• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Williamsburg

ChadW

This fall my family and me are going to the Williamsburg area. What is the low down on carring in the area? We will be going to the Colonial Williamsburg are and Jamestown, maybe Yorktown. Any other suggestion or advice? Thanks for the help.

nuc65

Activist Member
This fall my family and me are going to the Williamsburg area. What is the low down on carring in the area? We will be going to the Colonial Williamsburg are and Jamestown, maybe Yorktown. Any other suggestion or advice? Thanks for the help.

I know there was another thread on this. It is part of VA so under the same law. Although, apparently if you drive through Surry County one must be careful.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
All are OC friendly.
Yorktown due to Sheriff Danny Diggs, is probably the most constitutional locality in the state.
Enjoy the trip and I echo being careful in Surry. Everything Yorktown is....Surry is NOT! Shame too, it's a beautiful county with a lot of fine people.

Sleepless

No matter what I would suggest that you carry an A/V Recorder, better to be safe than to be sorry.

Have a great trip and enjoy Colonial Williamsburg, I have heard that it is a great place to visit. =o)

MSC 45ACP

Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown

I OC in all of the above places on a regular basis. A few things to remember: Thou Shalt NOT carry (OC or CC) in any building that also houses federal employees (or similar verbage)... You can't carry IN any facility where National Park Service people work.
Jamestown and Yorktown both have these buildings.
http://www.nps.gov/jame/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/colo/index.htm
You can carry on the GROUNDS of the above places, but not in the buildings.

Both places ALSO have STATE-OWNED historical areas where you can OC or CC to your heart's content.
http://www.historyisfun.org/jamestown-settlement.htm
http://www.historyisfun.org/Yorktown-Victory-Center.htm

Refer back to the law that passed in the "Credit Card Bill" last year (or the year before?) for exact wording on the federal building restriction.

As mentioned already, Williamsburg is ok with it. You're even likely to be "engaged" in an interesting conversation with some reenactors (see the posts on Williamsburg mentioned previously). Be prepared for 'funny looks' from some Northerners. Try to engage them in conversation and share an "OC Card" If you have them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you make it to lobby day, I'll give you some.

I'll be the good looking fellow with a lot of cameras with a 1911 outside and an empty holster inside.:banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yep, an eight-year old post is always good intel to base one's trip on. FWIW, Colonial Williamsburg is private property, so be aware of that when you visit.

If you do a little searching, there are a number of fairly recent posts about OC'ing in Colonial Williamsburg, which is owned by The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. There has never been a problem in the Historic Area and only one in the City itself. That was an employee that thought it was an ABC violation, in a restaurant.

You will get some remarks from visiting Northeners..While filming the Grand Illumination this year, I heard someone in the crowd yell "He's got a gun, call the cops".

Needless to say, no police ever came.

Even that is rare. Most Northerners just comment on how they wish they could carry at home.