• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a gun to a class meeting not held on campus, @ a gym

ocholsteroc

Hi, I am taking a class this year that meets off campus, its at a gym somewhere down the road from the college. I was wondering can I Open carry to the meeting? I am not on school grounds, but I am meeting with students from the college. I would believe its legal because I am not on a school ground. But they could have some BS tied into the legal system because you are meeting with a teacher from the school and students?????? But really I see no idea how that is leaglly tied into the system, it would be no different than me carrying if I was at the gym by myself.

One of my teachers is a cop I will ask him as well.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Hi, I am taking a class this year that meets off campus, its at a gym somewhere down the road from the college. I was wondering can I Open carry to the meeting? I am not on school grounds, but I am meeting with students from the college. I would believe its legal because I am not on a school ground. But they could have some BS tied into the legal system because you are meeting with a teacher from the school and students?????? But really I see no idea how that is leaglly tied into the system, it would be no different than me carrying if I was at the gym by myself.

IANAL But I would think that although not on campus they would still hold you to the student handbook becouse it is an official Class. As an adjunct Instructor on or off campus I was still held to the same standards.:banghead:

ocholsteroc

IANAL But I would think that although not on campus they would still hold you to the student handbook becouse it is an official Class. As an adjunct Instructor on or off campus I was still held to the same standards.:banghead:

Never mind, just found it

"possessing, brandishing, or using a firearm, weapon, or other device that is not required by the individual’s position while on college property or engaged in college business or in violation of law or college policy;" wow peice of crap, makes me defenceless.

I wonder when we will hear from the GMU law suit.

Thats a peice of crap, I am tied down to. If I was working out at this gym I could OC but I am with the school which means I can not. Total crap.

Last edited:

NovaCop

Usually not your best source of firearm law information.

Neither is asking a website forum (usually filled with members with little or zero legal education, experience, and bias).

As mentioned above, I agree with those that said it's not against the law. You won't find yourself in any legal troubles (obviously, there is no state/local laws banning gym-carry). However, universities have their own student code of conduct, which you agree to when you enroll. It's all a civil matter technically. They can, and most likely will in this type of situation, impose a sanction against you.

Last edited:

t33j

One of my teachers is a cop I will ask him as well.
I would have expected better from anyone who has been on this site more than a few days...

Of course. It's not illegal to OC or CC on public university property. (See also the AG opinion on the matter) It sure isn't illegal to OC or CC at a gym unless the property owner prohibits it. What you should be asking is weather or not it is against school policy. Can't really answer that for you. I have OCed around other students and professors from my University off campus on 2 occasions. On the first occasion, I found a 5" Kimber wrapped up in a t-shirt on my passenger seat. It belonged to another student who was apparently CCing but disarmed because of the type of work we were doing. I suppose he didn't want to scratch it up / risk damaging the gun.

I think there *is* something in the Code about k-12 meetings at places where it is used exclusively for the k-12 folks, but that doesn't apply here of course.

Last edited:

NovaCop

Thanks for my evening laugh...

Given the choice between "any random LEO" and the combined knowledge and self-imposed accountability ("cite please") of this forum... it's not even a contest.

:lol:

TFred

Evening laughs is one of the reasons why I check out this forum. I didn't disagree that asking a random LEO was not the best way to get knowledge. I merely pointed out that asking on a website is not a great idea. I don't see anyone on here (besides User identifying himself as a lawyer) having any formal law education or legal experience whatsoever. Also, anyone's claims at having knowledge can't be confirmed. If you are asking questions that may effect your bank account, criminal record, and/or freedom, I think it would be best to consult with actual legal counsel. If only "cites" were accurate, this man could find out his own information.

Last edited:

TFred

Evening laughs is one of the reasons why I check out this forum. I didn't disagree that asking a random LEO was not the best way to get knowledge. I merely pointed out that asking on a website is not a great idea. I don't see anyone on here (besides User identifying himself as a lawyer) having any formal law education or legal experience whatsoever. If you are asking questions that may effect your bank account, criminal record, and/or freedom, I think it would be best to consult with actual legal counsel. If only "cites" were accurate, this man could find out his own information.

Absolutely!

TFred

All American Nightmare

Neither is asking a website forum (usually filled with members with little or zero legal education, experience, and bias).

As mentioned above, I agree with those that said it's not against the law. You won't find yourself in any legal troubles (obviously, there is no state/local laws banning gym-carry). However, universities have their own student code of conduct, which you agree to when you enroll. It's all a civil matter technically. They can, and most likely will in this type of situation, impose a sanction against you.

Evening laughs is one of the reasons why I check out this forum. I didn't disagree that asking a random LEO was not the best way to get knowledge. I merely pointed out that asking on a website is not a great idea. I don't see anyone on here (besides User identifying himself as a lawyer) having any formal law education or legal experience whatsoever. If you are asking questions that may effect your bank account, criminal record, and/or freedom, I think it would be best to consult with actual legal counsel. If only "cites" were accurate, this man could find out his own information.
Why are you on this site? You seem to stand against everything we stand for? Why are you here?

NovaCop

Why are you on this site? You seem to stand against everything we stand for? Why are you here?

That is not correct. I am very pro 2A and the Constitution as you can see by previous posts. I support open carry and concealed carry, although I agree with some gun control. I started posting because I saw some posts with incorrect legal points (from my formal education and experience). I was actually surprised with the overall theme of this VA forum. I thought the members would be patriotic individuals, pro-government, looking to exercise the rights the government has allowed them to have (open carry, etc.). I was surprised to see the overall theme of this site to be somewhat anti-government and anti-LEO. For example, just this past week, I have seen LEOs described as gang members, ignorant, uneducated, and taught to lie. Rarely is there a pro-LEO post, even though LEOs are the ones enforcing the legal system that supports your open carry and there are numerous posts of positive LEO contact. I am against corrupt, and misguided LEOs as much as anyone on this site, however, it seems that LEOs are stereotyped on this site very negatively. I must state that it seems that there is only a small group of posters (bullies if you will) that seem to gang up on anyone who attempts to post on this forum with any viewpoint they disagree with. It has been pointed out numerous times, and has hurt the credibility of the VA forum and site overall. Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.

You really are defending your post that someone should obtain legal information on this site? You shouldn't be afraid or mad at those who have other viewpoints than your own. You should embrace the opportunity to change their opinion with your posts.

TFred

I thought the members would be patriotic individuals, pro-government, looking to exercise the rights the government has allowed them to have (open carry, etc.).
Really?

Dude, several of us bend over backwards trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and then you come up with gems like this?

Disappointing.

TFred

All American Nightmare

That is not correct. I am very pro 2A and the Constitution as you can see by previous posts. I support open carry and concealed carry, although I agree with some gun control. I started posting because I saw some posts with incorrect legal points (from my formal education and experience). I was actually surprised with the overall theme of this VA forum. I thought the members would be patriotic individuals, pro-government, looking to exercise the rights the government has allowed them to have (open carry, etc.). I was surprised to see the overall theme of this site to be somewhat anti-government and anti-LEO. For example, just this past week, I have seen LEOs described as gang members, ignorant, uneducated, and taught to lie. Rarely is there a pro-LEO post, even though LEOs are the ones enforcing the legal system that supports your open carry and there are numerous posts of positive LEO contact. I am against corrupt, and misguided LEOs as much as anyone on this site, however, it seems that LEOs are stereotyped on this site very negatively. I must state that it seems that there is only a small group of posters (bullies if you will) that seem to gang up on anyone who attempts to post on this forum with any viewpoint they disagree with. It has been pointed out numerous times, and has hurt the credibility of the VA forum and site overall. Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.

You really are defending your post that someone should obtain legal information on this site? You shouldn't be afraid or mad at those who have other viewpoints than your own. You should embrace the opportunity to change their opinion with your posts.

SCOTUS has given LEOs the power to lie you know this. Why do you act as if it never happens? Your statement about lawsuits have filled pockets is a joke. There is a difference between what is legal and what LEOs get away with. Many people on this site have problems with OC encounters with LEOs. We are forced to learn the laws that are relevant to OC and the laws that protect us. The other week I had a LEO walk up to me and say “You have done nothing illegal. Why do you open carry a gun like that? My response "If I have done nothing illegal why would you say something to me then?" His response “I have a duty to" If he would have said could not but to help notice your sidearm what’s your brand? or what do you carry? He would have gotten a different answer. How does a LEO have a duty to approach someone who has broken no law? If they are rights, the government cannot take them. You should take your own advice on being more open. Try looking at things from a distance.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

there are other nuggets, like this one!

LEOs are the ones enforcing the legal system that supports your open carry

i am glad that there are LEOs (i guess thats YOU, novacop10) out there, on the job,
enforcing the legal system that supports my open carry,
so i dont get arrested by a LEO while i exercise my right to self defense!

t33j

...and to think I was somewhat neutral on NovaCop's comments/presence here before this thread.
wow :banghead:

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

there are other nuggets, like this one!

LEOs are the ones enforcing the legal system that supports your open carry

i am glad that there are LEOs (i guess thats YOU, novacop10) out there, on the job,
enforcing the legal system that supports my open carry,
so i dont get arrested by a LEO while i exercise my right to self defense!
How do Washington gun laws compare to Va?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
...and to think I was somewhat neutral on NovaCop's comments/presence here before this thread.
wow :banghead:

Novacop puts on a good first impression, but he's like Jovita Dickerson. The longer you listen, the uglier he gets.