Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: NC congressman to carry gun

  1. #1
    Regular Member Northerner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    320

    NC congressman to carry gun

    A North Carolina congressman says he'll carry a gun when he attends public events. "You never know when those problems could arise..."

    http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/8910214/
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

  2. #2
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Good to see that at least one lawmaker gets it. A small voice in the heavy anti-gun noise that is now permeating the airwaves right now, but not insignificant.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cameron, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    110
    Maybe when he sees that he cant carry every were he thinks he can we can change some laws. He wont be able to carry in restaurnts that serve alcohol heck every time he is speaking in public isn't that an assembly.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loughman,Florida, USA
    Posts
    119
    i think, not sure, but i think that members of the US legislature (just the same as federal judges) have the legal protection to carry firearms just the same as federal law enforcement
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by edrolee View Post
    i think, not sure, but i think that members of the US legislature (just the same as federal judges) have the legal protection to carry firearms just the same as federal law enforcement
    Perhaps in some states (like WV and VA I believe), but I don't believe they "get a pass" in NC. And DEFINITELY not in Washington DC.

    If these politicians are not sworn LE officers, and have the "power of arrest", then there is no way they qualify for LEOSA, or any exemptions afforded to Fed LE...

    If he's carrying on his NC CHP, that means NO carry for him in venues that serve alcohol, or charge admission, or parades, or in State or Federal government buildings, etc, etc, etc...

    I wonder if Rep. Shuler knows he can't carry when he's in parades? Somebody needs to call his office and remind them, because I'm sure he probably rides in a few parades in the summer...

    Of course, they COULD write a Statute to exempt themselves--the do for everything else. I'll poke around and see if I can dig something up, but I'm pretty sure that US Congressmen DO NOT "get a pass" on carry restrictions--in NC or in DC...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-11-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    44
    No, they just have their aide break the law for them if they don't feel like following the rules:

    "Capitol Police rules allow members and their employees to bring a weapon onto Capitol grounds if it is unloaded and securely wrapped. In this case, it was neither."

    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...#ixzz1AlbwAw80

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    27

    Oh the irony

    U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-NY and the chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, plans to introduce legislation that would make it illegal to "knowingly carry a gun within 1,000 feet of the President, Vice President, Members of Congress or judges of the Federal Judiciary,"

    King noted that in the U.S., it is illegal to bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a school.

    "Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger,"...

    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/9973...s-arizona.htm#

    Wouldn't this make it illegal for our congressman to carry a gun within 1000 feet of himself? Also, I would like to know how the gun-free school zones act of 1995 helped to keep Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold 1000 feet away from Columbine High School. This is the funniest thing I've read in a while.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Maverick9110e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    224
    regardless of what the laws are, he'll carry regardless. I'd like to see the cop that tries to actually stop him.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loughman,Florida, USA
    Posts
    119
    someone needs to remind peter king that schools don't get up and move

    if politicians want to relocate to one place an never move again then i'll accept his new law and the country will be far better off
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

  10. #10
    Regular Member Resto Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    186
    QUOTE: "Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger,"...(end of quote)


    So if that law had been in place last week in AZ., no shooting would have taken place. Yeah, right.

    What law would have prevented that shooting from happening? None. The killer broke several laws much more serious. Too bad he didn't taste a bullet.
    I'd like to hear Rep. King explain "better chance to intercept would-be shooters". How does that work? Will the person's nose glow orange because they are breaking the law? Will they look different, or smell different? Will some kind of invisible force field draw them into the arms of law enforcement?
    Or, will government and LE have the "right" to be even more personally invasive with passage of new laws.

    Gentleman, we as handgun owners have just been hit with our 9/11. We stand to lose much in the months ahead, all in name of security..

  11. #11
    Regular Member Northerner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Resto Guy View Post
    QUOTE: "Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger,"...(end of quote)


    So if that law had been in place last week in AZ., no shooting would have taken place. Yeah, right.

    What law would have prevented that shooting from happening? None. The killer broke several laws much more serious. Too bad he didn't taste a bullet.
    I'd like to hear Rep. King explain "better chance to intercept would-be shooters". How does that work? Will the person's nose glow orange because they are breaking the law? Will they look different, or smell different? Will some kind of invisible force field draw them into the arms of law enforcement?
    Or, will government and LE have the "right" to be even more personally invasive with passage of new laws.

    Gentleman, we as handgun owners have just been hit with our 9/11. We stand to lose much in the months ahead, all in name of security..
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Out-Gun-Owners

    Get typing OCDO members!
    Last edited by Northerner; 01-11-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sneads Ferry, ,
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Perhaps in some states (like WV and VA I believe), but I don't believe they "get a pass" in NC. And DEFINITELY not in Washington DC.

    If these politicians are not sworn LE officers, and have the "power of arrest", then there is no way they qualify for LEOSA, or any exemptions afforded to Fed LE...

    If he's carrying on his NC CHP, that means NO carry for him in venues that serve alcohol, or charge admission, or parades, or in State or Federal government buildings, etc, etc, etc...

    I wonder if Rep. Shuler knows he can't carry when he's in parades? Somebody needs to call his office and remind them, because I'm sure he probably rides in a few parades in the summer...

    Of course, they COULD write a Statute to exempt themselves--the do for everything else. I'll poke around and see if I can dig something up, but I'm pretty sure that US Congressmen DO NOT "get a pass" on carry restrictions--in NC or in DC...
    Not to worry Dreamer, Gov. Bev will just advise the LEA,s to ignore that little inconvenience in the statutes and all will be fine. Seems to be working out for the emergencies.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Goldsboro, , USA
    Posts
    184
    Good plan. Announce it to the world so you'll be the first one they shoot!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by NCjones View Post
    Good plan. Announce it to the world so you'll be the first one they shoot!
    Isn't that one of the arguements against OC rather than CC?

  15. #15
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    I hope he does break these stupid laws when carrying. Maybe that will wake enough people up to change them after they see just how ridiculous they are in practice.

  16. #16
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    +1.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    40

    Cool

    Somebody invite that guy to an open carry meetup event!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cameron NC, , USA
    Posts
    113
    +2

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246
    too bad he is a Liberal.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246
    everyone should send him a Email inviting him to an opencarry meet.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loughman,Florida, USA
    Posts
    119
    if they get that new law about not carrying with in 1000 feet of a congressman then tell him to keep as far away as possible

    (on a side note i think the law as it is being reported, having to stay 1000 feet from a congressman if you are armed will not withstand the courts b/c if your shopping and your congressman walks in the store then your violating the law..... some congresspeople don't think before they act)
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

  22. #22
    Regular Member lonewolf2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newton, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by edrolee View Post
    if they get that new law about not carrying with in 1000 feet of a congressman then tell him to keep as far away as possible

    (on a side note i think the law as it is being reported, having to stay 1000 feet from a congressman if you are armed will not withstand the courts b/c if your shopping and your congressman walks in the store then your violating the law..... some congresspeople don't think before they act)
    Not sure but I thought they wanted to pass a law that you could not carry within 1000ft of a Government Official, I wonder if this means LEO along with all our County and state official's? That would be bad news.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    105
    Legally speaking, the 2nd Amendment applies to all states with the incorporation of the 14th Amendment. Unfortunately, we would need more rulings to clear up the right to carry as part of the "shall not be infringed" part

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loughman,Florida, USA
    Posts
    119
    still, government officials are not stationary objects and without flashing beacons and loud speakers announcing their presence you can be out minding your own business and all of a sudden be breaking the law b/c someone decided to have a bite of lunch or do a little shopping

    this SHOULD never stand up in court
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    40

    Key Word is

    Key word is knowingly..

    I don't know who is a federal judge, congressman, aide, intern or whatever..

    I didn't leave my house with the intent to do anything that violates the silly law.

    If I happened to pass by, oh well. I didn't knowingly do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •