• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC congressman to carry gun

rotorhead

Good to see that at least one lawmaker gets it. A small voice in the heavy anti-gun noise that is now permeating the airwaves right now, but not insignificant.

bwhunter65

Maybe when he sees that he cant carry every were he thinks he can we can change some laws. He wont be able to carry in restaurnts that serve alcohol heck every time he is speaking in public isn't that an assembly.

edrolee

i think, not sure, but i think that members of the US legislature (just the same as federal judges) have the legal protection to carry firearms just the same as federal law enforcement

Dreamer

i think, not sure, but i think that members of the US legislature (just the same as federal judges) have the legal protection to carry firearms just the same as federal law enforcement

Perhaps in some states (like WV and VA I believe), but I don't believe they "get a pass" in NC. And DEFINITELY not in Washington DC.

If these politicians are not sworn LE officers, and have the "power of arrest", then there is no way they qualify for LEOSA, or any exemptions afforded to Fed LE...

If he's carrying on his NC CHP, that means NO carry for him in venues that serve alcohol, or charge admission, or parades, or in State or Federal government buildings, etc, etc, etc...

I wonder if Rep. Shuler knows he can't carry when he's in parades? Somebody needs to call his office and remind them, because I'm sure he probably rides in a few parades in the summer...

Of course, they COULD write a Statute to exempt themselves--the do for everything else. I'll poke around and see if I can dig something up, but I'm pretty sure that US Congressmen DO NOT "get a pass" on carry restrictions--in NC or in DC...

Last edited:

cmlewis184

Oh the irony

U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-NY and the chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, plans to introduce legislation that would make it illegal to "knowingly carry a gun within 1,000 feet of the President, Vice President, Members of Congress or judges of the Federal Judiciary,"

King noted that in the U.S., it is illegal to bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a school.

"Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger,"...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/99733/20110111/guns-arizona.htm#

Wouldn't this make it illegal for our congressman to carry a gun within 1000 feet of himself? Also, I would like to know how the gun-free school zones act of 1995 helped to keep Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold 1000 feet away from Columbine High School. This is the funniest thing I've read in a while.

edrolee

someone needs to remind peter king that schools don't get up and move

if politicians want to relocate to one place an never move again then i'll accept his new law and the country will be far better off

Resto Guy

QUOTE: "Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger,"...(end of quote)

So if that law had been in place last week in AZ., no shooting would have taken place. Yeah, right.

What law would have prevented that shooting from happening? None. The killer broke several laws much more serious. Too bad he didn't taste a bullet.
I'd like to hear Rep. King explain "better chance to intercept would-be shooters". How does that work? Will the person's nose glow orange because they are breaking the law? Will they look different, or smell different? Will some kind of invisible force field draw them into the arms of law enforcement?
Or, will government and LE have the "right" to be even more personally invasive with passage of new laws.

Gentleman, we as handgun owners have just been hit with our 9/11. We stand to lose much in the months ahead, all in name of security..

Northerner

QUOTE: "Passing a similar law for government officials would give federal, state, and local law enforcement a better chance to intercept would-be shooters before they pull the trigger,"...(end of quote)

So if that law had been in place last week in AZ., no shooting would have taken place. Yeah, right.

What law would have prevented that shooting from happening? None. The killer broke several laws much more serious. Too bad he didn't taste a bullet.
I'd like to hear Rep. King explain "better chance to intercept would-be shooters". How does that work? Will the person's nose glow orange because they are breaking the law? Will they look different, or smell different? Will some kind of invisible force field draw them into the arms of law enforcement?
Or, will government and LE have the "right" to be even more personally invasive with passage of new laws.

Gentleman, we as handgun owners have just been hit with our 9/11. We stand to lose much in the months ahead, all in name of security..

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85271-GRNC-Alert-01-11-2011-Republicans-Preparing-to-Sell-Out-Gun-Owners :p

Get typing OCDO members!

Last edited:

buzzsaw

Perhaps in some states (like WV and VA I believe), but I don't believe they "get a pass" in NC. And DEFINITELY not in Washington DC.

If these politicians are not sworn LE officers, and have the "power of arrest", then there is no way they qualify for LEOSA, or any exemptions afforded to Fed LE...

If he's carrying on his NC CHP, that means NO carry for him in venues that serve alcohol, or charge admission, or parades, or in State or Federal government buildings, etc, etc, etc...

I wonder if Rep. Shuler knows he can't carry when he's in parades? Somebody needs to call his office and remind them, because I'm sure he probably rides in a few parades in the summer...

Of course, they COULD write a Statute to exempt themselves--the do for everything else. I'll poke around and see if I can dig something up, but I'm pretty sure that US Congressmen DO NOT "get a pass" on carry restrictions--in NC or in DC...

Not to worry Dreamer, Gov. Bev will just advise the LEA,s to ignore that little inconvenience in the statutes and all will be fine. Seems to be working out for the emergencies.

rotorhead

I hope he does break these stupid laws when carrying. Maybe that will wake enough people up to change them after they see just how ridiculous they are in practice.