Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOVA politician trying to make a gun ban at virginia capital

Exclamation NOVA politician trying to make a gun ban at virginia capital

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 804emt View Post
    Now you know why I want to give NOVA (Area not the person) to Mary Land!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Please, no! Some of us still have to live here!
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Let's do it. Just wait about a year until I move to the real Virginia.

Peter, I don't like having as many liberals around me as I do, and I hate what they do in the GA and Congress, but I would never be willing to secede any part of this Commonwealth to the PRM. While I also loath living in such a crowded area and would prefer to reside somewhere a little more open and free, this is where my family and home are, so, for now, I will continue to fight to make this a better part of Virginia.

Additionally, there is far too much history throughout this region to give up on it entirely. Would you really have the homes and lands of great Virginians such as Washington, Lee, Madison, and many others once again be desecrated by northern control? May it never be so!

To the point of the thread, I am not very worried about this succeeding in the General Assembly. This is not much different than any other gun ban that comes up and is shot down every year (such as library bans), and I don't invision this bill fairing any better.

As far as how we stop it, we show up en masse at the GA on Monday (legally armed), and we let every legislator know exactly how we feel about the effectiveness of gun bans.

BTW, Peter, in case you couldn't tell, while I ment every word I wrote above, my comments are all in good spirits, and I took no real, great personal offense to your proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    Please, no! Some of us still have to live here!
    I agree.. NOVA is not THAT bad.. just has some bad neighborhoods.. like the one this Rep. if from.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    As far as how we stop it, we show up en masse at the GA on Monday (legally armed), and we let every legislator know exactly how we feel about the effectiveness of gun bans.
    There's your answer!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Peter, I don't like having as many liberals around me as I do, and I hate what they do in the GA and Congress, but I would never be willing to secede any part of this Commonwealth to the PRM. While I also loath living in such a crowded area and would prefer to reside somewhere a little more open and free, this is where my family and home are, so, for now, I will continue to fight to make this a better part of Virginia.

Additionally, there is far too much history throughout this region to give up on it entirely. Would you really have the homes and lands of great Virginians such as Washington, Lee, Madison, and many others once again be desecrated by northern control? May it never be so!

To the point of the thread, I am not very worried about this succeeding in the General Assembly. This is not much different than any other gun ban that comes up and is shot down every year (such as library bans), and I don't invision this bill fairing any better.

BTW, Peter, in case you couldn't tell, while I ment every word I wrote above, my comments are all in good spirits, and I took no real, great personal offense to your proposal.
    Yes, I knew it was in good spirits VP!
    I do wish we could give some of the occupants to the North though.

My post should be taken in the same light as my proposal to Bob McDonnell, that he recover the cost of reopening the rest areas through the Pay2Pee plan, where persons north of the Pamunkey river would have to pay a fee to use the facilities. The further north, the more they pay.

He did not take my advice

Quote Originally Posted by 804emt View Post
    To get back on topic.. I think we (VCDL) needs to make a strong showing, proving that law abiding, responsible gun owners are NOT the problem.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    To get back on topic.. I think we (VCDL) needs to make a strong showing, proving that law abiding, responsible gun owners are NOT the problem.
    WE can't do that until we see where it's headed. I haven't seen a bill introduced yet and haven't checked with the House Grounds Committee to see if he's going that route.
    Unless....you're just talking about a strong showing at Lobby Day. That goes without saying.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

email sent and CC to MY delagate and senator

Delegate Hope -

I just read the article on NBC at http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13822220 about your proposing legislation to prohibit firearms in the Virginia Capitol and the General Assembly Building.

You are quoted as saying "There's nothing offensive or unconstitutional about asking individuals not to bring firearms into the GAB or the Capitol."

You sir are wrong and way off base. I am offended and it is indeed unconstitutional. I have the right to bear arms as do you. What part of "shall not be infringed" did you not understand when you took your oath of office? I want to be able to defend my life (and maybe yours) when I visit the GAB. My views, actions, beliefs are millions of miles away from that of the Arizona shooter.

If indeed your present such legislation, I expect it to fail by a large margin. Don't use the Arizona tragedy to create knee jerk reaction to push forward your own political agenda.

I am disgusted.

