• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a gun to a class meeting not held on campus, @ a gym

Thundar

In defense of Novacop???

Novacop has a point of view that is different than mine, but that is OK.

It sure would be a boring forum if we all agreed on everything.

Please let this forum represent a place where we can have reasoned discussions about our differences. There are pleanty of web forums that have a "you must conform to our belief system or you will be banned" policy. OCDO is sucessful because we allow real dialog and ask for cites, eliminating most of the B.S.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Novacop has a point of view that is different than mine, but that is OK.

It sure would be a boring forum if we all agreed on everything.

Please let this forum represent a place where we can have reasoned discussions about our differences. There are pleanty of web forums that have a "you must conform to our belief system or you will be banned" policy. OCDO is sucessful because we allow real dialog and ask for cites, eliminating most of the B.S.

Are you OK Thundar?

ocholsteroc

Originally Posted by ocholsteroc
One of my teachers is a cop I will ask him as well.
I would have expected better from anyone who has been on this site more than a few days...

What I really mean is I was going ask him on the student handbook info, not carrying, because I know some LEO's do not know, and are NOT legal advice. I did not know where to find the student handbook at first.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I thought the members would be patriotic individuals, pro-government, looking to exercise the rights the government has allowed them to have (open carry, etc.).

NovaCop10 would you like to rephrase the above?!

Rights come from God and exist whether the government exists or not! Should I write a thank you note to my congressman each day since the government allows me to live? (for now)

The only thing the government is supposed to do is protect against tyranny that would restrict those rights! In no way does government allow rights! What they seem to do so often is allow encroachment on rights!

nuc65

Activist Member
That is not correct. I am very pro 2A and the Constitution as you can see by previous posts. I support open carry and concealed carry, although I agree with some gun control. I started posting because I saw some posts with incorrect legal points (from my formal education and experience). I was actually surprised with the overall theme of this VA forum. I thought the members would be patriotic individuals, pro-government, looking to exercise the rights the government has allowed them to have (open carry, etc.). I was surprised to see the overall theme of this site to be somewhat anti-government and anti-LEO. For example, just this past week, I have seen LEOs described as gang members, ignorant, uneducated, and taught to lie. Rarely is there a pro-LEO post, even though LEOs are the ones enforcing the legal system that supports your open carry and there are numerous posts of positive LEO contact. I am against corrupt, and misguided LEOs as much as anyone on this site, however, it seems that LEOs are stereotyped on this site very negatively. I must state that it seems that there is only a small group of posters (bullies if you will) that seem to gang up on anyone who attempts to post on this forum with any viewpoint they disagree with. It has been pointed out numerous times, and has hurt the credibility of the VA forum and site overall. Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.

You really are defending your post that someone should obtain legal information on this site? You shouldn't be afraid or mad at those who have other viewpoints than your own. You should embrace the opportunity to change their opinion with your posts.

I believe this is a good forum for the initial step of learning but as always, TRUST BUT VERIFY.

I also believe that I spent 6 years in service to the constitution so that you may have any opinion you like, whether I disagree with it or not. I don't always disagree with what you say but sometimes I do. I welcome reasoned discourse, sometimes even unreasoned discourse although it is harder to take seriously.

Last edited:

TraumaRN

........can I Open carry to the meeting?

Back on topic.....the question was "to the meeting"- answer yes. During the meeting- answer probably no. Can the gun be secured prior to the start of class? I would believe you to be under any school policy while actively engaged in school business. Transit between places is not engaged in school business unless you are being compensated for such time/transit.

thoughts?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Back on topic.....the question was "to the meeting"- answer yes. During the meeting- answer probably no. Can the gun be secured prior to the start of class? I would believe you to be under any school policy while actively engaged in school business. Transit between places is not engaged in school business unless you are being compensated for such time/transit.

thoughts?

+1

mercutio545

A while back, I took a bowling class (hey don't joke, it really improved my game!) that was offered by a state community college here in VA. More than half of the class time was reserved for practice and league bowling. We were free to get food and drink, but the instructor said that those of us who were of age to imbibe, could not do so, due to school policy. He said that the location did not matter, since it was still a "class".

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
A while back, I took a bowling class (hey don't joke, it really improved my game!) that was offered by a state community college here in VA. More than half of the class time was reserved for practice and league bowling. We were free to get food and drink, but the instructor said that those of us who were of age to imbibe, could not do so, due to school policy. He said that the location did not matter, since it was still a "class".
And that may have been his or the school policy but not law.

Jonesy

That is not correct. I am very pro 2A and the Constitution as you can see by previous posts. I support open carry and concealed carry, although I agree with some gun control. I started posting because I saw some posts with incorrect legal points (from my formal education and experience). I was actually surprised with the overall theme of this VA forum. I thought the members would be patriotic individuals, pro-government, looking to exercise the rights the government has allowed them to have (open carry, etc.). I was surprised to see the overall theme of this site to be somewhat anti-government and anti-LEO. For example, just this past week, I have seen LEOs described as gang members, ignorant, uneducated, and taught to lie. Rarely is there a pro-LEO post, even though LEOs are the ones enforcing the legal system that supports your open carry and there are numerous posts of positive LEO contact. I am against corrupt, and misguided LEOs as much as anyone on this site, however, it seems that LEOs are stereotyped on this site very negatively. I must state that it seems that there is only a small group of posters (bullies if you will) that seem to gang up on anyone who attempts to post on this forum with any viewpoint they disagree with. It has been pointed out numerous times, and has hurt the credibility of the VA forum and site overall. Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.

You really are defending your post that someone should obtain legal information on this site? You shouldn't be afraid or mad at those who have other viewpoints than your own. You should embrace the opportunity to change their opinion with your posts.

I must comment, as I was the one who said cops are taught to lie to get people to admit to damaging things, that probably caught novacop10's attention. I am surprised that this comment offended you, you do know that the Supreme Court has authorized such? Further, I would like to know whether you were ever trained that you can lie to people to get them to admit to things.

I happen to very much value postings by people such as you who have different viewpoints than I do, as such postings may make me consider issues I had not previously thought about. The free exchange of ideas is a valuable tool to us all. Please continue to post your ideas on here. Unlike many members of this forum, ALL of my encounters with LEOs while open carrying have been very positive, I have never had an issue carrying primarily in Alexandria and surrounding areas. So my views on LEOs are fairly positive based on my personal experiences. BTW, I must agree with the above comments re the government did not give us the right to open carry.

Last edited:

mercutio545

And that may have been his or the school policy but not law.

I am aware of this. I can have a drink while taking a bowling class and get kicked out of school, but not charged with a crime. I can carry at my college and get kicked out of school, but not charged with a crime. I wasn't sure if the OP was asking if it was against the law, or against school policy in general.