• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregonians and Washington State Conceal Carry Licenses

Browncoatone

I know that this forum is dedicated to Open Carry but I am hopeful that being a related topic someone here may be able to educate me. As an Oregonian with a vaild Concealed Handgun License for the state of Oregon what do I have to do to acquire a valid conceal carry in the state of Washington? Thanks in advance for any information.

FMCDH

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070
RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied, unless:

(a) He or she is ineligible to possess a firearm under the provisions of RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045;

(b) The applicant's concealed pistol license is in a revoked status;

(c) He or she is under twenty-one years of age;

(d) He or she is subject to a court order or injunction regarding firearms pursuant to RCW 9A.46.080, 10.14.080, 10.99.040, 10.99.045, 26.09.050, 26.09.060, 26.10.040, 26.10.115, 26.26.130, 26.50.060, 26.50.070, or 26.26.590;

(e) He or she is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a felony offense;

(f) He or she has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest from any court of competent jurisdiction for a felony or misdemeanor; or

(g) He or she has been ordered to forfeit a firearm under RCW 9.41.098(1)(e) within one year before filing an application to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person.

No person convicted of a felony may have his or her right to possess firearms restored or his or her privilege to carry a concealed pistol restored, unless the person has been granted relief from disabilities by the attorney general under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 925(c), or RCW 9.41.040 (3) or (4) applies.

(2) The issuing authority shall check with the national crime information center, the Washington state patrol electronic database, the department of social and health services electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045 to possess a firearm and therefore ineligible for a concealed pistol license. This subsection applies whether the applicant is applying for a new concealed pistol license or to renew a concealed pistol license.

(3) Any person whose firearms rights have been restricted and who has been granted relief from disabilities by the attorney general under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 925(c) or who is exempt under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 921(a)(20)(A) shall have his or her right to acquire, receive, transfer, ship, transport, carry, and possess firearms in accordance with Washington state law restored except as otherwise prohibited by this chapter.

(4) The license application shall bear the full name, residential address, telephone number at the option of the applicant, date and place of birth, race, gender, description, a complete set of fingerprints, and signature of the licensee, and the licensee's driver's license number or state identification card number if used for identification in applying for the license. A signed application for a concealed pistol license shall constitute a waiver of confidentiality and written request that the department of social and health services, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities release information relevant to the applicant's eligibility for a concealed pistol license to an inquiring court or law enforcement agency.

The application for an original license shall include two complete sets of fingerprints to be forwarded to the Washington state patrol.

The license and application shall contain a warning substantially as follows:

CAUTION: Although state and local laws do not differ, federal law and state law on the possession of firearms differ. If you are prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm, you may be prosecuted in federal court. A state license is not a defense to a federal prosecution.

THEN...after reading that...http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Cheers!

Last edited:

oldkim

Now you have all the legal stuff....

Basically, you apply for out of state CPL (conceal pistol license).

No class, no other requirements except you meet the basic requirements. You can apply at any department.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html

fees: $55.25
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/fafees.html

You'll need to apply:
They used to have it on the website but now you have to either call or pick one up.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faforms.html

You'll get finger printed with the application and that's it. You wait and you should get it in 60 days or less.

Browncoatone

Follow up question

Ok, so it is my understanding that I need to apply to a county sherrif of a chief of police in the State of Washington. I take it that since this license is effective across the entire (federal property excluded ironically) state, it doesn't really matter which law enforcement office I apply to. Which begs the questions:

Aside from the office in Silverton, are there any other recomendations for which sherrif with which to apply to minimize red tape hassles? Are there any sherrifs up there that I should avoid?

Again, thanks in advance.

amlevin

Ok, so it is my understanding that I need to apply to a county sherrif of a chief of police in the State of Washington. I take it that since this license is effective across the entire (federal property excluded ironically) state, it doesn't really matter which law enforcement office I apply to. Which begs the questions:

Aside from the office in Silverton, are there any other recomendations for which sherrif with which to apply to minimize red tape hassles? Are there any sherrifs up there that I should avoid?

Again, thanks in advance.

Actually that would be SilverDALE. SilverTON is a small 'Ghost Town' along the Mountain Loop Highway East of Granite Falls.

Silverdale would be a 3-4 hour drive from the "River". I might be inclined to just go to the closest County and apply. They don't have to take the 60 days, they just have up to that amount of time. If you present your Oregon License that might speed the process. The time saved might not be worth the tank of gas.

The rest of the process is determined by the time it takes for the background check here in WA and the attitude of the Chief/Sheriff towards citizen carry.

Last edited:

j2l3

Also, Washington is a "Shall Issue" state. The Sheriff/Police Chief does not have authority to deny as long as you are not one with a disqualifier that is laid out on the application and the RCW.

The "red tape" such as it is, is the same throughout the state. Just some don't see the 60 days as etched in stone, because, well... it isn't.