Sincerely,
    Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Oh but look -- you can check your gun at the door!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    HB 1813 Possession of handguns in legislative buildings.

Summary:
    Possession of handguns in legislative buildings.

Prohibits the possession of a firearm in the Capitol and the General Assembly Building. The bill also allows a person who is lawfully carrying a handgun to check the handgun with the Capitol Police when entering the Capitol or the General Assembly Building. The prohibition would not apply to members of the General Assembly or to law-enforcement officers.
    Actual bill guts:
    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 18.2-283.2 as follows:

§ 18.2-283.2. Possession of handguns in legislative buildings.

A. No person shall possesses a firearm while in the Capitol of Virginia or in any other building owned by the Commonwealth and used predominately for the conduct of the business of the General Assembly.

B. Any person who lawfully possesses a handgun may check the handgun with the Capitol Police upon entering the Capitol of Virginia or any other building owned by the Commonwealth and used predominately for the conduct of the General Assembly. The Capitol Police shall keep any checked handgun in a secure location and shall return the handgun to its owner immediately prior to the owner's exit from the building.

C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any member of the General Assembly or to any law-enforcement officer.
    Observations:

• "shall possesses" -- penalty flag for grammar and spelling
    • "...any other building owned by the Commonwealth and ... " Oooh, sneaky!
    • "may check the handgun with the Capitol Police ..." Here, take my Glock, please! And for God's sake, no ND!
    • "The provisions of this section shall not apply to ... " the anointed ones. Typical.

The GAB on Lobby Day is probably the safest place in the state!

B. Any person who lawfully possesses a handgun may check the handgun with the Capitol Police upon entering the Capitol of Virginia or any other building owned by the Commonwealth and used predominately for the conduct of the General Assembly. The Capitol Police shall keep any checked handgun in a secure location and shall return the handgun to its owner immediately prior to the owner's exit from the building after first running the serial number and entering it into a national database and micro engraving all of your ammunition.
    Text in RED is Ed's own embelishment
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Delegate Pope feels "very uneasy" around OC

Perhaps Pope should seek treatment for his apparent hoplophobia:

Hope, who is in his second year in the legislature, said he was taken aback last year when he first found himself riding the elevator with a man who had a gun strapped to his leg.

"I felt very uncomfortable and very uneasy," he said in an interview. He said he drafted the bill several weeks ago, before the events in Arizona, but said they illustrate why such a move would be smart.

"We've got take every prudent action to protect ourselves, our staff and the public," he said.

Never did I think I would see the day that Mr Nap would turn his back on the Army of Northern Virginia

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    As yet, there is only one sponsor - the delegate himself.

Ensure you let your delegate know you believe sponsoring this bill is sending a message of separation from their constituency and further alienating them.

And that your vote will go elsewhere.

VCDL has had many successful Lobby Days in the past, and this year's should be even bigger and better than previous ones. Good luck, guys!
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    As yet, there is only one sponsor - the delegate himself.

Ensure you let your delegate know you believe sponsoring this bill is sending a message of separation from their constituency and further alienating them.

And that your vote will go elsewhere.
    Nicely written, Tess.

Unless plans change, it appears Delegate Hope has scheduled a Press Conference at the General Assembly Building:

01/13/2011 11:00 a.m
    Press Conference - Hope's Proposal to Help Preserve and Protect Virginia's Medicaid Program; House Briefing Room, General Assembly Building

Delegate Pope needs a visit on lobby day

If he ends up on my agenda, I will invite him to the range. He needs to realize that there are many nice friendly Virginians who also carry firearms. Likely he has never handled one.

Revise that to" Delegate Hope"

otherwise no changes. It seems one cannot edit a heading.

Postcard Sent

I plan on stopping by his office on Monday as well.

Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Let's do it. Just wait about a year until I move to the real Virginia.
    Lynchburg?

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Text in RED is Ed's own embelishment
    It didn't say I have to give up my ammo too

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    VCDL has had many successful Lobby Days in the past, and this year's should be even bigger and better than previous ones. Good luck, guys!
    Last year I received many emails from VCDL about Lobby Day. This year and I have received maybe one buried in the standard alert. At least, I haven't checked my email this week but I am sorely disappointed at the lack of premobilization planning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast