I'd rather not do. Probably best to stay home. Is anyone else planning on going?

Most of their "church" are lawyers. They keep their distance and yell the most inflamatory garbage they can to incite people. Then they sue the jurisdiction for being "hostile" to them. That's how they fund their cause. I've seen them cancel plans when significant counterprotests are planned.

Gunslinger

Honestly, local law enforcement should arrest them on charges of Disorderly Conduct. This section is not 'dead' in AZ, and is used regularly. Especially since their intent is to disrupt a private funeral.

ARS 13-2904. Disorderly conduct; classification

A. A person commits disorderly conduct if, with intent to disturb the peace or quiet of a neighborhood, family or person, or with knowledge of doing so, such person:

snip....

3. UESES ABUSIVE OR OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE OR GESTURES TO ANY PERSON PRESENT IN A MANNER LIKELY TO PROVOKE IMMEDIATE PHYSICAL RETALIATION BY SUCH PERSON; or

This overarches the legal doctrine of "Fighting words." They can also form the basis of criminal or civil actions for assault. These scum could be prosecuted/sued under this doctrine. Fighting words are not a defense for comitting assault and battery, but are actionable as an assault against whom they are directed. And signs--not just verbal activity, fall into the doctrine.

lykwidtepp

Is anybody here going to be attending the funeral? I was seriously thinking on going and supporting this human barrier. And lastly, would it be legal for me to openly carry my firearm at that location? Or even wise considering what happened? I personally think their is nothing wrong with me openly carrying, but other people might think differently and I don't want to offend anyone, I only want to show my support. (Yet at the same time protect myself and others)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is anybody here going to be attending the funeral? I was seriously thinking on going and supporting this human barrier. And lastly, would it be legal for me to openly carry my firearm at that location? Or even wise considering what happened? I personally think their is nothing wrong with me openly carrying, but other people might think differently and I don't want to offend anyone, I only want to show my support. (Yet at the same time protect myself and others)

Simple solution CC for the funeral - it is what I do simply to not be a distraction.

lykwidtepp

At my age (20) I can't conceal carry, so I'm just going to have to rely on other people who are hopefully carrying concealed.

-I have no problem with that, I want to just show my support.

March Hare

The Arizona legislature passed a bill making it a misdemeanor to protest within 300' of a funeral or burial service.

http://www.blogforarizona.com/blog/2011/01/bipartisan-funeral-protest-bill-passed.html

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/sb1101p.pdf

SB 1101, sponsored by Sen. Sinema, was passed in one day with an emergency clause, which makes it effective immediately upon signature of the Governor.

As passed:

1 Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
2 Section 1. Title 13, chapter 29, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended
3 by adding section 13-2930, to read:
4 13-2930. Unlawful protest activities; classification;
5 definition
6 A. A PERSON SHALL NOT PICKET OR ENGAGE IN OTHER PROTEST
7 ACTIVITIES, AND AN ASSOCIATION OR CORPORATION SHALL NOT CAUSE PICKETING OR
8 OTHER PROTEST ACTIVITIES TO OCCUR, WITHIN THREE HUNDRED FEET OF THE PROPERTY
9 LINE OF ANY RESIDENCE, CEMETERY, FUNERAL HOME, CHURCH, SYNAGOGUE OR OTHER
10 ESTABLISHMENT DURING OR WITHIN ONE HOUR BEFORE OR ONE HOUR AFTER THE
11 CONDUCTING OF A FUNERAL OR BURIAL SERVICE AT THAT PLACE.
12 B. A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A CLASS 1
13 MISDEMEANOR.
14 C. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "OTHER PROTEST ACTIVITIES" MEANS
15 ANY ACTION THAT IS DISRUPTIVE OR THAT IS UNDERTAKEN TO DISRUPT OR DISTURB A
16 FUNERAL OR BURIAL SERVICE.
17 Sec. 2. Emergency
18 This act is an emergency measure that is necessary to preserve the
19 public peace, health or safety and is operative immediately as provided by
20 law.

Passed unanimously and signed by the governor.

-MH

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Even repulsive speech can be practiced without polite restraint. If you love the 2nd, love the 1st. Defend the right to say it, but stop giving these thugs what they want: publicity.
Ask your media to ignore them. Make it known that you support the right of people to say their hateful things, but you will not ever again read or watch media outlets that give these people more than a passing mention. Their 15 minutes are up.

Give the media a new headline, "Second Amendment rights groups call for defense of First Amendment". Make the dialogue about how we hate what they are saying, and everything they stand for, but believe that, above all else, individuals have a right to express themselves in a non-violent manner.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Arizona leads again!

Other states please take note.

Thanks from all of us - good job.

Arizona is, I think, the 43rd state to pass this kind of legislation. (I think CNN said 45th yesterday, but I cannot find a source for that, and the First Amendment Center lists 41 as of October 2009.)

Guilty of trying to be brief and to the point rather than adding my usual dissertation on the subject. :D

Arizona has through a collection of new laws and attitudes moved to a place of eminence in the movement to regain and protect our rights. This latest domino just adds to the credibility. Also have to admit that I didn't realize that so many states had enacted similar laws. I still say well done.

1245A Defender

well,,,

i cant agree!!!
the new law is a knee jerk, bird brained, feel good reaction.
it is an unconstitutional violation of THEIR 1st amendment rights!
it makes as little or less sense as the
proposed new law to restrict OUR 2nd amendment rights as
lawfully armed citizens within 1000 feet of a congressman or a judge!

i sure dont agree with the speech of the protesters, but i will defend their right to say it.
if they try to protest, there will be 100s of freedom rider bikers and 10000 Tucsons between them and the funeral!
if i was closer i would show up on my Motto Guzzi and help drown those religious wackos out!!

Last edited:

wrightme

I do disagree with this. In this specific case, the right to privacy of those mourning a loss should allow for this temporary delay of another groups right to free speech. This is not much different than the "free speech zone" regulations in place for some gatherings.

i cant agree!!!
the new law is a knee jerk, bird brained, feel good reaction.
it is an unconstitutional violation of THEIR 1st amendment rights!
it makes as little or less sense as the
proposed new law to restrict OUR 2nd amendment rights as
lawfully armed citizens within 1000 feet of a congressman or a judge!