• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC congressman to carry gun

edrolee

if they get that new law about not carrying with in 1000 feet of a congressman then tell him to keep as far away as possible

(on a side note i think the law as it is being reported, having to stay 1000 feet from a congressman if you are armed will not withstand the courts b/c if your shopping and your congressman walks in the store then your violating the law..... some congresspeople don't think before they act)

lonewolf2810

if they get that new law about not carrying with in 1000 feet of a congressman then tell him to keep as far away as possible

(on a side note i think the law as it is being reported, having to stay 1000 feet from a congressman if you are armed will not withstand the courts b/c if your shopping and your congressman walks in the store then your violating the law..... some congresspeople don't think before they act)

Not sure but I thought they wanted to pass a law that you could not carry within 1000ft of a Government Official, I wonder if this means LEO along with all our County and state official's? That would be bad news.

AFPVet

Legally speaking, the 2nd Amendment applies to all states with the incorporation of the 14th Amendment. Unfortunately, we would need more rulings to clear up the right to carry as part of the "shall not be infringed" part :p

edrolee

still, government officials are not stationary objects and without flashing beacons and loud speakers announcing their presence you can be out minding your own business and all of a sudden be breaking the law b/c someone decided to have a bite of lunch or do a little shopping

this SHOULD never stand up in court

78 Camaro

Key Word is

Key word is knowingly..

I don't know who is a federal judge, congressman, aide, intern or whatever..

I didn't leave my house with the intent to do anything that violates the silly law.

If I happened to pass by, oh well. I didn't knowingly do it.

NCjones

Isn't that one of the arguements against OC rather than CC?

Well, I'm not an ANTI as you all have suggested.
I'm just looking at it from a strategic viewpoint.

It's one thing if I am OC'ing at the local convenient store where the robber might just see my OC'd gun and go somewhere else to rob - He has his choice of targets. It's a totally different situation when it's an assassin whose objective it to kill me or a colleague. Chances are (especially if he's a nut) he isn't going to just go away if he is serious about completing his mission.

I've was a bodyguard for 10 years while in Texas (CC'ing) and I can tell you the guy would have better odds keeping it a secret and using the advantage of surprise. Again, this is one of the few situations where the weapons visibility and the bad guy knowing you have it just doesn't work in your favor.

calynn

That seems like flawed logic though. It doesn't matter if the Congressman is armed or not. If someone is trying to assassinate him in public, someone isn't trying to rob him - they're trying to kill him. Giffords wasn't armed, but even if she was, would Loughner have thought twice? No, I don't think so.

He also lost the "advantage of surprise" when he announced to the news that he was going to carry. Even if he carries concealed, it's not like it's a secret, now is it?

NCjones

He also lost the "advantage of surprise" when he announced to the news that he was going to carry. Even if he carries concealed, it's not like it's a secret, now is it?

My point exactly.
I guess it's really a moot point. He's made the big announcement and now, even if he changes his mind and isn't armed in the future, an assassin is going to assume he is.

I just wish it would have happened ANYWHERE else but Arizona. The Brady crowd is probably beating their chests and yelling I TOLD YOU SO since AZ is really gun-friendly. "Gonna be a dodge-city if them libs are allowed to carry guns!"

REDFIVE48

Gotta go with OC if you are the target of an assassin, much faster to draw from OC than CC, so if the BG happens to lose his element of surprise, then that split second advantage of OC may just save your life. Now if you are the body guard of said target, CC may keep you from taking the first round, but then you will lose your job as the first round goes into the primary target.

seaweaver

Yes is is a Democrat...interesting WRAL FAILS to note this.
Schuler, he was in the news for something stupid(politically to my instincts)...he may be a liberal....But just because he is a democrat it doesn't make him a liberal.
I'd need more checking on his voting record.
cw