• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mentally Ill Rarely Get Guns In Virginia

The Donkey

From News Leader:

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20110111/NEWS01/101110323/Mentally-ill-rarely-get-guns-in-Va-

"Relatively few Virginians with mental illnesses serious enough to require hospital treatment get their hands on guns, a News Leader review of state records suggests."

whistle.gif

MamaLiberty

People with all kinds of problems and illnesses buy and operate a million "dangerous" tools each day.

Guns, cars, matches, hammers, screw drivers, etc. All are inanimate objects and not able to act on their own or influence the human being holding them.

We must consider the individual and defend ourselves from their actual actions and choices, not the tool - and not the mere potential for evil use of ordinary things. Otherwise, we all eventually wind up in straight jackets.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
We need a two-page form to fill out for a background check for people wanting to buy chainsaws. If we could just all give up any notions of personal liberty, then prior restraint would be a good way to prevent crime. Of course, that issue was debated during the development of the Constitution, but we'd figured we'd had enough of totalitarian/authoritarian governments by that time. The decision was made, we'd take the risk that crimes will occur, and that we'd authorize The State to apprehend and punish criminals after the crime had been committed, but that we'd take that risk as the alternative to the cost of "crime prevention". I don't know, those chainsaws could be pretty dangerous. And cars! What about cars! Surely extensive psychological testing should be required to obtain a driver's license!

TFred

From News Leader:

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20110111/NEWS01/101110323/Mentally-ill-rarely-get-guns-in-Va-

"Relatively few Virginians with mental illnesses serious enough to require hospital treatment get their hands on guns, a News Leader review of state records suggests."
Last year, 215 people applying for gun permits were denied for mental health reasons, up from 109 in 2007, according to the Virginia State Police.
What's a "gun permit?"

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What's a "gun permit?"

TFred

You know...one of them things that lets you carry a gun while your bow hunting.

As usual, the MSM doesn't know the difference between buying a gun and becoming a special gun toter.

tkd2006

It only takes one.

See also: Sueng-hui Cho

I rest my case.

Cho was not in the system. No one wanted to step up to the plate and have him labeled as a mental health
subject. This has since been corrected and the correct title of the news article should have read

"Mentally Ill never get guns in Va when applying from a registered dealer"

nuc65

Activist Member
We need a two-page form to fill out for a background check for people wanting to buy chainsaws. If we could just all give up any notions of personal liberty, then prior restraint would be a good way to prevent crime. Of course, that issue was debated during the development of the Constitution, but we'd figured we'd had enough of totalitarian/authoritarian governments by that time. The decision was made, we'd take the risk that crimes will occur, and that we'd authorize The State to apprehend and punish criminals after the crime had been committed, but that we'd take that risk as the alternative to the cost of "crime prevention". I don't know, those chainsaws could be pretty dangerous. And cars! What about cars! Surely extensive psychological testing should be required to obtain a driver's license!

Surely, you jest! Mayhaps you are conspiring to conspire something or another.

TFred

Surely, you jest! Mayhaps you are conspiring to conspire something or another.
And I thought the only guy who didn't understand hyperbole around here was gone!

:)

TFred