• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Guns-No Business Website

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The problem is that some businesses are hypocritical. Although Walmart APPEARS to support gun rights and I am often told that Walmart is accepting of Open Carry, my local Walmart has informed me that I may not enter it with a firearm (concealed or otherwise). Doesn't surprise me as they are the corporate partner of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. See: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/partnership/partnership.shtml

This on the spot GFZ was/is supported by Walmart corporate, leaving the decision up to the store manager. So... is this particular Walmart a Gun Free Zone? It is for me...

stainless1911

Banned
Hahaha good point. They just teach the second amendment, while practicing other things, and the people who we count on to defend these rights sit on their butts pointing fingers, making excuses and contribute to the problem.

Tucker6900

Do you welcome non-permit owners? The sticker specifies permit holder, why not change it to lawful carry???

I dont know who made the site, I just posted it here. And Iowa requires a permit to carry period, so if the site was made by someone here, thats probably why.

protias

Aaaah infringing on the 2A are they? Iowa has a long way to go. There should be no permit to OC.

Well, there should be no permit to carry and no restrictions where to carry. A lot of states have a long way to go. :(

protias

True that. I really hope you guys get Constitutional carry in WI.

Me too. I'll have to contact my rep again to get this done now. WI has been in the stone age long enough. We need to be more like our motto and move Forward!

Tucker6900

Aaaah infringing on the 2A are they? Iowa has a long way to go. There should be no permit to OC.

Its a mess here right now. Shall Issue went into effect January 1st, and pretty much immediately the AG of Iowa decided that local governments could enact ordinances and resolutions under "Home Rule" that prevent the legal carry of firearms. Its a friggin nightmare.

Tucker6900

Iowa Code 724.28

I take it Iowa doesn't have Preemption then???

Yeah....Yeah we do.

724.28 PROHIBITION OF REGULATION BY POLITICAL
SUBDIVISIONS.
A political subdivision of the state shall not enact an ordinance
regulating the ownership, possession, legal transfer, lawful
transportation, registration, or licensing of firearms when the
ownership, possession, transfer, or transportation is otherwise
lawful under the laws of this state. An ordinance regulating
firearms in violation of this section existing on or after April 5,
1990, is void.

They are basing their decisions on Tom Millers opinion, and the "Home Rule" law. Which, if read clearly states that as long as the ordinance in question is not inconsistent with the laws of the general assembly:

“A city may, except as expressly limited by the Constitution, and if not
inconsistent with the laws of the general assembly
exercise any power and perform any
function it deems appropriate to protect and preserve the rights, privileges, and property of the
city or of its residents, and to preserve and improve the peace, safety, health, welfare, comfort,
and convenience of its residents.”

Last edited: