• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Band of brothers" Major Winters dies @ Age 92.

lil_freak_66

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110110/ap_on_en_tv/us_obit_winters

"Dick Winters was at the Vanguard of representing `The Greatest Generation' in bringing honor to all his Band of Brothers when he collaborated with Tom Hanks, Stephen Ambrose and me in the mounting of our tribute series," Spielberg said in a statement. "He would not have wanted this credit. He would have simply asked all of us to never forget how his generation served this nation and the world in WWII."

Here is a website dedicated to getting Maj. Winters a CMOH,i fully support him recieving the CMOH.
http://www.majordickwinters.com/

Personally,ill be flying my flag at half staff for the remainder of the week.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I spent twenty years in the military, but my time doesn't even begin to compare with what things were like back in the '40s.

My Mom some time talks about some of the stories her uncle related to her regarding his time on Tarawa. He was a Navy corpsman. I read a short story about Tarawa one time and got a little bit sick to my stomach.

I think I understand, just a bit, why most who served back then would rather not talk about it.

slowfiveoh

:cry:

My heart felt condolences to him and his family.

I had the great honor of meeting him, and "Shifty" Powers, in the street between the Airbourne Musee' and the famous church in St. Mere-Eglise, France, during the 60th Anniversary of D-Day in June of 2004.

I was further honored by receiving one of the little Airbourne coins from the novelty shop in the museum from them as well.

Major Winters was the one who basically wrote the book on assaulting fixed enemy positions. His technique is still taught today in basic training, and is an everlasting testament to his tactical genius.

I am sure he is making Captain Sobel miserable in the afterlife.

beebobby

The news of this hero's passing prompted me to reread George S. Patton's famous speech before the 3rd Army on June 5, 1944. Truly inspirational.